Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through August 17, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Another Absinthe party a big hit! » Archive through August 17, 2003 « Previous Next »

Mssr. Arsénique Kallisti (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3798

Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"As a couple of you had pointed out, I was certinaly not boasting, and I assure you I'm not here to sell anyone anything."

YAY!

"I happened accross this forum a few weeks ago and thought it would be a nice place to chat with others about Absinthe."

That's not entirely impossible.

"If you don't want new folks here, then make it a private forum, closed to new comers."

It sort of is isn't it? You
did have to register right?

"I'd have no problem with that. You want me to leave, then Admin, just tell me and I'll move on."

Your cooperation isn't necessary. But thanks
for the Heads Up!

"I'm no expert on absinthe,"

Those people are dead.

"nor did I ever claim. That's one of the reasons I joined this forum was to learn more about a drink that I have enjoyed."

How's that going for ya?

"Artemis, you stepped way over bounds and I don't appreciate it."

Honestly, that's nothing.
You haven't looked at the
archives have you?

A little trial by fire never hurt
anyone. Here have a cookie...bite me!

"I don't think anything that I said warranted the type of verbal abuse you have dished out in this forum. If you have something to say, then say it to my face in private."

Whatever... take a cold shower.

Unfortunately you joined a Forum
with a low tolerance for mistakes.
Most of the folks here have been
around for a looooong time. There are
other "kinder gentler" english speaking
Forums out there but they haven't been
around for more than 8 months and any
information they got that is accurate
was from reading this one or from having
been involved in this here Forum.

You won't find a larger group of
people who are as highly educated
about Absinthe than the crotchety
old bastards here.

Do what thou wilt, but

we reserve the right...
GO LIVE !!!
AbsintheMinded (Absintheminded)
Mousquetaire
Username: Absintheminded

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

As a couple of you had pointed out, I was certinaly not boasting, and I assure you I'm not here to sell anyone anything. I happened accross this forum a few weeks ago and thought it would be a nice place to chat with others about Absinthe. If you don't want new folks here, then make it a private forum, closed to new comers. I'd have no problem with that. You want me to leave, then Admin, just tell me and I'll move on.

I'm no expert on absinthe, nor did I ever claim. That's one of the reasons I joined this forum was to learn more about a drink that I have enjoyed.

Artemis, you stepped way over bounds and I don't appreciate it. I don't think anything that I said warranted the type of verbal abuse you have dished out in this forum. If you have something to say, then say it to my face in private.
Pervert Euchre (Perruche_verte)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Perruche_verte

Post Number: 502

Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What Raschied said.

I had the same thought as others when I read the words "extrait des plantes d'absinthe". Then I remembered that Lasala calls itself "Le Vrai Absinthe, Qualite' Superieure" and has done so for a long time, the fact that it's Spanish notwithstanding. Larsand and Huguet also call themselves "Absinthe" and have French verbiage on their labels, though neither says what Absintheminded might have misremembered them as saying.

Then there's Montana, which we only call Montana because that's the name of the distillery. The label just says "Absenta".

Any of these might have been around 13 years ago, or it might have been some now-vanished brand. The story itself is not implausible.

I don't think he's dangerous, and he's lost a lot of blood. Can we let the ambulance through now?
"Drink accomplished what God did not." --Marguerite Duras
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 3797

Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I personally, need a smoke.

GO LIVE !!!
Raschied Britannica (Raschied)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Raschied

Post Number: 363

Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, Artemis turned into Don when my back was turned!

Absintheminded, relax, man. You're cool with me, as long as you don't try selling me anything. This place has been on "Defcon 2" or Orange Alert (pink? Chartreuse? I can't keep that terror color thingie straight) for the past year because of a few assholes who start out with similar posts to yours, and then launch fraudulent services. Do a search on names like "Optimalsmarts" and you'll get the history.

Think of it like this - you are an Iraqi walking into a U.S. military compound with a suspicious package under your shirt.

Stay cool, keep your hands where everyone can see 'em, and we'll all get along fine.

Rock over London, Rock on Chicago.
Pontiac - We build Excitement.
Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 887

Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I have to go attend to my father whom just had a cancerous tumor removed."

Yeah, and I attended to mine as well, until it killed him.

And to my mother, who died with Alzheimer's disease, not able to remember who I was.

And to my grandmother, who died cursing and spitting on the priest who came to absolve her because in her dementia, she thought he was just another devil.

And I helped carry the coffin of my best friend who burned to death in his overturned truck, screaming because his foot was caught and he couldn't get out, while people stood around powerless to help him because of the flames.

That's life on this earth. If you think it's something different, you're in for a rude awakening.

And alphswishswash, contribute something of value to this board besides your snide criticism of me or go fuck yourself, you useless punk. Did I remember to say go fuck yourself?
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 886

Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"even if you were lying, who the hell with a life would care."

You know what? Fuck you.

You vastly overestimate the extent to which I "care" about these things. I don't like bullshit. I don't converse with bullshitters and I don't like it when bullshitters join the conversation. The day you contribute something, anything of value about absinthe to this board, then you can talk about bugs up asses and getting lives, you fucking loser. This is a fraction of my life, which is rich and satisfying beyond your wildest imagination. So kiss my ass now, and forever hold your pencil dick peace.

Did I remember to say fuck you?
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 3795

Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I heart you too, Alpha.

Ok so he's the absentminded Absintheminded.
That's cool. If there's a bug up my ass
I better go see the doctor. If I'm being
paranoid, well that's just par for the
course, I blame Robert Anton Wilson for
that.

I know it's not nice, I know that idle hands
are the devils workshop...

But gimmie a break Alpha, I'm protecting
you from would be terrorists. I'm protecting
you from Ayatollahs, Mustaphas
and Gunga Din Din Din!!!

The internet is a big scary place and I'm...

I'm BATMAN!

GO LIVE !!!
Donnie Darko (Besançon)
Mousquetaire
Username: Besançon

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anybody could have had Spanish Absenta 13 years ago, though no one could have had French Absinthe 13 years ago because there was no such thing, and certainly no bottle that said "Extraits Aux Plantes D'Absinthe" or whatever. It's not that big of a deal though. One of my favorite Onion headlines is "Factual Error Found on Internet!!!"

The knee jerk reaction is understandable as there seems to be a plethora of individuals on these forums lately who know very little about absinthe, but act like they're veterans. Those charlatans end up spreading all sorts of disinformation which is not to the benefit of the drink. I think it's worthwhile to call them on it, even if their intentions are friendly and benign.

I think I know of the troll Artemis is suspecting. He pops up from time to time promoting these Absinthe parties which seem to be a front for shilling whatever crap Absinthe it is he's reselling. I don't think Absintheminded is the person in question, but there were enough similarites to warrant a raised eyebrow.
--------------------------------------------------
Gretchen--"Donnie Darko, sounds like some kind of superhero or something"
Donnie--"What makes you think I'm not?"
Alphasoixante (Alphasoixante)
le Duc
Username: Alphasoixante

Post Number: 142

Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

head, i love you, but what's the big deal? i don't think the 13 year comment was a boast. and even if it was, i simply do not understand why would anyone care.

unless you thought he said something about "13 inches"... in that case this pissy little thread would be perfectly reasonable. by all means, bring out the pistols. that would be some serious stuff.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 3794

Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's always funny when
the "get a life" finger is
targeting, all I see is the
other three aimed straight
back home.

GO LIVE !!!
Alphasoixante (Alphasoixante)
le Duc
Username: Alphasoixante

Post Number: 141

Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

absintheminded. you seem like an easygoing reasonable sort. just ignore it; you won't get anywhere trying to reason with these people. there's a high paranoia and bug-up-the-ass quotient in this forum. in some cases the bug is bigger and more crotchety than others.

cripes. even if you were lying, who the hell with a life would care.
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hmm, yes so sorry the details of the events of 10-13 years ago are a bit sketchy, but honestly, I have no need to "bullshit" anyone. Maybe 13 years ago when I was in college, because back then drinking was a status thing, but at my age now with 2 kids and a wife, lying about some frigging green liqueur is low on my list of priorites in this day and time. So unless someone can prove beyond reasonable doubt that I am lying, lets move on and stop wasting useless profanities on one another. I would hope we have more important things to discuss, and I have to go attend to my father whom just had a cancerous tumor removed.

cheers
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 885

Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I don't appreciate the harassment you've been dishing out on this board. Its getting to be a bit much."

You haven't begun to see what I can dish out on this board, but I've never harassed anyone. Everybody here knows I have an extremely low bullshit tolerance and almost everybody here saw as I did that your "experiences" don't jibe with reality. The houseboy called you on it first. He might have been gentler than I was, but trust me; I know him well - you registered on his smell-o-meter just like on mine; that's why he questioned you. Mr. Darko did the same.

If you're not the troll in question, well and good. But if you think people calling ANYBODY on obvious bullshit here is harassment, you're in for a rough time.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 3793

Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

We used to mix the stuff with 7UP

You are quite unfamiliar with the Slerpis???

That is to say THE RED one!

Ok no one EVER EVER talks about TABU...
TABU for a reason?
GO LIVE !!!
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't recall the exact statement on the bottle, but it looked similar to the one on the current batches, so maybe I was mistaken, who knows. What I do know is that the bottle clearly said Absinthe and it tasted about the same as Deva. I also swore he found one in Italy as well. It was pretty nasty though, very bitter. He only did this for a couple of years during our college years 10-13 years ago. That was the last time we had any (because he was out of school and no longer living with the folks).

In the fall of 2000 my friend and some of the guys that work for me were sent over to Europe (Spain, Germany, London, Italy and several others) to open various offices for our company. That's when they stumbled on it again. And when La Fee first came out we ordered a case. From there I had them pick up various brands as time went on over the past couple of years.

I'm not sure why all this is so hard to believe, it didn't seem like that big a deal back in those days. Heck, we didn't even really know what it was about until several years later when I read about it. We used to mix the stuff with 7UP, which is a dreadful thought these days.

In any case, you can take it our leave it. The real point here is that I treated 8 new individuals to a wonderful drink and they are excited about it. Lets focus on that, and not at calling me a liar, which will get us all no where.
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1268

Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You do understand that the statement "Aux Extraits de planted D' Absinthe" put all of our antennas up.

This labeling phenomena is about 3 years old, if that. Did you mean 3 or 13 years?

COB raised some good points, if a little prickly...

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

COB, I'm not the so called "troll" who lies that you speak of. I just joined this forum. And who the hell are you to tell me what I have and have not experience in my life! As if you would know. I don't appreciate the harassment you've been dishing out on this board. Its getting to be a bit much.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 3792

Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

13 years? WOW!

GO LIVE !!!
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 884

Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There's a particularly pathetic troll who feels the need to invade this board time after time. Sometimes his lies are remarkable for their sheer audacity (one time he was drinking some obscure absinthe in Spain, sitting on a tiled veranda watching a rainbow or some such). Sometimes they are remarkably drab (generic party, cardboard cutout guests, etc.). The only thing consistent is that he's boring, never has anything new to offer, and he continuously underestimates the intelligence and experience of the regulars here by lightyears, thinking they won't immediately see through the obvious inconsistencies and outright lies that infuse his posts. He brings a knife to a gunfight.
You are of course correct, Mr. Darko. The only absinthe anyone would have found in Europe 13 years ago would have been bootleg in Switzerland, garbage passing for absinthe in Czechoslovakia, and the Spanish products, which almost certainly did not give away on the label that they were absinthe; you would have had to do more than scan the bottles in a liquor store to know what you were buying.
Donnie Darko (Besançon)
Mousquetaire
Username: Besançon

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

When I started drinking Absinthe around 3 years ago, the only commercial French Absinthe available was La Fee, and that had just come out. Aside from that there was NO French Absinthe. The only thing you would have had from a small distillery would have indeed been from a very small one, probably someone's kitchen stove.

I'm pretty sure the only thing that would have been available 13 years ago was Spanish Absenta (Segarra & Montana?). Even the Czech republic didn't hop on the bandwagon till a few years ago. La Bleue I'm sure existed, but I don't think anyone outside of Switzerland had access to that till a few years ago?
--------------------------------------------------
Gretchen--"Donnie Darko, sounds like some kind of superhero or something"
Donnie--"What makes you think I'm not?"
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 882

Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"That first bottle we had was pretty generic. I don't know who it was made by."

How convenient. Hillary could have done no better.

"It was a plain ole green bottle with a simple label on it that said Aux Extraits de planted D' Absinthe."

That would pretty much limit it to France. Although there was no legal absinthe in France four years ago and those words are a much more recent invention, if I remember my Sepulchritude forum over the past TWO years, and I think I do.

"We had several different brands over the years. Most of which I don't think are around anymore."

Right. So many absinthe distilleries have gone out of business since the old days, four years ago.

"Most of them were from small distilleries I'm sure, and tasted that way."

And just how does product from small distilleries taste? The best absinthe in the world is produced for the most part in microscopic distilleries. Indeed, there's no such thing as a LARGE absinthe distillery today, not one producing real absinthe, anyway.

"About 4 years ago he was working in London on a project, so he would send home various brands he would find on the weekends when he was out scouting."

Yes, the intrepid consumer had a hard time back then in London, choosing between Hills and Hills.

Thirteen years, my crochety rubber ass.

Mousquetaire

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

A friend of mine and his parents would go to Europe every year. When we were both in college, years ago, he found this drink called Absinthe when he was over there (don't recall which country he was in at the time) and he heard all sorts of things about it. So he brought some back for us.

That first bottle we had was pretty generic. I don't know who it was made by. It was a plain ole green bottle with a simple label on it that said Aux Extraits de planted D' Absinthe. That was about it. It was very good. Now that I know a lot more about absinthe, I can say it was decent drink. But back then we had no clue on how to "properly" drink absinthe, so we would mix it with things like 7UP and other mixers to make it a little less potent.

Every year after that it became sort of a mission of his to find us some more Absinthe when he was in Europe. We had several different brands over the years. Most of which I don't think are around anymore. Most of them were from small distilleries I'm sure, and tasted that way.

About 4 years ago he was working in London on a project, so he would send home various brands he would find on the weekends when he was out scouting. He was there for about 2 years. We were both broke for quite a while. During that time I've tried many of those mentioned here. All the usual brands (too many to remember now). Sebor, Hill's, La Fee, Segarra, Pernod 68, Kubler, Deva, Serpis (I think that's the red one), Un Emile 68 & Sapin, Oxygenee, Czech Strong and others.

I'm VERY happy that it's become a big business again and we now have quality goods. These newer, more refined Abinsthes like Un Emile 68 are so much better then some of those generic brands we drank years ago. When La Fee came out my buddy and I were all over it. We ordered a case as soon as we found it. It was pretty good, but once I tasted Un Emile, it was all over!

It's been a lot of fun over the years. We always looked forward to that next bottle with lots of anticipation!

Here are the one's I would like to try, but haven't yet: François Guy, Un Emile la Blanche, any of the good la Bleues. Just too many to list!
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 3790

Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

13 years?
What's the first thing you drank?
How did you come across it?

That's a lotta years of experience.
Tell old Heady Head more...

GO LIVE !!!
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It had been quite a while since I last hosted an absinthe party, so I figured it was time. We invited several couples over to experience the green drink. Many of whom had not tried it before (my wife and I have been enjoying various brands for about 13 years now).

I decided to mix it up a bit an offer a couple of different absinthe brands to see what people liked. We had my favorites, Un Emile 68 and Un Emile 68 "Sapin" as well as a couple of bottles of P68 (call me crazy, but I like the taste).

It was real interesting how things went, because by the end of the night the two sexes were polarized on which drink they liked the best. The guys seemed to like the Un Emile & "Sapin" and the girls really liked the P68. The ladies felt that the P68 was a bit smoother and not as "strong". I on the other hand, have always liked the smooth taste of the Un Emile 68.

In any case, it was a great success and there are now 8 more people out there who have tried the delicious green drink and it's ritual and now want more! It was a lot of fun showing them how to perform the ritual. The ladies were really facinated by the whole experience (the guys were like, yeah, yeah, let's just drink already).

In any case, it was a blast! Hope you all had fun with the La Fee Verte tonight as well :-)

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page