Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Any (preferrably culinary) uses for t...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Any (preferrably culinary) uses for three brands of Czech "absinthe"? Plus short reviews. « Previous Next »

Tuivel (Tuivel23)
Mousquetaire
Username: Tuivel23

Post Number: 14

Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Those with at least 70% alcohol will make a nice surface-disinfectant.
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 219
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Perhaps they could be used as a bug killer, or toilet cleaner.
Carl Guderian (Bjacques)
le Duc
Username: Bjacques

Post Number: 291
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I used some Starz as spot remover. Especially good if they're not using so much food coloring now!
Alexis Cousein (Sixela)
Paysan
Username: Sixela

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> How about Molotov Cocktails?

Mhh -- ideal (esp. for the Staroplzenecky - even if it doesn't ignite on impact, drenching someone in that Evil Brew is really gross). But I'm in Belgium, and we don't have so many occasions for them.
Mr. Lover Lover (Celticgent)
le Vicomte
Username: Celticgent

Post Number: 98

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

hmm.

How about Molotov Cocktails?
(they look at you very oddly when you ask for the children's section in Victoria's Secret)
Alexis Cousein (Sixela)
Paysan
Username: Sixela

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I went to Bohemia this summer, and I couldn't help notice they were selling something called absinthe there.

So I decided to bring back a couple of bottles, out of curiosity. I *was* at the time already familiar with "spiritueux aux extraits de/a base de etc." from France (which makes me quite unique in having discovered these in that particular order, from what I can read here).

I chose the most dirt cheap brands (and small bottles). After all, I'd already tasted Sebor (which the Czech told me was the best brand) and wasn't really impressed, although it was almost palatable. So I wasn't going to shell out large amounts of money for curiosa.

Short review at the end. All drunk using French ritual and whatever poses as a Czechish tradition (you'll understand why: after you've tried it with the one ritual, you're thinking you must've done something wrong). Doesn't change things, though.

But those of you who are familiar with these don't have to read these short reviews (showings of sympathy gracefully accepted, though, preferrably in the form of an Un Emile 68 Blanche).

My real question is: once I've determined that these are perfectly unfit for *drinking*, what do I do with them? All three are different, so they'll need to be disposed of differently.

As an example, I've made flambeed bananas with Hill's, and that was interesting (for the slightly unfamiliar taster, and for the show effect -- there's lots of alcohol in there). I can't think of the pain said bananas would inflict on their consumers had I used Staroplzenecky.

Useful suggestions preferred -- I'm not into vengeance rituals.

It's going to be easier to come up with suggestions for Hill's -- I assume, from its popularity, that many people have ended up in the same predicament as I have, and it doesn't really taste *badly*, it's just spectacularly uninteresting.

But it's going to be a lot harder for Red Staroplenecky, and anyone who can find a useful suggestion for normal Staroplzenecky has to win a prize.
Cut here if "it's swill" is all you want to know about Hill's and the two Staroplzenecky.
---------
a) Hill's.

Fluo green: the colour is shouting "articial" at your brain. Smells like cough syrup, tastes like cough syrup (with high alcohol grade, which makes my wife describe it as window cleaner). No detectable anise or wormwood flavour, so you'd have to wonder why they're calling it absinthe. The cough syrup flavouring isn't even particularly herbal. Tons of sugar.

Zero louche when you add water, no matter how cold.

Very clearly concoted so as to avoid putting anyone off completely, so they can sell tons to people who typically enjoy Coca Cola (and if this is absinthe, Coca Cola is a Bourgogne!), even if they don't like anise.

But it's more like a very bad Jagermeister than an absinthe. Ah well. 35cl to go.

It's actually possible to finish a drink of this - if you're getting paid for doing so.

So bland, though, that it's pretty bad when diluted more than 2:1 -- it's almost better neat (were it not for the high alcohol content).

b)

Staroplzenecky Red Absinthe.

One word: liquorice (Glycyrrhiza, not the candy). Smells like it, tastes like it. Must be these guys' answer to Hill's (even more ghastly colour).

But it's such a monoaromatic taste that it's hard to finish a drink, though I suppose you could use it in cocktails.

c) Staroplzenecky "Absinthe".

Probably a real attempt to make absinthe: nose is more complex -- though it's mainly star anise, fennel, and coriander, it doesn't smell half bad. Perhaps even some A. Absinthium. They've even ditched the articial colouring, and (when you add *very* cold water) there is some louche.

Unfortunately, once you actually have to drink it, there's little trace of anise. Coriander and an intense bitterness at the end that makes you want to empty the bottle in the sink once you've drunk your glass: it's one of the most intensely bitter concoctions I've ever had the displeasure to drink, and unlike most good bitters, that bitterness is separated from any other aroma or flavour, and lingers in your mouth forever.

The more you dilute it, the worse it is -- I suppose if you drink it with little water the alcohol will knock out your taste buds (which, for this thing, would be *good*).

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page