Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Is mixing distilled absinthes a heresy?

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Is mixing distilled absinthes a heresy? « Previous Next »

Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I usually don't mix my absinthes/pastis but sometime it can produce interesting results.

H.Bardouin pastis is an excellent mixer (especially with the Emiles brothers or the butterscotchy Segarra) and its quality is superior to most commercial absinthes so it is not a waste of absinthe to add some Bardouin in it (in fact it is usually a waste of perfectly good pastis).

Another great mixer is the Arak Farak (made with wine spirit and anise seeds). It adds a LOT of anis to the mix so it must be used with "low louche" absinthes (the regular emile for exemple).

The best mix of course is a fine glass of aged artisanal absinthe mixed with... ice cold spring water and a bit of sugar.

Donnie Darko (Besanšon)
le Vicomte
Username: Besanšon

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I disliked Libertine, but didn't want to pour it down the sink so I'd mix it at a 1:4 ratio with this not so good HG I tried, and it softened the alcoholic bite a bit. Normally though I would say mixing an oil mix with a distilled absinthe is sacrilige.

As a side note, what you perceive as the "Artemisia" nose in F. Guy probably isn't from their wormwood. I've tasted their wormwood and it's some weird hybrid plant that I suspect is not Artemisia Absinthium.
--------------------------------------------------
Gretchen--"Donnie Darko, sounds like some kind of superhero or something"
Donnie--"What makes you think I'm not?"
Pataphysician (Pataphysician)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Pataphysician

Post Number: 688
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Though I wouldn't do it myself, the highly esteemed Wolfgang (intimate friend of Moonman) used to experiment with this quite a bit and post his results. Maybe he still does. If you're a heretic, you're in good company.
Alphasoixante (Alphasoixante)
le Duc
Username: Alphasoixante

Post Number: 150

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

i occasionally like a bit of henri bardouin in my emile. the emile la blahs are such boring damn drinks, it's a nice change every once in a while.
Alexis Cousein (Sixela)
Paysan
Username: Sixela

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mhh -- I'd never dream of mixing an Un Emile 68 with anything else, just to mention I'm not totally insane.

OTOH, I couldn't resist a little experiment some days ago...

I have a bottle of Francois Guy (again :-), though this one is only 50cl :-( ). I like it, but the taste at the end is slightly overpowering - and I'm not sure I'd mind slightly more alcohol.

On the other side of the cupboard...I've got a Lemercier Abisinthe 72. Likeable, but a bit heavy
on the (green) anise side to my taste [1], and the amount (and character) of the alcohol makes it lack a certain roundness.

As some of their qualities (and things I didn't like) seemed complementary, I did the unthinkable (much to the chagrin of the original makers, no doubt), and mixed them 50/50.

I must say I like the mixture better than any of the two brands separately. FG adds just that much personality to the Abisinthe (FG's got much more aroma, and a very nice Atermisia nose), and tones the alcohol down a little. OTOH, the Lemercier brings the flavour of the FG slightly back into the mainstream, and slightly dissociates the constituent flavours I taste at the end of the FG.

All in all, I must say that (esp. at the end) it seems to have a more complex aroma than either brands on their own...and that's probably the way I'll be drinking these.

[with the addition of the minimal amount of sugar compatible with the proper ritual -- Lemercier's anise makes even the mixture sweet enough without too much sugar, and adding lots of extra sugar masks off the subtle aroma].

So -- is this a hanging offense (to anyone else but the combined population of Pontarlier and Fougerolles)?

Anyone tried other mixtures with pleasant results?

[No, I'm not prepared to mix my almost full bottle of Czech high-alcohol cough syrup with anything else, at least not for drinking purposes]

[1] Yes, I *know* that some vintage absinthes are just as high on the anise. But then, I'm not French, so I'm free to have other (no doubt slightly less Latin) preferences.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page