Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Looking for suggestions on next order

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Looking for suggestions on next order « Previous Next »

AbsintheMinded (Absintheminded)
Mousquetaire
Username: Absintheminded

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, September 1, 2003 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I received the Blanche last week and it was indeed very good. I found it a little better tasting then the other two Emile's. A little smoother, and less herbal, but not much. Overall I think it's probably my new favorite Emile. I can't wait to try the new products coming out!

Thanks to all who recommended the Un Emile Blanche. I will also be ordering some others very soon, of which I haven't had much. At a couple of "parties" in the past I've had a sip or glass of some of those from Spain, but haven't given them much attention. Probably focus my order in that direction this next week.

BTW, the flask of blanche didn't survive the night. mmm, mmm good...
Robert B (Labrat)
Paysan
Username: Labrat

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

With the Blanche I found that you get the best results by diluting to your preference (i do 1:5) and throwing it in the freezer for about 20 - 30 minutes. It seems the flavor really comes out in the Emile products with this method (and is the ONLY way I prepare them currently).
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

LDF is great. On my last order, I placed it on a Tuesday and it showed up Friday. That was fast!
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 574

Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

With LDF there's not much waiting involved.

Escapee from the drunk tank
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Robert! Sounds like Un Emile Blanche is a pretty safe bet, so I just placed my order! Can't wait...
Robert B (Labrat)
Paysan
Username: Labrat

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would go with any of the Un EMile 68 variations before I spend cash on a bottle of Betina's La Bleue. I did purchase a bottle of the #3 from her for the insane price of 200 bucks. While her service is good/professional, and the #3 is quite tasty, I must say that the Un Emile varieties are better (in a traditional sense) IMHO.

If you are looking to sample some variety in better commercial products, I suggest F. Guy and Segarra as products that deliver relatively decent artisanship and contrasting (unorthodox) textures. For amusement, you may as well try Kubler 57, which is NOT on par with better clandestine La Bleues (and why the Swiss scoff at commercialization of their 'art').
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No, I wasn't referring to Serpis. I was responding to Donnie Darko and the others. Clearly (and rightfully so) there are some Absinthes out there that are far more expensive then they should be.

I certainly don't have anything against Serpis (although I do need to try it again!).
Mssr. Arsénique Kallisti (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3806

Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"While I do have money, I have money because I don't waste it. So, while I don't mind spending $200 on a bottle of high quality stuff, I'm not so stupid I will waste it on something clearly not worth it."

If you're talking about SERPIS!
and you've really read the archives
then you won't be so offended when I
tell you to go screw yourself, with a
May Pole.

Oh wait... $200 dollars a bottle
you must be talking something else.
Nevermind.

SERPIS! it's your best money!

GO LIVE !!!
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

While I do have money, I have money because I don't waste it. So, while I don't mind spending $200 on a bottle of high quality stuff, I'm not so stupid I will waste it on something clearly not worth it.

Right now I'm saving the majority of my Absinthe fund for 2 things, an Absinthe foutain (love to get a nice 4-6 spout) and a boat load of Jade when it comes available some day.

It sounds like the Un Emile Blanche is a safe bet, so I'll probably order that and maybe the F. Guy as well. I saw it was rated pretty good as well.

Thanks for the advice!
Mssr. Arsénique Kallisti (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3803

Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

SERPIS!
HELLO!!!!

GO LIVE !!!
Pervert Euchre (Perruche_verte)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Perruche_verte

Post Number: 503

Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

At that price, I would expect something silicone-based in a pump bottle, at least, plus a gift-wrapped condom sampler.

You haven't tried F. Guy? Try it, and definitely try the Emile Blanche, before you go spending $225 for a wee little 750 mL bottle of anything.
"Drink accomplished what God did not." --Marguerite Duras
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You think after spending $225 on a $40 bottle of La Bleue, she would at least send you some complimentary vaseline.
Donnie Darko (Besançon)
Mousquetaire
Username: Besançon

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, that depends on if you use $100 bills as kleenex's or not. Paying $225 for a bottle of anything is silly, especially when they don't use grape spirit and are rarely over 55% alcohol. And since Betty was so adamant about Emile Blanche being E68 without the colouring step, why don't you try Emile Blanche for yourself and decide whether she's telling the truth? Her La Bleues are very tasty, but not $130 better than Emile Blanche.

Emile Blanche is in my opinion the best commercial absinthe you can buy. It's very similar to Swiss La Bleue, but higher in alcohol and probably a simpler recipe.

Moonman's stuff is very good (I've tried 15, 19, 20, 21 and have a #23 on the way soon), but you have to literally order 2 months in advance and it usually sells out in less than 6 hours.
--------------------------------------------------
Gretchen--"Donnie Darko, sounds like some kind of superhero or something"
Donnie--"What makes you think I'm not?"
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Those are both on my list, as well as the Un Emile Blanche and a few others. Out of those 3 (Moonman's, Betty's #2 and the Un Emile Blanche) which do you think would be best to try first?

Thanks Wolfgang.
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you`r talking about Betty LaBleu, try the #2 first.

And one day, you should also try Moonman's elixir...
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have been doing a LOT of reading through the archives, the buyers guide, etc. There is a wonderful wealth of knowledge in here, no doubt about it.

I'm about to purchase my next batch of Absinthe in the next few days or so and I am humbily asking for your well educated guidence. So far I have already tried the following: Sebor, Hill's, La Fee, Segarra, Pernod 68, Kubler, Deva, Serpis (but only one drink), Un Emile 68 & Sapin, Oxygenee and Czech Strong.

In the next batch I would like to try one of the La Bleue's. In that category there are a couple that have gotten very good reviews, so I wanted to get your feedback.

I greatly appreciate anyone's constructive guidence in helping me choose between a couple of very good products. What would be great is if you would be so kind as to list say the top 2-5 La Bleue's, in order, I would be greatful. What I will probably end up doing is ordering the most common #1 this round and then #2 or 3 next round.

Thanks all.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page