Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through August 18, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » Feed the Ipod » Archive through August 18, 2003 « Previous Next »

Raindog (Mephistopheles)
Mousquetaire
Username: Mephistopheles

Post Number: 12

Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just a heads up Dave, if you like Radiohead you might also enjoy Unbelievable Truth. The singer/frontman is Andy Yorke, younger brother of Thom Yorke. The sound is similar to Radiohead but a bit more simplistic, I find it very refreshing. They have three complete albums out to date and all are worth a listen. http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll
"I'm standing on the corner of fifth and vermouth... using parking meters as walking sticks" Tom Waits
Pataphysician (Pataphysician)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Pataphysician

Post Number: 655
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Aye, "Heart of the Congos" is probably the best Reggae album of all time, but it is so beyond most people's concept of Reggae that I seldom recommend it. It's like throwing a kid in the deep end. Close Second would be "Israel Vibration: The Same Song".
The Levitating Grin Salesman (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 275

Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tom Waits' "Small Change". Damn album breaks my heart.
"Please pardon our appearance while we are levitating..."
le Duc

Post Number: 274

Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lee "Scratch" Perry & the Upsetters - "Super Ape", Junior Murvin - "Police & Theives", The Congos - "Heart of the Congos"

Three of my favorite non-Bob reggae albums...
Raindog (Mephistopheles)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

LOL Alphasoixante,
In fact I more of the t-shirt and jeans stumbling around with an empty vermouth bottle kind of Tom Waits fan. I find a lot of similarities with my life in his music, its gritty and real. As for my favorite albums, I would have to say that everything from '73's Closing Time to last years Blood Money fit that bill. My favorite song of his at the moment is a live version of "Ruby's Arms" that I found online a few weeks ago. Everyone that I know hates his music and often ask whats wrong with that guy, to which I reply 'he's a genius'.

"I'm standing on the corner of fifth and vermouth... using parking meters as walking sticks" Tom Waits
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 654
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

OK since nobody asked, here's my list of some crucial Reggae (old school, strictly 1970s, sans ubiquitous Bob Marley). Whether you've never listened to Reggae or you THINK you've heard Reggae, try and find these tracks:

The Abyssinians: Satta Massagana; Declaration Of Rights
Burning Spear: Marcus Garvey; Institution
Culture: Dog A Go Nyam Dog; Too Long In Slavery
Israel Vibration: Ball Of Fire; Lift Up Your Conscience
Gregory Isaacs: Black Liberation Struggle; Words Of The Farmer
Horace Andy: Skylarking; Love Of A Woman

If none of these tear the top of your head off -- I just can't do any more for you.
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 653
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tom Waits for no man.
le Duc

Post Number: 273

Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Last night during the blackout at my home in Astoria, Queens, just outside NYC, I listened to Mark Lanegan's "The Winding Sheet", Red House Painters s/t second album (the one with the bridge on the cover) and Galaxie 500's "This Is Our Music" on an old monophonic tape player, by candlelight of course...
Alphasoixante (Alphasoixante)
le Duc
Username: Alphasoixante

Post Number: 140

Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

how'd i know tom waits would be on the top of that list? that's okay, i'm a raindog too.

(you're not one of those creepy waits fans that wear the complete little outfits with the pork-pie hats are you? if you are, then, um, by creepy i meant, cool.)

you didn't say which waits. i vote for alice, black rider, and bone machine. but a bit of swordfishtrombone is nice, too.

ooh, and the polyphonic spree bring tears to my eyes. lovely, but it's still some pretty messed up manson-family abbey-road-thieving creepy shit.

i vote for neutral milk hotel - in the aeroplane over the sea and yo la tengo - and then nothing turned itself inside out. oh, and everything by johnny cash.
Raindog (Mephistopheles)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

oh yeah, I forgot to mention Patty Griffin.
Raindog (Mephistopheles)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Heres a list for you, all top shelf.

Tom Waits
Black Heart Procession
Brendan Perry
Damien Jurado
Eels
Elliot Smith
Eva Cassidy
The Flaming Lips
Fountains of Wayne
Jeff Buckley
Lovage
Mad Season
Mark Lanegan
Morphine
Nick Drake
The Polyphonic Spree
Radiohead
Red House Painters
Roger Waters
Sigur Ros
Soul Coughing
Spain
Tori Amos
Wilco
Weezer
XTC

Just a short list of some of my favorites, check them out. I doubt that you will be disappointed by any of these.
le Duc

Post Number: 268

Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh yeah, that Beth Gibbons album is great! Shades of Billie Holiday in that one...
Aion (Aion)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Aion

Post Number: 183
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Beth Gibbons (Portishead) - Out of season
Jennifer Warnes - The well
Calexico - Feast of wire
Tosca - Dehli 9
Bohren & der Club of Gore - Black earth
Bohren & der Club of Gore - Sunset mission
Harold Budd - The room
Harold Budd - The pearl
Harold Budd & Hector Zazou - Glyph
Klaus Schulze - Moondawn
Klaus Schulze - Mirage
Klaus Schulze - Trancefer
Klaus Schulze - Dig it
Begona Olavide - Mudejar
Begona Olavide - Salterio
and a lot of classical music...
Carl Guderian (Bjacques)
le Duc
Username: Bjacques

Post Number: 289
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Celis is out of business? Damn. I gave them plenty of business when I lived in Texas or went back to visit. They will be missed. That Chimay is the devil's brew. I drank a lot of beer last night, but I'm convinced that one gave me the headache. It his 127.4 in Baghdad today.

You might like Kendra Smith, who sang for Opal on their first album or two before Hope Sandoval took over. She wrote cool weird songs on her next album and a half (Guild of Temporal Adventurers and Five Ways of Disappearing)

See if you can find any old Texas punk, like the Hickoids (from San Antonio) or The Dicks (from Austin) or Really Red (Houston).
Strom Thurmond (Mogan_david)
le Duc
Username: Mogan_david

Post Number: 342

Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well it's 104 again today. Fuck going outside. I'm sitting here going through my MP3s with a bottle of Chimay Grande Reserve at my side. It's not the worst way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Speaking of great beer, if anyone in Michigan can get me a case of Celis Grand Cru I would make it very rewarding for you. Celis was an Austin micro brew that went out of business their recipes and equipment have now turned up in Michigan.
http://www.michiganbrewing.com/mbc.asp

Oh yeah, the subject..
Rimbaud, some of your selections remind me of a band from Austin. Vallejo. I don't know if they get any play where you are. Vallejo is a high energy rock and roll band with a lot of 70s funk and Latin rhythm mixed in. The song "Snake in the Grass" even incorporates a little rap. You should check them out if you haven't heard of them.

I should be getting my new Ipod on Tuesday. Oh why oh why did I try to save money.. Why didn't I just go to the store and buy one of the damn things. I'm such a fucking cheapskate is why.

--turning the knob on my stream of consciousness to the off position now--
le Duc

Post Number: 267

Posted on Saturday, August 9, 2003 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

>"The Shins remind me of a modern version of the Kinks. Flaming lips remind me of a cross between Neil Young and somehow David Bowie if that makes any sense. "

Those are pretty good descriptions actually. I definitely hear some Kinks in the Shins, as well as the Zombies. The Flaming Lips, particularly on The Soft Bulletin album, are kind of like a classic Disney soundtrack meets Led Zeppelin. They did this insane album-experiment, released about 5 years ago, called Zaireeka. It's a 4 cd set, but all four discs are meant to be played simultaneously, on 4 different players. It's not something you can do all the time, but when you can get a few friends to come over with their boom boxes, it's a listening experience like no other! Completely mindblowing. Actually, a Zaireeka/absinthe party sounds like a good idea...

Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 647
Posted on Saturday, August 9, 2003 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I got just three words fer you: Har Mar Superstar
Raschied Britannica (Raschied)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Raschied

Post Number: 356

Posted on Saturday, August 9, 2003 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Warp 11, Dammit!

Rock over London, Rock on Chicago.
Pontiac - We build Excitement.
Z (Zman7)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Zman7

Post Number: 339
Posted on Friday, August 8, 2003 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

16 Horsepower, latest album recorded at Absinthe Studio, Denver, Colorado.
Imperial Order of Absinthe
le Duc

Post Number: 338

Posted on Friday, August 8, 2003 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh hell Artemis,
Did I ever tell you that I want to be you when I grow up. You are a master critic. 16hp is fucking addictive. It's like if Weird Al joined CCR. It's so totally wrong that it's completely perfect. I used to smoke a little mj in my youth. I noticed that weird shit happens when you are stoned that never happens when you are sober. Listening to 16hp is a lot like that.

Rimbaud,
Thanks for the selections, I downloaded a ton of stuff from your list. I'm listening to it right now. I love the layers of the music. The Shins remind me of a modern version of the Kinks. Flaming lips remind me of a cross between Neil Young and somehow David Bowie if that makes any sense.

I'm enjoying the hell out of the new music. There are much worse things than sipping HG and listening to new tunes.
2LY!!! (2loucheltrec)
le Duc
Username: 2loucheltrec

Post Number: 299

Posted on Friday, August 8, 2003 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

current ecclectic rotation:
norah jones
frank sinatra- the reprise years
type o negative- life is killing me
nevermore- dead heart in a dead world
lords of acid- our little secret
praga khan- pragmatic
radiohead- the bends
roger waters- amused to death
Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 863

Posted on Friday, August 8, 2003 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

16 Horsepower.
If a snake handling, moonshining, fire and brimstone tent revival preacher started a band, learned his licks from Neil Young, and was the intro act at a Vampire Circus, this is what it would sound like.

Banjo, mandolin, old-fashioned button accordian, stand-up bass, slide guitar, very grungy electric guitar sometimes. Try the CD "Hoarse" (recorded live). It took me a while to warm up to it, but when it started haunting me in my sleep, I figured I better pay closer attention. I've been sold. They cover Creedence Clearwater and Joy Division, among others, but their own stuff is in a class by itself.

On the Internet, I listen to RadioIO - their 80s channel. Adam and the Ants, Elvis Costello, Big Audio Dynamite, Talking Heads, etc. I even heard Frank Zappa's "Stinkfoot" on there the other day -so they aren't married to New Wave exactly.
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 646
Posted on Friday, August 8, 2003 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you like "a little Rap" check out ANTI-POP CONSORTIUM. So fucking smart and poetic and chock full o' words, they put all other current Rap to shame.
le Duc

Post Number: 265

Posted on Friday, August 8, 2003 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just a few of my more recent faves, off the top of my head..

The Shins "Oh, Inverted World"
The Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" & "The Soft Bulletin"
Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions "Bavarian Fruit Bread"
Luna "Romantica"
Clinic "Walking With Thee"

P.S. - I have an iPod too, the 20GB model. I love it.
le Duc

Post Number: 334

Posted on Friday, August 8, 2003 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here's the deal, I'm getting this new Ipod and I need to fill the damn thing up.

I notice a lot of the people who post here have really great taste in music. I was hoping someone might post what you currently have playing in your rotation.

As for me, I like just about everything. Rock, country folk, even a little rap. So long as it's good, I don't care much which category it fits into.
Currently I seem to gravitate to soulful female singers. Dixie Chicks, Nora Jones, Beth Orton, Allison Kraus.

My play lists are pretty damn schizoid with Randy Travis, followed by Disturbed, then Radio Head, NIN, Zeppelin, Train, Tool, Creed, Van Morrison...

Anyway, help a brotha out. What are you listening to? Which songs make you hit the repeat button two or three times?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page