Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through September 17, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Absinthe virgin has drug test question » Archive through September 17, 2003 « Previous Next »

Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1214

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

I guess my question about the thujone level was actually about whether the stated number has anything to do with how much wormwood was used in the production of the absinthe.

Well, first off, the numbers thrown around by most brands are likely to be wildly inaccurate, simply because it is very easy to get false high readings when testing for thujone, if you don't know what you are doing. Second, there is ever-mounting evidence that not all that much thujone ends up in properly distilled absinthe in the first place. Less than generally assumed anyway, so even if you did have an accurate number, it wouldn't be much use as a measure of whether the right amount of wormwood was used. And no, thujone itself has no impact on the flavor of the drink.

There isn't any big mystery about which absinthes are closest to absinthe of old. Of the retail brands, the Un Emile line is generally considered the stand-out, with brands like Francois Guy, Segarra, and a few others coming in behind it. Fortunately, you've come along late enough in the game that we've already done the guinea-pig work.
Raschied Britannica (Raschied)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Raschied

Post Number: 374

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

BINGO! WE Have a Winner! Take off those shoes, Vincent Vega, roll up another cigarette you cowboy, and Twist like you've never Twisted before!

Pulp Fiction! NOW with 20% MORE THUJONE!!!!
Ya gotta love species
That fling their own feces!
GO! SKAT! THROW!!
vincent vega (Lord_stanley)
Paysan
Username: Lord_stanley

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Do you guys sell those T-shirts? Haha

I guess my question about the thujone level was actually about whether the stated number has anything to do with how much wormwood was used in the production of the absinthe. Since I've yet to develop a palate accurate enough to distinguish the herbal contents of a drink, I'm not sure what flavor the wormwood imparts.

From reading past threads, it seems that the only brands that claim high thujone levels are the Czech products that everyone hates anyways. I'm guessing that their claims are made to convince gullible people to consume their nasty swill in the misguided hopes of getting high.
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 615

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thujone = Bulljone!
Escapee from the drunk tank
Pataphysician (Pataphysician)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Pataphysician

Post Number: 693
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Where'd ya get that T-shirt?
vincent vega (Lord_stanley)
Paysan
Username: Lord_stanley

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've been "lurking" about this forum for awhile but have yet to post anything. (The buyers guide, FAQ and forum are very informative, by the way.) This seems like an appropriate thread to jump in on with virgins asking questions and all.

Since you're on the topic of thujone, does the thujone level that absinthe vendors may claim really mean anything? It's suggested that the concentrations are too low to produce any significant hallucinogenic effects but does the level of thujone have any bearing on the flavor or smoothness of the drink? You know, the important things.

Boasting of a "high" 10 mg/ml level looks like marketing hogwash to me. What do the experts think?
Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 929
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"You will also find a few people who suspect that you're pulling our collective leg by asking questions like those"

The noble Trollfinders. Without their watchful expertise, almost any inane crap would be suffered here by those who apparently believe that the thousandth asking of the same question is not tedious, and that even the most obvious thujone bomb tossed in to stink up the parlor just MIGHT be the sincere approach of an innocent newcomer.
But to make Troll salad, you got to kill a few Trolls. Sometimes people merely wearing Troll t-shirts get caught in the crossfire.
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
Bill (Kwajaln)
Paysan
Username: Kwajaln

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A Lurking I will go, a lurking I will go....Hi-Ho the Forum-Oh, a lurking I will go.....

*thanks for the suggestions*
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 224
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will give you some advice. First thing is to read through the website. Before you start psoting it's a good idea to lurk, and see what the forum is like, and how certain topics are handled by the regulars. Another thing when you are new, is to use the search function to make sure that a question you want to know hasn't already been asked, or that a topic you want to discuss might already have a recent thread dedicated to it.
Raschied Britannica (Raschied)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Raschied

Post Number: 372

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think you'll find that the people around here are helpful - they just are tired of answering the same 5 questions over and over. You did luck out - usually asking two of those questions in the same post is a hanging offense.

Lurk around, read the FAQ, read some reviews, and search the archives a bit, and you'll be fine. Welcome to the forum.
Ya gotta love species
That fling their own feces!
GO! SKAT! THROW!!
Pervert Euchre (Perruche_verte)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Perruche_verte

Post Number: 510

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don't be discouraged; you will find helpful people here, especially if you develop a sense of humor and don't let anyone's attitude put you off.

You will also find a few people who suspect that you're pulling our collective leg by asking questions like those, since you can find the answers just by poking around a little bit.

Hill's does have a review in the Buyer's Guide (a notably succinct review). As for the urinalysis, doing a keyword search of the Forum will turn up some interesting discussions.
"Drink accomplished what God did not." --Marguerite Duras
Bill (Kwajaln)
Paysan

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"the subjects you brought up HAVE been discussed before and asses were kicked"

So does that mean that the members here are not open to helping the newer forum members or would rather not answer questions for the sole reason that those questions may have been asked before? That sounds pretty fucked up to me, unless of course I have gotten the wrong impression. I was hoping this was a place where I would find people with some experience on the subject of absinthe who would be happy to share that knowledge with newer members, like me.
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 684
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

...while fishing. Under a bridge.
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc

Post Number: 221
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Troll means to sing or play in a jovial manner.
Marc Chevalier (Chevalier)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Chevalier

Post Number: 1448

Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

But what does "troll" mean?
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 682
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It would be the bait that a troll would use to draw out the argumentative types on this board.

For Example: "if taking absinthe will show up on a urinalysis drug test", "any comments for me on the Hill's brand", would be 'troll bait'

I'm not saying YOU are a troll, but the subjects you brought up HAVE been discussed before and asses were kicked. The Absinthe Mafia must be on vacation.
Bill (Kwajaln)
Paysan

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

OK, then I guess my next question is....

What does the term "troll bait" that you invented mean or stand for?
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 678
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>By the way, what is troll bait?

It's a term I invented.
Bill (Kwajaln)
Paysan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

JAY and *silent* BOB....

Thank you for your responses! Those questions may have seemed naive on my part, but please remember that I have never seen or had the pleasure of drinking absinthe (yet). Any comments, serious ones that is, or suggestions, are very helpful!

By the way, what is troll bait?

BILL
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Besides not being tested for, thujone is also in sage. So there would be no way to tell the difference if a person drank absinthe or had a sausage link.
George of the jungle (Absinthoman)
Mousquetaire
Username: Absinthoman

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hill's the best shit out there!!!
Jay & The Imp (Thegreenimp)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Thegreenimp

Post Number: 390

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's Wendnesday, works everytime.
I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, and I'm happy to state I've finally won out over it........Elwood. P. Dowd
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 677
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey! You managed to combine two troll baits in one post! Bravo!
Jay & The Imp (Thegreenimp)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Thegreenimp

Post Number: 389

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Absinthe is not an illegal drug, and isn't part of the standard drug screens used.

As for the Hills, don't drink it,...it's terrible,....just save it for a souvenir.
Get the sampler pack from LDF, and try the Un Emile line up for your first try.
I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, and I'm happy to state I've finally won out over it........Elwood. P. Dowd
Bill (Kwajaln)
Paysan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

HI YOU ALL!

I am brand new here and have never experienced absinthe. A friend of mine brought me a bottle from Prague recently. I am trying to find out if taking absinthe will show up on a urinalysis drug test. I tried to find out by doing some searching around on this forum but was unable to find it. Sorry if this has been discussed here before.

On another note (and a bad one) the bottle my friend brought me is Hill's. From some of the posts I've read here that is not a very desirable brand. Keeping in mind that this will be my first experience with absinthe (if the drug test isn't a factor) do any of you have any comments for me on the Hill's brand?

Thanks!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page