Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Real Absente Absinthe vs fake

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Real Absente Absinthe vs fake « Previous Next »

Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 228
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Alcohol is yeast shit. So I would rather have plain yeast shit, than Absente flavored yeast shit.
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A bottle of Emile sapin (or it's sisters incarnations) would surely drown your sorrow and make you forget this bad first experience with Absente... It's just a few clic away, the price is reasonable and the delivery is fast which make it an excellent first real absinthe to try. There's other options of course but that would be a nice starting point.

And to be back on topic, Absente is a bad pastis and there's not much else to say about it.
Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 931
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The water point was well taken; if Amelia was drinking anything of the sort straight, she has more hair on her chest than I.

But I stand by my opinion of Absente. It is not drinkable, with or without water. I first tasted it at Chez Nephilim; he offered me the rest of the bottle, I declined, he poured it down the sink and recycled the bottle for something lipworthy, not sinkworthy. True story.
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
Pataphysician (Pataphysician)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Pataphysician

Post Number: 690
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

(Keeping in mind that I've never had Absente of any kind) I don't think Absente is shit. I mean, forced to drink either Absente or shit, I would drink the Absente. But I'd dilute it with water. I know that Czech brands, for instance, while not literally shit, are very, very close and are indeed undrinkable. But I got the impression that Absente just tastes like cheap Pastis. It sounds like Amelia was drinking her Absente straight -- first sipping, then gulping -- and maybe she can still get some small value from her Absente if she dilutes it with water.
Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 928
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would know; in fact I do know. Absente is shit, with or without water, as Amelia was told from the getgo. It's hard to choke down in any form. It is, in a word, sinkworthy.

A retch is worth a thousand words, though.
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
Pataphysician (Pataphysician)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Pataphysician

Post Number: 689
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Err... Did you put water in it? Even the best Absinthe would be barbaric without water in it. Absente is not "good", but it's probably at least drinkable mixed with 4 parts cold water. Not that I would know.
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 614

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It takes a lot of pennies...
Escapee from the drunk tank
Amelia (Aerophyre)
Paysan
Username: Aerophyre

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, surprise surprise it was awful, absolutely disgusting. We couldn't sit there and sip it so we ended up taking shots of it which was also disgusting. Ah well, time to save my pennies for a good bottle.

Amelia
Amelia (Aerophyre)
Paysan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks guys. I will be trying it next Friday because it's all we have at the moment. Mrs Head, I read the FAQ awhile ago and took a refresher look before I posted. I don't remember when I learned what absinthe was but I did a bunch of research and got my facts straight, or rather, got it through my head that the myths are false. I know that I have scores more to learn before I can even touch the knowledge you possess here. I'll let you all know what my impression of the Absente is with nothing to hold it up against. Thanks again!

Amelia
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1286

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kudos for doing the research Amelia! But I don't think most of us have given absente much thought since its original release, for various reasons.

But there are worse places to start! Stay away from most of the Czech brands for instance. And read our happy FAQ.

Or have your friend read it when they're ready to try again.

A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere. - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
simon pedersen (Simon)
le Vicomte
Username: Simon

Post Number: 71

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 3:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wouldn't bother with either version of absente...........They both taste like shit!
Amelia Miller (Aerophyre)
Paysan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello all, I'm new to the board and a virgin at absinthe drinking but have had an interest in it for quite some time.
A friend of mine received a bottle of Absente from France and my heart sunk when I heard what kind it was. However, I went to the website on the back of the bottle (www.distilleries-provence.com if you're interested) and it says that there is in fact wormwood in it. This confused me so I did a search on this board and found a thread where someone said that there was a real version of Absente with a slightly different bottle. The difference is a 55 (on the real kind) at the bottom of the label instead of a triangle. My question is, has anyone had this real Absente absinthe and how was it? I realize it's not Un Emile but I'm just glad to be in the game at last =)

Amelia

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page