Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through August 20, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Another Absinthe party a big hit! » Archive through August 20, 2003 « Previous Next »

Aion (Aion)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Aion

Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 3:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Peter,
Guess you are speaking of M. P.A. Delachaux.

I remember that Swiss TV-doku, where he said:
"You cannot buy absinthe anywhere in the world,
you´ll have to come to the Val-de-Travers, make
personal contacts, find new friends, and then
the door opens....".
That was about 4-5 years ago.

pierre verte (Petermarc)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Petermarc

Post Number: 485

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 3:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

>I´m still wondering, why these mega-buck-individuals didn´t already buy the whole Val-de-Travers (the people living there included), and perverted it into an Absinthe Disneyland.

because no one in the real world gives a shit, yet, and even kübler has been given un-ending grief for trying to commercialize the myth...the festival at boveresse seems to be getting smaller and the main swiss absinthe historian banned the festival this year and holed himself up in his house because of the perceived commercialization, of which, there is very, very little...this is a very french (that corner of switzerland is french)attitude... there is now a shop that sells just pastis and absinthe in marseille (something that couldn't be more commercially obvious); it was created by a belgian...
Aion (Aion)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Aion

Post Number: 189
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I´m still wondering, why these mega-buck-individuals didn´t already buy the whole Val-de-Travers (the people living there included), and perverted it into an Absinthe Disneyland.

Hey, what about buying Ted as personal
absinthe-slave!!

Lordhobgoblin (Lordhobgoblin)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Lordhobgoblin

Post Number: 846

Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Absintheminded,

So you're surrounded by a great many Multi-millionaire and billionaire friends? So you've been drinking absinthe for 13 years brought back from Europe by some rich college kids after following a guide book (I presume you mean the 'rough guide') telling them the 'right' places to hit, then you say that your rich college kid friend obtained absinthe by having money and the right connections?

I reckon you're full of shit.
AbsintheMinded (Absintheminded)
Mousquetaire
Username: Absintheminded

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I need that kinda money. What field
would that be?"

Software of course. Our former CEO is #1 on Forbes 400.

"I have a friend that
moved from the suburbs of Chicago
to work down in Sugarland and he has
a palace now for the price he was paying
in Chi-land. He also has heat and scorpions."

I did the exact same thing. Only the way we look at it, we no longer have cold-ass hard winters, snow, ice and have to shovel that white crap off the drive way. I'd gladly deal with the heat anyday over the cold wind of Chicago. Although I do miss the city and the nightlife. Texas has nothing compared to Chicago in terms of nightlife. Well maybe in Dallas, but it's still not the same. As for scorpions, never seen one.

"I got a friend who works for the Gubbment.
He says there ain't nothin' free. How the
hell do a ba-zil-ion-aire get away with gettin'
all over a foreign country fer free?"

Because his parents paid for it, along with the 10 other rich kiddies who went with them. My buddy grew up along the "gold coast" of Chicago. A lot of old money in them there coasts. They spent their summers over in Europe through high-school and college. In college he and others got a hold of that traveling through Europe guidebook written by other college kids (forget the name of it), which points out all the "right" spots to hit, and all the things to do and see. I think they lived out every section of that book.

"That bit about the well known fact of the
"all time availability" of Absinthe. How did
your friend know so many people and all the
right ones in order to get that widely available
homebrew?"

He's just one of those guys that seems to know where the happenin stuff is at. He has a lot of friends and family in various parts of Europe, so he spent a lot of time over there. The tip came from a friend of his living in Spain at the time. I don't have all the details, but if you have money, and the right connections, anything is for the taking. I honestly don't know how he does it some times. He just has that... mo jo I guess. I just don't know how else to explain it.

When he gets back to chitown I will be inquiring about it, because now I'm really interested. As I said before, at the time it really did not seem like that big of a deal. I certainly didn't understand it all until these past few weeks.
Mssr. Arsénique Kallisti (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3805

Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok so the foot question and the
langual questions are answered
how about the others?

"Just about everyone I work with that's been here over 10 years is a millionare"

I need that kinda money. What field
would that be? I have a friend that
moved from the suburbs of Chicago
to work down in Sugarland and he has
a palace now for the price he was paying
in Chi-land. He also has heat and scorpions.

GO LIVE !!!
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A multi, Multi millionaire is someone with over $100 million. Just about everyone I work with that's been here over 10 years is a millionare, and the one's that have been here the longest are billionaires. So how do you differentiate between the young kids with 1-10 million, the 30 somethings with with 10-100 million and the ole timers with billions. Anyway, just a term we throw around at work.

The ole saying that money can't buy happiness, was clearly coined by someone without money. All the millionaires I know are VERY happy :-)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 3804

Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't know nuthin' about nuthin'
that's why I ask questions.

I mean come on, last time I was in
the Val day Travels I asked a farmer
where I could get summa that fancy
white liquor, he filled my ass fulla
buckshot "Suisse cheese" style.

Townies were callin' me Alpine Lace
while I cut a choagie outta Dodge.

I may not be wealthy but I'm pretty rich.
GO LIVE !!!
balzdeep (Swarez)
Mousquetaire
Username: Swarez

Post Number: 43

Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Soaking your feet in Epson salts WILL make them feel better -- they will help to draw out fluid that is retained due to inflammation, and warm water helps to relax the muscles.
Hell, at least I can lick myself...
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 3802

Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

So let's close this thread already as it’s about a dead a horse as one can get!

Nope, I still have questions.

What's a multi-multi millionaire? Is that
higher than a billionaire or zillionaire?
Is that old money or are they nouveau riche?

I got a friend who works for the Gubbment.
He says there ain't nothin' free. How the
hell do a ba-zil-ion-aire get away with gettin'
all over a foreign country fer free?

That bit about the well known fact of the
"all time availability" of Absinthe. How did
your friend know so many people and all the
right ones in order to get that widely available
homebrew?

I got corns on my bunyons, does soaking them
in epsom salts really make them feel better?

Grillin' is an ART,
Bacon is a SCIENCE.

GO LIVE !!!
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1409

Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Why not ask Artemis ... if you dare!

I was being puckish and a smartass. Absintheminded seemed to be reeling a bit from this thread, so I decided to prod him a bit. In a friendly way, of course.
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1184

Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

You have not been abused.

An actual conversation:

FRIEND: You hit me!
ME: I didn't hit you.
FRIEND: But...
ME: Are you unconscious?
FRIEND: No...
ME: Then I didn't hit you.
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ah, ok. sorry about that. My head was swirling from everything. Sorry. Peace.
Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 889

Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Hmmm, not abused... To me, the following is abuse (and in some states would constitute assault depending on body language at the time)" (alleged abuse snipped)

Not a word of which was directed to you. If you can't even follow a thread, I mean, what can I say?

"Why not ask Artemis?"

Ask me what?
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1407

Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Why not ask Artemis?
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"At least you'll tend to get straight information here, which is something."

I completly agree, which is why I joined up and have read just about everything on this site. It truly is the best place to get information on Absinthe.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 3800

Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Correct Mike!

Welcome to the Forum AM.
Here's the silvadene.

GO LIVE !!!
Michael (Turangalila)
Mousquetaire
Username: Turangalila

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Absintheminded, I may have misunderstood but I don't think all of the fucking and pencil-dick stuff was directed at you...

It's pretty obvious that this forum doesn't tolerate bullshit; on the other hand the other forums I've seen are disasters of the Erowid ilk. At least you'll tend to get straight information here, which is something.
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"But I'll always get the last word."

You sound just like my wife. She ALWAYS gets the last word in every argument. I've just come to accept it. No since in fighting over something I will never win :-) Probably the best advice my dad gave me when I got married, the wife is always right and always gets the last word. Might as well get that through your head now. He was right!
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 3799

Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

But I'll always get the last word.
GO LIVE !!!
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"You have not been abused. Certain things you said have been DOUBTED in no uncertain terms. You aren't the first and won't be the last. When you have EARNED the credibility here that you tried to ASSUME, and very shakily at that, the doubting will stop."

Hmmm, not abused... To me, the following is abuse (and in some states would constitute assault depending on body language at the time):

"go fuck yourself", "Did I remember to say go fuck yourself?", "you fucking loser.", "So kiss my ass now, and forever hold your pencil dick peace.", "Did I remember to say fuck you?"

All of this because what I said could be "doubted" by a few people. Wow. So I guess that gives you the right to break 2-3 forum rules and call me a "fucking loser."

As far as the so-called "bullshit" I tried to sell you, it was possible to buy Absinthe 13 years ago. Absinthe was probably the EASIEST thing my friend was able to score. When you have parents that are multi, multi millionaires, a free pass throughout all of Europe & Asia, and a lot of connections, it was not very hard for him. More then likely it was some underground bootleg crap because it was generic and looked homegrown. It is a well-known fact that Absinthe has been available at all times, regardless of the so-called ban.

Regardless of all this crud, saying that I had a friend who scored some Absinthe 10-13 years ago, HARDLY justifies the reaction. If I was trying to pass myself off as an expert on Absinthe or some other crap as if I make the best stuff in the world, or something along those lines, ok then you have a right to challenge. However, to challenge someone on something as trivial and subjective of whether or not they had some Absinthe 10-13 years ago. I mean come on.

Yes, I admit I can't recall all the details and I don't have a picture or a bottle as proof, and no one here has proof to show that I didn't (unless you were there 10-13 years ago) so we'll call it a draw.

So let's close this thread already as it’s about a dead a horse as one can get!
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1181

Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Hmm, yes so sorry the details of the events of 10-13 years ago are a bit sketchy, but honestly, I have no need to "bullshit" anyone.

Mmmm...waffles...
Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 888

Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Wow, Artemis turned into Don when my back was turned!"

Yeah, I've already told Mr. Kallisti people were going to think that, but since there's quite a bit of nostalgia for the days of Don here, maybe some people got their money's worth in that little blast from the past.

Raschied, thank you for emphasizing the obvious.

Perruche, your post is logical as usual, but when you say: "the story itself is not implausible", the story YOU present is not implausible. The story as originally presented was quite a bit different.

Mssr. Kallisti, thanks for all you do.

Absintheminded:
"Artemis, you stepped way over bounds"

My bounds here are not determined, nor even fathomed, by you. You are the newbie here and as I told you before, you got off easy, so take the hints you've been given by several people and let it go.

"I don't think anything that I said warranted the type of verbal abuse you have dished out in this forum."

You have not been abused. Certain things you said have been DOUBTED in no uncertain terms. You aren't the first and won't be the last. When you have EARNED the credibility here that you tried to ASSUME, and very shakily at that, the doubting will stop.

"If you have something to say, then say it to my face in private."

If I have something to say? What did you think I was doing, spitting sunflower seeds? I have said 100% of what I have to say to you, and I said it in public just as you said what you had to say in public. You can keep your face private, thanks anyway.

"artemis. i honestly don't try to piss you off, but apparently i've got a talent for it"

Okay, I thought you made it a point to do it. Yes, you have that particular talent.

"it's a shame to let talent go to waste"

Maybe.

"there's a high paranoia and bug-up-the-ass quotient in this forum. any fair-minded person who considers the matter without prejudice will admit that's the case."

I have no idea what you're talking about, as to paranoia. Paranoia is mental illness. I am not mentally ill, nor am I even afraid, of anybody in here. What really pissed me off about what you said was the ("get a life") implication that I'm some computer-bound loser who lives to hand out shit to newbies on this forum. My life has its ups and downs but is more than fulfilling, completely apart from this forum, I can assure you. Anyway, if I had it in for newbies in general, why would virtully all of them pass unremarked by me, which is the undeniable case? I don't think there's any bug up anybody's ass, either. There is a lot of SHIT around out there about absinthe. This place is pretty close to unique in the world as a shit-free zone when it comes to absinthe. Some people are inclined to keep it that way, that's all.

With that said, this can be a confrontational place, but it's always been like that, and that hasn't kept it from becoming the premier site of its kind in the world. It needs no reformation on that score, in my opinion.

"i don't love you, but peace, artemis."

I don't even LIKE you, but neither do I wish you any harm. Thanks for responding calmly and evenly to my vulgar attack. I will make every attempt to avoid going off like that in the future.

"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
Alphasoixante (Alphasoixante)
le Duc
Username: Alphasoixante

Post Number: 144

Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I [sacred heart image] you too, Alpha."

the little cross inside is a bit unnerving, but thanks.

is that pure christian love (a la st. francis of assisi) or dirty christian love (a la st. augustine)? either way, i'll take what i can get.
Alphasoixante (Alphasoixante)
le Duc
Username: Alphasoixante

Post Number: 143

Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

artemis. i honestly don't try to piss you off, but apparently i've got a talent for it, and it's a shame to let talent go to waste. i thought my jibes were rather innocuous, and they were used solely in defese of the innocent.

in any case. i stand by what i said. there's a high paranoia and bug-up-the-ass quotient in this forum. any fair-minded person who considers the matter without prejudice will admit that's the case. that said, it's not a big deal. so no serious offense was intended. put away the measuring tape and your pistols.

i don't love you, but peace, artemis.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page