Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Carnivale: Newsfeed from the Lounge...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Carnivale: Newsfeed from the Lounge... « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through September 17, 2003Mrs. Head (Admin)25 9-17-03  12:49 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1220

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Generally speaking, they like to AVOID using actual alcohol as a prop, because, well, after 3 or 4 takes, the cast is sloshed, and that is only helpful if you're working with John Barrymore or Richard Burton...

(One time, in high school, we snuck some real gin into the decanter while we were doing some Noel Coward play. Oddly, everyone's performance improved...)

Maybe Ted supplied the BOTTLE...
The Levitating Grin Salesman (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 362

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

>"Why would a movie need real absinthe of any kind? It's just a prop ....."

I agree, I'm just passing on some info I heard recently over at the Lounge. I thought it was strange that he (Ted) would bother. They could've just used modern Pernod or something of the sort, or had the prop dept. mix something up. Ted, can you confirm or deny that this actually happened?
"Please pardon our appearance while we are levitating..."
Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 943
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Why would a movie need real absinthe of any kind? It's just a prop .....
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
le Duc

Post Number: 361

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I heard recently that Ted supplied the absinthe for that movie ("Murder By Numbers"). It's a shame the filmmakers used the opportunity to spread more misinformation to the general public...
Spoon Boy (Absinthespoon)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Absinthespoon

Post Number: 352

Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I thought it was pretty cool. We don't need no HBO on Demand, though; that's why God made TiVo: EVERYTHING is On Demand. (besides cable in the Bay Area blows- gotta have DirecTV).

Also I watched the first 5 minutes of a movie this morning "Murder by Numbers" and some goth boys were drinking absinthe. One offered the other a joint and the other said "no, i've got something better", then went on about how absinthe has "the active ingredient in marijuana" or some such nonsense.
Donnie Darko (Besançon)
le Vicomte
Username: Besançon

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I finally watched Carnivale on HBO on demand tonight. Seems like it has a shitload of potential to me. Great art direction, very bizarre characters, and even though that Pere Kermann bottle w/ the weird label and the flower vase carafe was a bit off-putting, it's no big deal. Honestly a Pernod Fils bottle looks extremely boring on camera, just looks like a wine bottle or something. And who cares if it's in the post ban 30's? Maybe it was Spanish? I'm all in favour of movies throwing out accuracy for the sake of dramatic license...
Nobody ever bitched that the Twilight Zone was "inaccurate", and that's some of the most amazing imaginative television ever.
--------------------------------------------------
Gretchen--"Donnie Darko, sounds like some kind of superhero or something"
Donnie--"What makes you think I'm not?"
Pataphysician (Pataphysician)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Pataphysician

Post Number: 697
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Carni-Vale
A midway hawker who works a Colorado ski resort.
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1218

Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Carnival", from the Latin, meaning "meat party..."
Mr. Lover Lover (Celticgent)
le Duc
Username: Celticgent

Post Number: 101

Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

cause it's a mix between a carnival and a carnivore...they wanted you to visualize.....um, nah, i'm totally full of shite....no idea...
(they look at you very oddly when you ask for the children's section in Victoria's Secret)
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1309

Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Does anybody know why they spelled "Carnivale" with an "e"? It sounds Italian, but isn't.

pretention?

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
vincent vega (Lord_stanley)
Paysan
Username: Lord_stanley

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> Tim Roth in "Deceiver"...

One night while reading the buyers guide reviews on this website and flipping through the TV stations at the same time, I came across that movie on some cable channel. It was actually the scene (one of the scenes?) where he was preparing the drink. Kind of eerie that I was reading about absinthe and randomly flipped to a channel where the first thing I saw was the glass with spoon and sugar cube perched on it.

Not quite the same as catching a Budweiser commercial while drinking a beer.
Dr. O (Dr_ordinaire)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Dr_ordinaire

Post Number: 480
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does anybody know why they spelled "Carnivale" with an "e"? It sounds Italian, but isn't.
le Duc

Post Number: 355

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>"See Tim Roth in "Deceiver". Very sloppy. I believe he did lick the spoon, though."

Yeah, I've got that one on VHS. He is a bit of an absinthe slob in that flick, although he does use a nice Choppe Yvonne glass...
Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 935
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"GHOST DOG!"

Henry Silva as Mr. Vargo, with his strikingly evil face stretching like rubber as he goes "Black Elk! Moo-ooooooooooo-ahhhhhhhh"! One of the few moments in movies that actually startled me, made my mouth drop open.

"Anyone who doesn't agree to that is an absolute goddamn idiot."

Okay, go out and rent the video "They Bite". You should find it in the ten-cent section. It is a masterpiece, and hilarious. Never mind that it's badly cut, and some alternative scenes wind up in the movie with the (apparent) first choices, and that at times it seems to run backwards. If you don't agree it's great, you're an absolute ... well, you know.

"I got rid of cable when I discovered you can download most of the good stuff"

Maybe YOU can download it. I have a dial-up connection. Downloading anything that massive is like loading mercury with a pitchfork (props to Richard Brautigan).

"Ghost Dog... it was on this morning!"

I own the DVD, but I've never watched it. I've watched it about 24 times on TV. It's the randomness that makes the difference, I guess. I could go out and buy a Sisters of Mercy CD to hear the cut "More", or Shriekback to hear "Nemesis" as well, but I like hearing it at random on Internet "radio" better, coming at me unexpectedly.

"Actually he didn't touch his mother. He wanted to, but she wouldn't let him ... "

Now that's what I call me some family values TV.

"Yeah, the fucker splashed the water into it real quick-like ... "

See Tim Roth in "Deceiver". Very sloppy. I believe he did lick the spoon, though.

"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page