Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Which of these should I get?

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Which of these should I get? « Previous Next »

Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 911
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Okay, forgive me about the "too good" remark already...sheesh."

You're feeling heat where there was no flame. Think about it, would this beautiful website and several fine books, and millions of liters of absinthe down the gullet at the turn of the century, all be devoted to something that one has to choke down? The problem is widespread ignorance about absinthe because it was unavailable for so long, and the products that have rushed in to fill the demand at the end of the following century, are almost all garbage or second-rate.

The Pernod 68 is much better than what you've had so far; a step in the right direction. Endeavor to persevere, and fine absinthe will come your way eventually - then you'll know how far off the mark all that wormwood in vodka crap on the Internet really is.
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
Danya (Danya)
Paysan
Username: Danya

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, forgive me about the "too good" remark already...sheesh.

Anyways, thanks for all the info, especially about the czech absinth strong. Looks like I got ripped off on that after all, but at least I didn't pay too much for it.

It looks like I'm going with Pernod 68 until I bother to actually get a credit card so I can order stuff. Thanks everyone.
Tobi Whaley (Touchmoney)
Mousquetaire
Username: Touchmoney

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Go with the Pernod 68 or order some Un Emile from LDF (i just ordered the 3 bottle sampler) or get some Serpis or Deva from Fine Spirits Corner.
Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 909
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I thought it tasted too good to be real absinthe."

If all you've tasted is what you mentioned, you have never tasted real absinthe. And apparently, you've bought into some crap on the Internet about how it tastes, posted by other people who have never tasted real absinthe, or there's no way you would have made that remark.

The pickings are slim, that's for sure, and not just in Japan, either.
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
AbsintheMinded (Absintheminded)
Mousquetaire
Username: Absintheminded

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pernod 68 does have a nice flavor to it for a contemporary drink. Even though it doesn't taste like vintage Absinthe according to those who have had both, it is tasty. It's good for an after dinner drink.

La Fee is another really smooth oil mix, contemporary tasting absinthe. I think Pernod 68 has a bit too strong of anise taste, where La Fee seems a bit more toned down. Both are VERY tasty to those who like sweeter drinks. For some reason when I start drinking La Fee, I just can't put the glass down...

Un Emile 68 is VERY tasty as well, although not as sweet as La Fee or P68. It has a bit of a woodsy or herbal taste to it, whereas the La Fee and P68 are more about the anise.

I've found that P68 and La Fee go over very well with the ladies, as they tend to like sweeter drinks, or drinks with less herbal or bitter tones. These two are also great for mixing with various mixers or soft drinks.

Of the Emile's, Un Emile 68 (E68) is very similar to La Fee, but toned down a bit on the anise, and more balanced herbally, which makes it a great absinthe. I've got a couple of bottles of the Sapin as well, but the extra bitterness is hard for some people to drink. It's not much different then the E68, just a touch more bitter. Recently I tried the Emile Blanche, mmm, mmm. This stuff is very good. In fact, like the La Fee (different flavors, but the effect is the same i.e. you can't put the glass down) this stuff is so tasty, you can't wait till you have some more. I only ordered a flask of it, and it was gone in one sitting. Highly recommended.

There are a lot of wonderful versions of absinthe on the market to try. I would suggest you do as I have done and don't stop at just one. Sure I always keep stock on my favorite one(s), but I make it a point to order something different each time. That way you get a good taste for what's out there. The problem I have now is that I've found sooo many that I like.

The real question is, which commercially available absinthe on the market today, closely resembles and tastes like vintage absinthe? According to many, none... yet. But it sure is fun trying as many as you can!

One thing is for sure, it is clear why absinthe was such a popular drink. Its so darn good!
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1289

Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Czech Absinth Strong was *never* an offical Sebor product. It is made in mexico and is a complete rippoff. They've even been sued by the offical Sebor distributors.

A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere. - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
The Levitating Grin Salesman (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 333

Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You can order Un Emile 68, which is widely considered to be the best commercially produced absinthe on the market right now, from www.absintheonline.com and have it in a few days. It's just as easy as going down to the local store...
"Please pardon our appearance while we are levitating..."
Danya (Danya)
Paysan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 5:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Certainly way better than their Anis." Agreed 100%.

""I've tried Pernod 68 at a bar...I thought it tasted too good to be real absinthe. "
You're joking right? 'Real' Absinthe kicks Pernod around the place tastewise. " Actually, I was pretty much serious there. I was mainly thinking that it just tastes too candy-like to be real absinthe. (I happen to like candy, so I said "good." I'm sure many people would disagree on that though) You have to understand that the only thing I can compare it to is Czech Absinth Strong, Hermes, Pernod pastis, and descriptions I read on the internet (And yes, I do realize that the vast majority of the descriptions on the internet are coming from 15-year-olds who steep wormwood in vodka and claim that it is absinthe...but still...even reading a description of a good absinthe from someone who actually knows what he's talking about, it doesn't really translate to the tastebuds well. I guess I'll never know until I try the real thing.

And, I'm 99% positive Czech Absinth Strong was at one time distributed (but not made) by Sebor. It used to even be on the Sebor website, but was recently removed. on czechabsinth.com it describes their company history and shows the comparisons of their current label, and the label from the time when it was distributed by Sebor. I actually looked into this because I noticed that the labels are different when I bought my bottle and I was thinking I got ripped off. Some would probably say I did. I dunno. Real or not though, I feel sorry for whoever bought a bottle of it for $200 on Ebay last week (Not from me, but it's got me thinking now...)

I know I'd be better off importing than buying any of these, but for now a big part of the appeal is that I can just go buy it rather than import it. I'll keep looking around over here and maybe someday find something better. And if not, I do definitely plan to import something good someday.
Tuivel (Tuivel23)
Mousquetaire
Username: Tuivel23

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 4:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Buy the Pernod 68 it's the only one of the brands you listed that is at least halfway decent. (in a cheap-artificially-colored-oilmix kind of way)
It doesn't taste much like Absinthe to me but i still like it sometimes. Certainly way better than their Anis.

Czech Absinthe Strong is a fake and has nothing to do with Sebor i believe, but i might be wrong.

"I've tried Pernod 68 at a bar...I thought it tasted too good to be real absinthe. "
You're joking right? 'Real' Absinthe kicks Pernod around the place tastewise.

PS: If Absinthe is legal in Japan, you're better of importing something like Pernot, Lemercier or Segarra.
Daniel Gustavson (Danya)
Paysan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 3:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi everybody. I'm kind of new to all this, but I wanted to get some opinions on something.

I live in Japan where absinthe is legal (but still pretty hard to find) Anyway, after months and months of searching (well, not very diligent searching, but I was keeping my eyes open for it) I finally found a liquor shop that stocks absinthe. They have Trenet, Hapsburg (both strengths), Czech absinthe strong, and Pernod 68. I read the buyer's guide, but it didn't tell me that much, so I'd like to know what some people think about these brands.

Oh, and just to give you a little background information about what I've tried so far. I've tried Hermes Absinthe at a bar (which is now listed as a pastis) I've tried Pernod 68 at a bar(I thought this tasted really good, but for lack of a better explanation, I thought it tasted too good to be real absinthe. My expectations were probably way off though) And (at the above mentioned liquor shop) I ended up buying Czech Absinth Strong. My reasoning behind that purchase was that it used to be bottled by Sebor which was by my understanding the best of the Czech products, and I liked the natural color and I was taken in by the (supposedly) high wormwood content mentioned on the label. It doesn't taste so good, but it is passable. I've already finished half the bottle. As for Hapsburg and Trenet, the buyer's guide doesn't say much, so that makes me think that people are generally unimpressed.

So, basically (even though I think I know what everyone will say) I want to know what my next Absinthe purchase should be out of those choices (Pernod 68, Czech Absinth Strong, Hapsburg, or Trenet)

Thanks

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page