Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Straight Razor

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Straight Razor « Previous Next »

Green Meanie (Greenmeanie)
le Duc
Username: Greenmeanie

Post Number: 324
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the links Jack.

There are some SWEET razors out there at some HEFTY prices. Get a load of those Frenchie ones!! Damascus even!

I guess these things must be gaining in popularity for the prices (and workmanship) to be so high.

Thanks again.
Ober-Gruppen Fuhrer
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1188

Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm no expert, but here are a few sites that seem to have a nice selection:

http://www.shavingsupplies.com/
http://premiumknives.com/

You can also check your local cutlery store (I know the Chesapeake Knife and Tool chain out here sells them) and your local beauty/barber supply. Straight razors are actually trendy as a hair-cutting tool. Also, tobacconists sometimes carry them.
Green Meanie (Greenmeanie)
le Duc
Username: Greenmeanie

Post Number: 323
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Blackjack,

Where would I go about getting a good straight razor and strop? I am under the impression that good stropping leather is a bear to find and kinda $$.
Ober-Gruppen Fuhrer
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1182

Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's a combination of a broad foundation of knowlege, excellent research skills, and the capacity to rapidly assimilate new information. Much of the stuff about steel I've picked up from my sword collecting.

I did make a small error in regards to stropping. It turns out most stropping paste is NOT abrasive (tho there are some which are), and that the primary purpose of stropping is not to remove metal to hone the edge, but to straighten the edge, which is thin enough to curl over from the stress of use. It's the same principle as steeling a kitchen knife.
Mssr. Arsénique Kallisti (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3796

Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Goddamn Blackjack, your brain must be
the size of a Butterball Turkey.

Do you actually know all this stuff
ahead of time or do you research these
questions after the fact? I guess it doesn't
matter, your retention of this information
is singularly amazing.

I feel dumb.
GO LIVE !!!
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1180

Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The stainless/carbon issue isn't that black and white. There are stainless steels with good edge retention, and carbon steels that don't. Carbon content, and how a steel is hardened, are more important in terms of edge retention than its chromium content (which is what makes a steel "stainless").

There are quite a few high-carbon stainless steels that have excellent edge-retention, like ATS-34 and CPM-440V (tho the latter is so tough to sharpen I ssupect it would make a lousy razor). All-in-all, I would suspect that corrosion would be more of a danger to a good edge than any of the shortcomings of stainless steel, anyway, in a moist environment.

Stainless steels ARE more brittle, generally speaking, because of a longer grain structure, but that is really only an issue with longer items that experience a lot of flexion or tortion, like swords or mechanical parts.

And be careful with the term "carbon steel". Depending on who is using it and in what context, it can mean any non-stainless steel, OR any high carbon steel (even stainless ones) suitible for knifemaking, OR only low-alloy steels without chromium, vanadium, molybdinum, etc. added to the mix. There are plenty of alloy steels that aren't stainless, but aren't likely to be called "carbon steel" by somebody in the industry.
Raindog (Mephistopheles)
Mousquetaire
Username: Mephistopheles

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pay attention to the substance of the blade, some dovo's are made of stainless steel and some are of carbon steel. The carbon should hold a better edge but both need a correct stropping between shaves. I doubt that it is the razor, probably tecnique or the quality of your soap.
"I'm standing on the corner of fifth and vermouth... using parking meters as walking sticks" Tom Waits
Sambeau (Sambeau)
Mousquetaire
Username: Sambeau

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Raindog
I use a Dovo "ready for use" and a Dovo "special". I have a helluva time keeping the "special" sharp enough though.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 3789

Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Let alone pop a boner.

*meow!*
GO LIVE !!!
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 2128

Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And you're a goddam liar!!
There wasn't room to open a razor in your bathroom.
Hi, what're ya havin'?
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 3788

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had a nice one in Michigan.
Belonged to my Pop.

I had a rough winter where my apartment
was way too hot which made the place very
dry. So dry I'd wake up hacking up a bloody
mucousey scab-like substance.

I bought one of those room humidifers. Ran it
every night for two or three months. One day
I was looking at my shelf and there was the
razor, I opened it and the blade was 50% rusted
away. I never thought a razor could look more
frightening or dangerous.

Sinuses were fine though.
GO LIVE !!!
balzdeep (Swarez)
Mousquetaire
Username: Swarez

Post Number: 40

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Had a great-grandfather killed during a heated barber -shop argument by a straight razor -- actually bled to death 2 days after the fight. The family as a whole shies away from them now! Personally use a norelco -- like to have the 5:00 shadow at noon!
Hell, at least I can lick myself...
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1177

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Don't you use a strip of leather or something? Mind you, god knows how that would sharpen it... I thought it would make it as dull as a butterknife.

The leather strop is impregnated with particles of fine abrasive in wax, and the strop has enough give that it doesn't impose a secondary bevel the way a stone might. The abrasive "rouge" has to be re-applied every so often, but even plain leather (or even you jeans, if you're daring) can serve for the final honing.

You can get strops at most knife stores, BTW.

(I used a straight razor when I was a teenager because I thought it was cool. Like a lot of things I thought were cool back in the day, it seems like an awful lot of effort now...)
Raindog (Mephistopheles)
Paysan

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually its kind of funny but my left ear was cut off in an accident and my right one was bitten in half. So yes, I am very aware of and careful around my ears. Straight razors are sharpened by using a strop before the mornings shave.
"I'm standing on the corner of fifth and vermouth... using parking meters as walking sticks" Tom Waits
Robert Maxwell (Neongreen)
Mousquetaire
Username: Neongreen

Post Number: 23

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don't you use a strip of leather or something? Mind you, god knows how that would sharpen it... I thought it would make it as dull as a butterknife.
Retaining mystique, while facing forward.
Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 878

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I admire them but I don't use them. I see them in antique stores and flea markets and always barely avoid buying one. If you use them, how do you keep them sharp?

"Everybody said it was a shame,
that her momma was workin on a chain gang ...
A wretched, spiteful, straight razor totin woman"

Poke Sallet Annie
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
The Levitating Grin Salesman (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 271

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, and don't shave while drinking absinthe!
"Please pardon our appearance while we are levitating..."
Aion (Aion)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Aion

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Take care of your...

EARS

Skeeter (Masque)
le Vicomte
Username: Masque

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If I used a strait razor, I would cut my throat, I'm sure. Always wanted to learn how to properly though.
Raindog (Mephistopheles)
Paysan

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have in the past few months discovered the virtue and history of shaving with a straight razor. I have two dovo solingen razors and a late eighteen hundreds razor that I use on a daily basis. I wander if any others here disregard safety razors?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page