Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Sugar?

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Sugar? « Previous Next »

Donnie Darko (Besanšon)
le Vicomte
Username: Besanšon

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What's that line from "Snatch"? No sugar, thanks. I'm already sweet enough...
--------------------------------------------------
Gretchen--"Donnie Darko, sounds like some kind of superhero or something"
Donnie--"What makes you think I'm not?"
Brett Tyre (Brett)
le Duc
Username: Brett

Post Number: 157

Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I use Roger's Sugar sugar cubes (Rogers is a big Canadian sugar company). With a proper slow drip, the melt away completely, no pre-soaking required. With a little big of stirring, I can even get it so very little sugar is left in the bottom of the glass.
The Levitating Grin Salesman (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 339

Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I do the same thing as well.
"Please pardon our appearance while we are levitating..."
Monique Brazeau (Atomikpink)
Paysan
Username: Atomikpink

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Greetings everyone... I like to use C&H sugar cubes. They work well and they're cheap too. I usually wet them down with a drop or two of pre-drip water and let them sit for 30 seconds or so, then start the slow drip. They always dissolve completely this way for me. I thought I was the only one who did this until I read an earlier post by Zman7. It really does work.
Raindog (Mephistopheles)
Mousquetaire
Username: Mephistopheles

Post Number: 23

Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I prefer my absinthe sans sugar. I suppose everyone has their own opinion of what is palatable.
"I'm standing on the corner of fifth and vermouth... using parking meters as walking sticks" Tom Waits
Celeste (Greeneyes)
Mousquetaire
Username: Greeneyes

Post Number: 6

Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have the Saint Louis sugar cubes on hand, but usually I revert to the plain ol' C&H cubes I bought at the grocery store. They dissolve faster and are slightly smaller than the French stuff.
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 209
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Are sugar cubes really important to most of you? Most of the time I don't even bother with cubes and an absinthe spoon; I just pour granulated sugar in and use a teaspoon.
Z (Zman7)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Zman7

Post Number: 351
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, Perruche sugar takes forever to dissolve. After reading that line from Betty's site, it only reinforces why you should just pass that one on by. Just use Domino, C&H, or whatever ya got. For the tough to dissolve ones I just wet them on the spoon, wait about 30 seconds, and continue to pour my water. Problem solved.
Imperial Order of Absinthe
Pastor of Muppets (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 238

Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i have a bunch of individually wrapped St Louis and also some A La Perruche that i use... when i use sugar that is. i mainly take mine without sugar so when i use them it's usually to show folks how to do the ritual. i prefer the St Louis, they do melt more uniformly, but the differences in the end are subtle... the Perruche seems to have a softer flavor if i remember correctly. i'll have to do a side by side one of these days. like i said, i'm not much of a sugar person anyway.
Donnie Darko (Besanšon)
le Vicomte
Username: Besanšon

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://store.yahoo.com/dcimports/sainlouiscom.html

Paris sugar cubes are also very nice. I don't know anybody who uses Perruche sugar.
--------------------------------------------------
Gretchen--"Donnie Darko, sounds like some kind of superhero or something"
Donnie--"What makes you think I'm not?"
le Duc

Post Number: 332

Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

From Betina's site:
"French 'A La Perruche' sugar is a 1.1 lb box:
This sugar reminds one of white, fluffy,snowflakes. The water and sugar dilute in a smoother fashion to create the pearl/blue/gray/green cloudy, swirling louche that is an essential characteristic of absinthe."

What a load of fairy crap! I can get that stuff right near where I work, but I never bothered with it because I hear La Perruche cubes are like rocks and take forever to dissolve. Don't waste your money on that, or anything from Betty for that matter. Go to the supermarket and buy whatever they have. If they have more than one, try them all. Sugar is cheap. Absinthe, on the other hand...
Tobi Whaley (Touchmoney)
Mousquetaire
Username: Touchmoney

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i know that Betina sells a certain type of sugar for absinthe http://www.allthingsabsinthe.com/antiqueshop.html# I was wondering if it was worth it to get this or just stick with domino from the store?
le Duc

Post Number: 328

Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's what I use, the Domino Hostess Crystal Tablets. They dissolve within 2-3 minutes or so. And they look way cooler than the Dots. Man.
Jay & The Imp (Thegreenimp)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Thegreenimp

Post Number: 385

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Try these instead

http://www.dominosugar.com/store/product.asp?p=1
I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, and I'm happy to state I've finally won out over it........Elwood. P. Dowd
Kaseijin (Kaseijin)
Mousquetaire
Username: Kaseijin

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I haven't been doing this long enough to experience more than two boxes of sugar cubes, so this observation may be empirically useless, but here's what I've noticed::

Box 1 - I have for myself a box of Imperial sugar cubes. They break up really fast and make for a nice, dramatic effect, but they don't quite seem to dissolve completely. They leave a sugary sediment in the bottom of the glass. Depending on how you look at it, this may be a good thing...that last sip is really sweet!

Box 2 - I heard since purchasing the Imperial cubes that Domino Dots worked better, and were "preferred" over Imperial. A friend of mine liked my first bottle of Emile so well, a bunch of us chipped in and got him his own set. I got the Domino Dots for him, thinking it the better brand of sugar. Dots seem to take forever to dissolve! These are some freaking hard sugar cubes. It may be my eyes deceiving me, but I think you can even tell how much more dense they are visually. A cube is one tsp of sugar, correct? The dots *look* smaller than the Imperials, but seem a tad smaller. Anyway, the point is that they really don't like to dissolve. Something good about them is that, once they *do* dissolve, they seem to dissolve a lot more completely. I noticed no residue in any of 4 glasses.

The total dissolution is nice, but I think I may still stick with the Imperials. *shrug* Any other good brands out there?
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 586

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Domino dots dissolve really slowly. Don't fret, a slow drip should work by the time you reach a 4:1 ratio.

I use Opie sugar, but that's hard to find...
Escapee from the drunk tank
Tobi Whaley (Touchmoney)
Mousquetaire
Username: Touchmoney

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I recently tried out the sugar ritual with my new spoon, so I went to the store and bought some sugar cubes. When I got home to try out my new spoon the cube didnt disolve as much as I had expected or had witnessed when my friend did it. I was wondering if there was a certain type of sugar I should buy or if I should just try pouring the water slower?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page