Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Another Absinthe party a big hit!

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Another Absinthe party a big hit! « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through August 20, 2003Aion (Aion)25 8-20-03  3:53 am
Archive through August 17, 2003Mssr. Arsénique Kall25 8-17-03  11:37 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 895
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Take all the credit you want Artemis"

I was just having a little fun with Chevalier; I think he recognized that.

"I never thought the thread would last this long."

Nor did I.

"So when I did finally decided to respond, Lordhobgoblin had basically summed it all up nicely."

You did good. Well done.
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 198
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Take all the credit you want Artemis, I never thought the thread would last this long. So when I did finally decided to respond, Lordhobgoblin had basically summed it all up nicely.
Green Meanie (Greenmeanie)
le Duc
Username: Greenmeanie

Post Number: 325
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Could Absintheminded be another incarnation of the dreaded OPIE!!!

Except with a dictionary/spell check.

Ober-Gruppen Fuhrer
Lordhobgoblin (Lordhobgoblin)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Lordhobgoblin

Post Number: 848

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes indeed Artemis did indeed spot it first. It was his attacks that prompted me to even give the posts on this thread a second look. I rarely pay much notice to threads outside of the Monkeyhole.
Mssr. Arsénique Kallisti (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3810

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think it's high time that those
greeters at Walmart start getting
their due. Because you know what?
Hugs are great but hugs aren't the
best when you try to pay the DAMN
electric bill!!!

GO LIVE !!!
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1270

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Trust a guy who lives in the belly of AOL and UUNet.

... and I'm lurking in the spleen of Mutt.

-k (the last underpaid tech worker of 2001 - and still counting)

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1189

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Our former CEO is #1 on Forbes 400.

That would be Bill Gates, for several years running.

http://www.forbes.com/2003/02/26/billionaireland.html

And the Microserfs have been hit just as hard by the bursting of the bubble as anybody. Maybe everybody he knows who STILL HAS A JOB is a millionaire, but even that I doubt. The only millionaires left in tech are either way up, or cashed in their options in 1997. Trust a guy who lives in the belly of AOL and UUNet.
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 570

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ouch
Escapee from the drunk tank
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 893

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"(Absintheminded has made a few more fishy posts since you last came calling.)"

Yes, but kicking cyber asses is thankless work - I can't be expected to carry the whole load. Anyway, it makes people call me Don and brings the Alphasoixantes out of the bushes to call me paranoid. So I leave the battle in good hands with General Lord Hob. Don't fuck it up like your ancestors did at New Orleans, Hob.
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1412

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Artemis, this is Jesus. You rang?

Seriously, I *almost* wrote that "you and Artemis spotted some fishiness", but changed my mind. I thought that Hobgoblin took the argument as far as it could go. To be fair, Lord H had even more fishy details to work with than than you did. (Absintheminded has made a few more fishy posts since you last came calling.)

Yes, you spotted the cuckoo bird first, called him a cuckoo, and then ignored him. Good idea. It's not worth further attention, and I won't give it any.

Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 892

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry I can't make it; too much happening on the home front. Don't shoot your eye out, kids ...
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 2129

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, it's on to Absinthetown.
This year's Louche Fest kicks off on Saturday and lasts until Wednesday.
Next year's will be the 3rd wkend in July, for those who wish to make the pilgrimage.
HG by the gallon (literally!), BBQ, and the Homie Bar. Should be enough for anyone.
Hi, what're ya havin'?
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 890

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"A well thought out reply. You spotted some fishiness -- not to mention puffery -- that I didn't."

Jesus! What with Lord H., Bob, and some others, I feel like the cavalry has FINALLY come, after I've worn myself to a frazzle killing Indians, and now you say THEY spotted the redskins!!!! Do you honestly think I didn't immediately see everything Lord H. mentioned and then some? It's just not my style to deconstruct Disneyworld, I'd prefer to make sarcastic remarks about it and let nature take its course. The truth will out, as William said.

I award Lord H. the G.A. Custer award, if he can keep his hair till the dust has settled over the Little Bighorn River (or the Greasy Grass, I think the not-so-native Americans called it).
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 568

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"meant to tweak Head Prosthesis's nose. - I think that's the RED one.
Escapee from the drunk tank
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1411

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A well thought out reply. You spotted some fishiness -- not to mention puffery -- that I didn't.

That said, it's possible that "Serpis (I think that's the red one)" was tongue-in-cheek, meant to tweak Head Prosthesis's nose.

And as for the rich and their habits ... Absintheminded's word is as good as yours or mine. Who can say what his friends, co-workers and employers are like? We can only speculate, and that kind of speculation doesn't hold much water.

Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lordhobgoblin, I couldn't agree more.
Lordhobgoblin (Lordhobgoblin)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Lordhobgoblin

Post Number: 847

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chevalier,

From where I'm sitting Absintheminded's story does not stack up. I believe his story is a wind-up attempting to play people here for suckers. I've nothing against the bloke but I just do not believe his story. I believe he's either embellished it, exaggerated it, or made it up. Have a fresh look at some of the things he's posted.

He states that the first absinthe he tasted 13 years ago had 'Aux Extraits de planted D' Absinthe' on the label. When it is pointed out to him that this was not possible he back-peddles and says "I don't recall the exact statement on the bottle". Not recalling the exact statement on the label is entirely possible but recalling the precise wording 'Aux Extraits de planted D' Absinthe' as being what you seem to remember being on the bottle? It simply doesn't stack up.

He lists virtually a wide range of absinthe brands saying he has sampled them all over the years (which is entirely possible) and in this sentence also states "Serpis (I think that's the red one)". Nobody who has has sampled as much absinthe as Absintheminded has would 'think' that Serpis was the red one, they would KNOW it was the red one as it is visually very striking and not easy to forget.

"Absinthe was probably the EASIEST thing my friend was able to score." Score? This is absinthe not cocaine. Thirteen years ago I hadn't heard of absinthe but if you wanted to 'score' there was a lot of illegal substances readily available, a whole lot easier than getting hold of than a type of green liquer that very few people had heard of (even in the countries where it was being produced and sold legally) and hardly anybody was drinking.

"Just about everyone I work with that's been here over 10 years is a millionare, and the one's that have been here the longest are billionaires." Presumably since Absintheminded has left college 13 years ago he too is a millionaire (again that is possible). It's possible but I don't buy it. "While I do have money, I have money because I don't waste it" (from another thread). Any individuals I have come across that really DO have a lot of money do not boast about it or drop the fact into conversations just for the sake of it. The people that DO boast about their money tend to be comfortably off yuppies wanting to score points over others. If you fell the need to tell people you have money it means you don't really have all that much of it. I don't buy this multi-millionaire/billionaire society that Absintheminded tells us he lives in/is part off.

"In college he and others got a hold of that traveling through Europe guidebook written by other college kids (forget the name of it), which points out all the "right" spots to hit, and all the things to do and see. I think they lived out every section of that book." So his rich college friends found out about absinthe by using a guide book (put together by college students, as if a they'd know jack-shit about the "right" spots to hit anyway).

"He has a lot of friends and family in various parts of Europe, so he spent a lot of time over there. The tip came from a friend of his living in Spain at the time. I don't have all the details, but if you have money, and the right connections, anything is for the taking." Now the story changes, it was through a rich friend who through his vast wealth and connections managed to get hold of a bottle of absinthe. Why not just buy it for a few pesetas like other mortals do. We're supposed to be talking about absinthe here not buying some stolen Dali masterpieces.

I very rarely give Newbies a flaming. I don't mind when they come here asking dumb questions or when they ask about the 'halucinogenic' effects of thujone and so on. We've all been ignorant about the facts of many things in our lives. But when I see a story being portrayed as fact when it doesn't seem to stack up then I feel I should call it as I see it. I may be completely wrong about Absinthminded's story but I don't think I am.
Donnie Darko (Besançon)
Mousquetaire
Username: Besançon

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think Absintheminded's wealthy friend should give Moonman a break, and invest in his commercial ambitions...
--------------------------------------------------
Gretchen--"Donnie Darko, sounds like some kind of superhero or something"
Donnie--"What makes you think I'm not?"
The Levitating Grin Salesman (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 281

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree that Spanish absinthe was indeed available 13 years ago, but this guy does seem a tad bit fishy...

"Please pardon our appearance while we are levitating..."
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1410

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lord H, hang on a mo'.

Spanish absinthe existed 13 years ago. Some people were buying it, or it wouldn't have existed at all. Tourists are people, too. And some tourists are very rich.

Ergo ... why not give Absintheminded a break?

The Levitating Grin Salesman (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 280

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'll be there on Saturday.

"Please pardon our appearance while we are levitating..."
Mssr. Arsénique Kallisti (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3808

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I guess it's on to Absinthe Town, PA then?
The new home of Absinthe.
GO LIVE !!!
pierre verte (Petermarc)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Petermarc

Post Number: 486

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out of the VDT...
that said, one of my best experiences was an afternoon with him, ted and eric...

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page