Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Stevia vs. Sugar

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Stevia vs. Sugar « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through September 10, 2003Jack Collins (_black25 9-10-03  12:17 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 223
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Getting beat with a large sugar cane would hurt.
Jay & The Imp (Thegreenimp)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Thegreenimp

Post Number: 398

Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote: Well, if somebody threw a sugar cube really hard...

"You'll shoot your eye out kid"

I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, and I'm happy to state I've finally won out over it........Elwood. P. Dowd
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1208

Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, if somebody threw a sugar cube really hard...
Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 924
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

When sugar hurts me, I'll let you know. Don't hold your breath.
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
Hobart (Hobart)
Mousquetaire
Username: Hobart

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What we don't know won't hurt us.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 923
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Just because you're cynical
Doesn't mean you're cool"

No, it means I don't get duped a lot.
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
Hobart (Hobart)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Are you showing disdain?
balzdeep (Swarez)
Mousquetaire
Username: Swarez

Post Number: 49

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Ride the branch of a willing arbutus tree to the coast, and face the west. Try it! Feel the wanton smoothness of the wood, see the greeness of the land, hear the growth of the mother and taste and touch and smell the new with the rotten."

Until aphids and locusts turn that branch into twigs and make the green ground brown -- Thank mother nature for providing us with Permethrins (courtesy of the mums) and Organophospates (courtesy of, well, ok, don't thank Mother Nature for that one, thank mustard gas)
Hell, at least I can lick myself...
Hobart (Hobart)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There lives in the Pacific northwest, on a fanciful island, a pulchritudinous, tender-hearted, ginger-lovin', funk-dancin', blue-eyed, sable-haired, fair-skinned, yes, Black Irish, peasant woman, who knows the true and natural meaning of organic.
She knows the power of Tanuki San and where he can take her.
You speak of the Gospel? Of hippies? Do you dwell on this shaken earth within and without your absinthe? Green fairies dancing on your bed. (In your head?) I goes beyond the (Your spiritual?) immediate need:

"Just because you're naked
Doesn't mean you're sexy,
Just because you're cynical
Doesn't mean you're cool.
You may tell the greatest lies
And wear a brilliant disguise
But you can't escape the eyes
Of the one who sees right through you."

"In the end what will prevail
Is your passion not your tale,
For love is the Holy Grail.
Even in Cognito."

"So better listen to me, sister,
And pay close attention, mister:
It's good to play the game,
Amuse the gods, avoid the pain,
But don't trust fortune, don't trust fame,
Your real self doesn't know your name
And in that we're all the same:
We're all incognito."

---- Tom Robbins

Ride the branch of a willing arbutus tree to the coast, and face the west. Try it! Feel the wanton smoothness of the wood, see the greeness of the land, hear the growth of the mother and taste and touch and smell the new with the rotten.
balzdeep (Swarez)
Mousquetaire
Username: Swarez

Post Number: 48

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Christ, show me one thing that DOESN'T cause cancer and I will show you several other claims that says it does. Really, the big question is how much formaldehyde does it break down to produce, and what it the critical point in which the FDA says it is carcinogenic or causes irreversible nerve damage?

And Olestra? How did we jump into anal leakage?
Hell, at least I can lick myself...
Donnie Darko (Besanšon)
le Vicomte
Username: Besanšon

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've never read any published results from it either. She told me about this about a year ago, maybe they're still collecting data, or maybe they decided not to publish it? Whatever the case, she didn't just make it up. I'm not sure of the specifics of the study, but the hospital that took part in the study is in Cleveland, TN (Bradley Co Memorial, I think). She said they found the CFS sufferers in this study that had evidence of nerve damage all drank more than 4 diet sodas a day...

There does seem to be a boatload of misinformation out there about Aspartame and its risks, but if it has methanol in it and breaks down into formaldehyde at 86 F, seems like the smart thing would be to avoid it. The FDA says plenty of things are safe which are in reality questionable, Olestra being the most recent...
Ever see how partially hydrogenated oils affect cells? FDA seems to think they're ok too.

Besides, Aspartame just doesn't taste as good as sugar.
--------------------------------------------------
Gretchen--"Donnie Darko, sounds like some kind of superhero or something"
Donnie--"What makes you think I'm not?"
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1206

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

What? You mean the word of the organic Hippy is not gospel?

Yeah, it's odd how all the site I found claiming there was a stevia conspiracy were ones that wanted to sell me stevia...
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1205

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

It's interesting you mention that BJ because my step-mom is a nurse who took part in a study of chronic fatigue syndrome, which I believe concluded that Aspartame does have detrimental neurological effects. Turns out if you consume lots of diet sodas a day you're many many more times likely to develop not only symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome, but also signs of nerve damage such as tingling or even permanent numbness in the limbs.

Funny, there is no study even resembling that to be found on PubMed, which indexes pretty much everything published in legitimate medical journals worldwide.
Donnie Darko (Besanšon)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, nobody even demeaned you for spelling "losing" wrong. We must be putting too much water in our Absinthe...
Z (Zman7)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Zman7

Post Number: 363
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Not demeaning or cynical? Shit, we must be loosing our touch.
Imperial Order of Absinthe
Hobart (Hobart)
Paysan

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes! How nice to see that the issue of organic vs. conventional vs. GM/GE food has caused such a minor uproar on the absinthe site. Now you have all thought about it and it has made you think: Is organic worth the price? Are GM/GE foods really safe? That is a start. You can feel the passion in some of the responses...none of which were demeaning or cynical.
Donnie Darko (Besanšon)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>>>"And the quanitity of formaldwhyde created by aspartame is trivial... Really, if it was that bad, it would have made itself more obvious by now, considering the sheer quantity of it consumed."

It's interesting you mention that BJ because my step-mom is a nurse who took part in a study of chronic fatigue syndrome, which I believe concluded that Aspartame does have detrimental neurological effects. Turns out if you consume lots of diet sodas a day you're many many more times likely to develop not only symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome, but also signs of nerve damage such as tingling or even permanent numbness in the limbs. This is aggravated by the fact that most sufferers of chronic fatigue syndrome are office workers that rarely leave their chair. Excessive consumption of nutrasweet in and of itself probably does little damage, but if you're sitting at a desk all day typing, you're not burning off all that nasty aspartame you're consuming. In my opinion anything that breaks down into formaldehyde when it reaches a certain temperature should NOT be ingested.

However, being a fat lazy Americans who drinks 5 sodas a day is probably the bigger health risk than just ingesting Aspartame.

Ultimately I don't really care though either. Why not just use sugar? Aspartame gives me a huge headache, even if it's something as trivial as Extra gum.

Neurotoxins such as wormwood, however, are fine w/ me

Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 922
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Sorry to all who had to read this and think, "who the fuck cares.""

That was my response to the initial post, when I didn't even know what stevia was, nor cared enough to look it up, but I've enjoyed the subsequent discourse, particularly Blackjack's posts and your own. I still don't "care" about stevia, but aspects of agriculture have been brought into it that are not only interesting, but important to everybody, or should be.

"Ask your friends in Europe who produce most of the absinthe we drink."

A particularly poor example, since for the most part, Europeans don't know shit about producing absinthe and put out mostly crap.

"And don't give me that nonsense about an FDA conspiracy to protect aspartame's market share."

What? You mean the word of the organic Hippy is not gospel?

http://www.practicalhippie.com/stevia.htm

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page