Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Herbsaint

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Herbsaint « Previous Next »

Michael (Maddog)
Mousquetaire
Username: Maddog

Post Number: 11

Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Twenty $5 bills to down a bottle of Herbsaint?
Hell, I'd down a bottle in one sitting for a double sawbuck.
Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 913
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you offered me 20 of them to drink a bottle of Herbsaint, I might consider it, but it would probably take me a year to finish the bottle. In fact, I still have a little left in the bottle I bought in NOLA the weekend of Ted's party, and that was what, over two years ago now?
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1438

Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And just what do you have against $5 bills?

Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 912
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

>> "Personally, I wouldn't give $10 for either
>> one."

> I wouldn't either. Dorignac's sells it for
> $9.75.

Let me rephrase that. If you offered to go to Dorignac's and buy me a bottle and ship it to me at your expense, with a $5 bill in the box, I'd turn it down.

"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
Michael (Maddog)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Right on.
Jay & The Imp (Thegreenimp)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Thegreenimp

Post Number: 387

Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Told ya they were still making it......now if they only made like they did in the old days.
I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, and I'm happy to state I've finally won out over it........Elwood. P. Dowd
Michael (Maddog)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 9

Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the info from Sazerac.
Dorignac's in Metairie has it back on the shelves. The only thing is that my few drinks from the bottle I purchased didn't seem to louche like they used to; they didn't really louche at all. Maybe I got a bottle from a batch lower on the anise or something.

"Personally, I wouldn't give $10 for either one."

I wouldn't either. Dorignac's sells it for $9.75.
AbsintheMinded (Absintheminded)
Mousquetaire
Username: Absintheminded

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here is the reply I received from the distillery:

"We are not discontinuing Herbsaint. We were out of stock for about a month, but now we are back in business. Your local liquor store can place another order. Please let them know. They may not have been told why they could not order Herbsaint."

Thanks

Charlotte Conner-Plute
Associate Brand Manager
Sazerac Company, Inc
504-849-6437

Looks like things are good to go again :-)

Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 907
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Herbsaint has never been easy to find around New Orleans in the second half of the 20th century. I lived around there for 30 years and never even saw a bottle in any store. This is because nobody gave a damn about it except possibly for cooking, and, in bars within the French Quarter, for mixing drinks. I doubt the resurrection of absinthe has changed that very much. With that said, I found some at a liquor store in the Quarter a couple of years back. It's near the river; I don't remember the name, but it's in my account on Vera's Emerald Quest website. They seemed to be under the impression, or wanted to give the impression, that it was absinthe. They pitched it to me as the "American" vs. the "French" (Absente) which they also had. The difference in price was about $50. Personally, I wouldn't give $10 for either one.
AbsintheMinded (Absintheminded)
Mousquetaire
Username: Absintheminded

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sazerac still lists it as a product on their homepage. I also verified that it's still available at the Spec's here in TX near my house. I went ahead and sent off an email to the sales rep I was given by the operator. So hopefully things will get cleared up soon.

I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding or probably just really popular and hard to keep in stock in some places.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 368

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Specs has enough to float a battleship,the last time I was there.

I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, and I'm happy to state I've finally won out over it........Elwood. P. Dowd
Michael (Maddog)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 8

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's good news.
Thanks.
I'll just try to be patient until the local stores get some in.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 367

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I spoke with a person at Legendre about three weeks ago and there was no mention of them discontinuing Herbsaint then.
Michael (Maddog)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 7

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, I should have purchased some at Spec's before heading back to NO.
I have a bad feeling that no Herbsaint in NO eventually means no Herbsaint anywhere.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 366

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's still available and in good supply here in humidity TX
Michael (Maddog)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 6

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've had a hard time finding Herbsaint in New Orleans, and the boys at Dorignac's say that they've heard that it may be discontinued.
Anybody know what's going on?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page