Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through September 17, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Carnivale: Newsfeed from the Lounge... » Archive through September 17, 2003 « Previous Next »

Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1308

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

aside from the dumb quotation on their website and the silly bottle, you have to give them credit for doing a decent job of it. kudos...

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1307

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

no, he did touch her. she was dead, nearly so, he crept forth to check, he reached for her and she came back, snarled in fear, he started to cry and shrink away, then she died for real.

it only made sense once you realized what his secret power was.

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

The Levitating Grin Salesman (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 354

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>"I saw "Carnivale" last night and although they at least poured their absinthe properly (if a little sloppily)..."

Yeah, the fucker splashed the water into it real quick-like, while holding the spoon in his hand over the glass. No dripping whatsoever. And he didn't even dissolve his sugar cube. Amateur!!!!

At least he didn't light it on fire...

"Please pardon our appearance while we are levitating..."
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 616

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually he didn't touch his mother. He wanted to, but she wouldn't let him ..."filth".

Other than that I agree 100%

Escapee from the drunk tank
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1306

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ghost Dog... it was on this morning!

Yeah, no more movie channels for me... I only watch the mummy & napoleon shows & BBC anyways.

I saw "Carnivale" last night and although they at least poured their absinthe properly (if a little sloppily) I was rather disappointed in the show.

So much potential. So little imagination.

They coulda at least made a decent absinthe bottle replica though. They took one of those clear froofy bottles from Pier 1 and put that giant big absinthe label on it that everyone uses in cinema these days.

***SPOILER***

It has the same problem that Six Feet Under had... that of taking a character (repressed gay man or man-who-heals-dead-and-sick-people-steven-king-style) and running through the generic situation mill. The writer thinks "Hmm, I wonder what gay men do? Oh... I KNOW! They date big black cops, go to discos, pick up men, do poppers, have one night stands, and then go to vegas and get busted ass fucking gay prostitutes so their big black now-ex boyfriend can bail them out, even when all of this is totally out of character with his quiet repressed funeral director persona." (btw - that was the only thing I *didn't like about Six Feet Under)...

In Carnivale our hero touches his dying mother, a woman with her dead baby, and a little crippled girl in a radio flyer. YAWN. All within the first 45 minutes of the series. Oh, not to mention psychic absinthe man touching him, and declaring he's the scariest most dangerous person since Lucifer was in short pants.

I hope it gets better.

Cuz I love me some freaks.

Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 1213

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I got rid of cable when I discovered you can download most of the good stuff on Usenet or Kazaa, sometimes before it airs.
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 2148

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

When you 2 quit fucking, you can address the issues of the Real Life.
Hi, what're ya havin'?
Pataphysician (Pataphysician)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Pataphysician

Post Number: 692
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

By the way, I saw "Masked and Anonymous" last weekend. Folks, this is the "Citizen Kane" of BOB movies. This is a work of undiluted genius. Anyone who doesn't agree to that is an absolute goddamn idiot.
Pataphysician (Pataphysician)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Pataphysician

Post Number: 691
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

GHOST DOG!!!
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey! you could connect this 1949 TV to two of your gramophones to make a home theater set !

...or get a new one. ;-)
Jay & The Imp (Thegreenimp)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Thegreenimp

Post Number: 400

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Time Warner Cable, it doesn't get any worse......Now that I have a house, I need to look into the dish, I wonder if it will work with my 1949 Dumont Television set.
I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, and I'm happy to state I've finally won out over it........Elwood. P. Dowd
Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 930
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have had a DirecTV dish for several years (NFL Sunday Ticket, you know). But I quit subscribing to HBO (and all other movie channels) when the free trial on those ran out, except for IFC, which I must have to watch Saturday morning Zatoichi movies, endless Ghost Dog reruns, and the occasional diamond in the independant film dung heap. Fortunately, they package IFC with the History and Discovery channels, where I can see mummies and Napoleon, etc.

But the reception is as close to perfect as it can get. No form of cable comes close.
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1305

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

AT&T Cable is the one I'm *still* throwing darts at 9 months after I cancelled both digi-cable and cable modem from them.

They are EEEVIL.

But SBC is our current foe. What a bunch of multi-million dollar retards.

Jay & The Imp (Thegreenimp)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Thegreenimp

Post Number: 399

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

WHO'S BITTER!?!?!?

Sounds like a person who moved recently.

Just try calling AT&T customer service to move your DSL line.
I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, and I'm happy to state I've finally won out over it........Elwood. P. Dowd
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1304

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

WHO'S BITTER!?!?!?

me.

Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1303

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Also digital cable is like watching tv thru an mpeg feed on dialup.

Well, perhaps a little bit better, but not much.

Have I mentioned satellite yet? And that 39.95 thing?

Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1302

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'd like to set the panties on fire of all cable companies.

They can bite me. Satellite Forever!

SBC Global Domination is next on my list.

Has it always been this bad???

Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 927
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Yeah, I'm gonna write them on that factoid."

Please don't forget to let them know that it was not a "liqueur".
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
le Duc

Post Number: 352

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

On Demand is great. It allows you to plan your TV-watching around your life, instead of the other way around...
Donnie Darko (Besançon)
le Vicomte
Username: Besançon

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Or if you have digital cable, you can watch it on HBO on demand for free anytime you want!
--------------------------------------------------
Gretchen--"Donnie Darko, sounds like some kind of superhero or something"
Donnie--"What makes you think I'm not?"
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1300

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sun 9/14 09:35 PM HBO - EAST
Tue 9/16 11:35 PM HBO - EAST
Wed 9/17 09:05 PM HBO - EAST
Fri 9/19 09:30 PM HBO - EAST
Sun 9/21 12:35 AM HBO - EAST

Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1299

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, I'm gonna write them on that factoid.

Nice treat: Adrienne Boobeau is in it!

le Duc

Post Number: 350

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

(Found on HBO's Carnivale website...)

Carnival Fact

Nicknamed "The Green Fairy" or "The Green Muse", absinthe was said to both heighten creativity and cause madness and epileptic fits to those who drank this mysterious green liqueur.

The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 610

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

11:35pm East Coast time... on HBO 201
Escapee from the drunk tank
Mrs. Head (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 1298

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.hbo.com/carnivale/?ntrack_para1=feat_main_image

Circus Freaks & Absinthe? YAYAYAYAAAAAAY!

Recap tonight... according to our Brethren at the Lounge there is some absinthe imbibification done all proper like, despite 15 yrs after the ban.

But remember, if it was still being drunk by whores in New Orleans, surely circus freaks could get their li'l mits on it.

Also, goddernit. I just cancelled my movie channels, now I gotta go add HBO back in.

Loungefeed: http://www.louchelounge.com/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=1050&hl=&s=36e0fa6cd74029cfece407d6a659bfdf

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page