Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Staroplzenecky

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Staroplzenecky « Previous Next »

Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1431

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Head Prosthesis wrote:

"Starz O'Plenty is probably the
worst purchase I've ever made.
Of anything... Ever!"

Staroplzenecky responds:

"Dir Misztor Prosztiszisz,
Vi hav meid a nu abszinth yuszt vor yu. Zo vi hope szat yu vill enjoi eet and vill sztop critisziszink uzs vait naow!

Szincirli,
Sztarzoplenti Abszinth Compeni"

red

Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1192

Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Blackjack, given your post perhaps you should shove a bottle of cheap tequila up your ass...

Oh, deflate your dew-lap. I was making the point, as Artemis understood, that if you don't like anise, and you do like a harsh industrial flavor in your alcohol, that there are far better (and easier-to-get) choices than absinthe. I wasn't saying you aren't welcome here, or that there is anything wrong with your taste. Taste is taste, and it can't be right or wrong.

This does raise the issue of the recent popularity of "anise-free" absinthes in Germany. Of course, this stems from the marketing of absinthe as some sort of thujone-delivery-device, rather than a drink unto itself. To those with this mindset, the way the drink tastes, or is SUPPOSED to taste, is irrelevent, as long as there is a high (and most likely inaccurate) thujone content listed on the label.

As far as I'm concerned, if there is no anise of any sort involved, it may be a wormwood-based liquor, but it isn't absinthe. Now, it doesn't have to taste like being smacked in the head with a sockfull of black jellybeans (Mari Mayans), but if you want absinthe that doesn't taste like anise, you don't actually want absinthe.
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 202
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No one else here likes Pernod either. You should really try Francois Guy or Un Emile 68. Neither has any sugar added, and both are well balanced with anise. Both have little or no star anise, so there is no spicy bite, just a smooth drink. Segarra is also a popular absinthe here because it's a simple well made absinthe, but be forwarned it has a definite oak taste.
Raindog (Mephistopheles)
Mousquetaire
Username: Mephistopheles

Post Number: 19

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"With that said, "boundary bum" is a very fine additon to our vocabulary, even if I don't quite understand what it might mean, and thanks go to Raindog for that. It seems to me it might serve for a designator, such as "absinthe mafia", etc."

Thank you Crotchety Old Bastard, its the least I could do for creating this thread and replying while in a drunken stupor. What I meant to say is that while I like a medium anisette, having it overpower the drink is not something I am fond of. For example, a few years ago I bought a bottle of Pernod from the local ABC. Try as I may, it was far too strong and sweet to drink.

"I'm standing on the corner of fifth and vermouth... using parking meters as walking sticks" Tom Waits
Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 898
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I thought Blackjack's post was utterly rational.

1. No absinthe worthy of the name has anything like an "industrial solvent" taste.

2. All absinthes have some anise taste, and a lot of them have a strong anise taste.

3. Cheap tequila would then seem to be a viable option for someone who doesn't like the latter but doesn't mind the former. I don't think BJ was trying to be insulting at all, and Bob is right, too, you don't have to ASK for anybody's opinion here - if you post, you're going to get it.

With that said, "boundary bum" is a very fine additon to our vocabulary, even if I don't quite understand what it might mean, and thanks go to Raindog for that. It seems to me it might serve for a designator, such as "absinthe mafia", etc.
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc

Post Number: 200
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

I dont remember asking for any of your oppinions on staroplzenecky

If you don't want anyones elses opinion about something, then making a public post about it is probably not the best idea.

I thought blackjack was right on. You yourself said it "is not particularly tasty," and that it tastes like "industrial solvent." If you think it's that bad, why go to the trouble and expense of getting absinthe.

If you liked the taste of the stuff I could understand your being defensive about Staroplzenecky, but you've already admitted the stuff tastes like crap.
The Levitating Grin Salesman (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 283

Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Opinions" has only 1 p, "someone's" has an apostrophe after the 2nd e, and what the HELL is a boundary bum???? You might want to chill the fuck out, bein' you're new in these here parts an' all, cowboy! Blackjack has been here since the dawn of time, practically, so if you fuck with him, you're liable to get hammered from all directions. So RELAX!!!!!
"Please pardon our appearance while we are levitating..."
Mssr. Arsénique Kallisti (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3812

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

WOAH there pardner!

Have a drink Satan.

Blackjack is the last person
trying to give you a hard time.

Starz O' Plenty has a notorious
reputation around here. Get your
broken glass stool,
and take a load off them barkin' dogs.
GO LIVE !!!
Raindog (Mephistopheles)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 17

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I dont remember asking for any of your oppinions on staroplzenecky, you know the old saying. Blackjack, given your post perhaps you should shove a bottle of cheap tequila up your ass... your attempt to belittle me is neither funny or enlightening. Are you so offended that someones personal taste would differ from your own that you would place them as a boundary bum?
"I'm standing on the corner of fifth and vermouth... using parking meters as walking sticks" Tom Waits
Donnie Darko (Besançon)
Mousquetaire
Username: Besançon

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually I was given a bottle of Schulz as a gift which is even worse than Staroz, if that can be imagined. Sambuca tastes closer to absinthe than this blue poison did. No louche, no recognizeable herbal flavor, and a very toxic alcohol burn. My muscles ached the next day after one glass! POISON!!!!
--------------------------------------------------
Gretchen--"Donnie Darko, sounds like some kind of superhero or something"
Donnie--"What makes you think I'm not?"
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1191

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

I must admit though that I prefer the "industrial solvent" taste as opposed to a very strong anise taste.

Could be absinthe isn't the right drink for you then. Cheap tequila, maybe...
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1273

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

But for future reference check out our FAQ, there's a nice li'l quick recommendation list on there and lots of juicy info:

http://www.feeverte.net/forum_faq.html

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1272

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don't pay any attention to them. Obviously they've all tasted it.

heh.

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Why would you order Staroplzenecky?

Have you read the reviews from this site?
Spoon Boy (Absinthespoon)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Absinthespoon

Post Number: 348

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ingredients of Starzo:

72% dichlorobenzene
27% smurf urine
1% imitation wormwood flavoring

100% barf-o-licious!
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1271

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There's anise in it?

WOOOWIEEEE!

Raindog (Mephistopheles)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 15

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Its really not that bad, the taste is better than the bottle that I had three years ago. I must admit though that I prefer the "industrial solvent" taste as opposed to a very strong anise taste.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 3811

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I wonder if they've changed their
recipe and toned down the "caustic"
palate and eliminated the "industrial
solvent" finish.

GO LIVE !!!
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 3809

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

EEEEEEEEK!

Wreckless posting ahead!

Starz O'Plenty is probably the
worst purchase I've ever made.
Of anything... Ever!

I got more bang for my Buck with a
bottle of Chartreuse...

And it was yummy even.
GO LIVE !!!
Raindog (Mephistopheles)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 14

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I recieved a couple of bottles of Staroplzenecky today that I ordered a couple weeks ago. I'm currently on my third glass and though it is not particularly tasty, the effects are quite profound. It's been a few years since I last had this brand and I dont remember it having this power over me.I was trying to make a point about something but for the life of me I cant recall what it was. Perhaps it will all come back to me after the next glass.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page