Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Larsand Question

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Larsand Question « Previous Next »

Aion (Aion)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Aion

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 4:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

different people, different taste buds,
different preferences.

Just found it quite amusing to see a
post using almost exactly the words
I thought when I sampled that product.

Tuivel (Tuivel23)
Mousquetaire
Username: Tuivel23

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"acrid... lemon... overpowering... sickly..." there's one thing i'd add...

acrid... lemon... overpowering... sickly... yummy

I guess i must have perverted taste buds or something
Aion (Aion)
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 187
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 4:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"acrid... lemon... overpowering... sickly..."

perfect review!
simon pedersen (Simon)
le Vicomte
Username: Simon

Post Number: 66

Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I got hold of a bottle of Larsand while shiing back in 1997 and still had some left to compare to a bottle Federico sent last year and they where both fairly different in taste and color.

1997 - This had a darker olive tint and louched more white yet oppalescent. There was a strong taste of wormwood, fennel and mint present.

Current bottle - Lighter in color with a stronger louche and more acrid taste. Mint flavour seemed to have gone and become replaced with a lemon type taste. - Not as nice.

I find the current Larsand overpowering and sickly. One glass is fine, but then i have to reach for something different.
Tuivel (Tuivel23)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"that green isn't natural" how do you know that for sure? It seems to be a bit on the dark side but i think it's even a bit lighter than sebor and sebor seems to be colored naturally. At least i think thats what MR. Sebor claimed + it changes to a pale yellow when exposed to air&sunlight for a few hours.
If sebors color is natural, Larsands color at least has a chance to be natural as well. But i don't know if either one of these is colored the 'traditional way'. I guess a natural color may also derive from herbs or extracts that shouldn't be in Absinthe.

And as far as the taste is concerned. It has a stronger wormwood flavor than any oilmix i have encountered but the bitternes is still so slight as i would expect it from distilled wormwood. But maybe there are also some decent wormwood oils on the market that don't fuck up the taste when used in detectable amounts?

N.S. 55 tastes to me like "Wannabe-Larsand for poor guys". They have more in common in their smell but tastewise Larsand is much better and more complex in my opinion + Larsand has a more pronounced wormwood flavour that i like very much.
And i don't mind the (star)anise, i know it's a bit overdone but still within a reasonable limit. But i love anise so maybe i'm biased *g*

"very little similarity to any of the distilled absinthes you mention." It's no Pernot for sure but there's a little something in there that reminds me of those distilled absinthes. Some 'dark' taste, i can't really describe it. But maybe i'm imagining things :-)

Anyway thank everyone for the input but I still heard no facts or real arguments why it is or isn't distilled/naturally colored.
Why does it taste like an oil mix to you?

And here's a quote from Zman7:
"Many oil mixes give themselves away by when you add ice to your drink, large oily/waxy clumps appears (ala Deva, MariMayans, etc). Larsand does not do this. " Maybe not quite what i would call scientific evidence but an interesting fact.
Aion (Aion)
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 186
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Almost for sure it is an oil mix.
Tastes like cough sirup imho.
Dont┤t like it!
balzdeep (Swarez)
Mousquetaire
Username: Swarez

Post Number: 41

Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

GOOD STUFF (If you like Spanish). Concur that it is close to NS/Candela, maybe a bit less "spicey," but much more complex than Deva, Serpiss, and Lasala. Not to be compared in the least to Huguet!
Hell, at least I can lick myself...
Donnie Darko (Besanšon)
Mousquetaire
Username: Besanšon

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

that green isn't natural, but I believe it is distilled, though I have no clue as to how they distill it. It's a real licorice bomb though. Tastes like Ouzo with wormwood.
--------------------------------------------------
Gretchen--"Donnie Darko, sounds like some kind of superhero or something"
Donnie--"What makes you think I'm not?"
Spoon Boy (Absinthespoon)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Absinthespoon

Post Number: 347

Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Larsand just tastes like an oil mix to me. I think it has much in common with NS (Candela) and very little similarity to any of the distilled absinthes you mention.
Tuivel (Tuivel23)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The buyers guide says: "From memory, this is indeed a distilled absinthe, I visited this factory and the one from Huguet. Adolf Huguet III told me that his was macerated but Larsand was distilled."

But people in this Forum keep saying it's an oil mix.

I'm just curious if anyone knows for sure if Larsand is distilled or just mixed? I have the impression that it's flavour has more in common with the distilled absinthes i have tasted(Emile68,Guy,Segarra,Kübler57,Lemercier72) than with the oilmixes. (Pernod,LaFee,Versinthe,...)
And what about the colour? Do they dump in some foodcolouring or is it naturally coloured? Anyone know?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page