Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Maxim letter

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Maxim letter « Previous Next »

Absinthe-Distribution.com (Markus) (Mclion)
le Duc
Username: Mclion

Post Number: 198

Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe you've got to see it from another point of view. Pernod 68 is surely not one of the top sorts, but Pernod Ricard as a company is able to push Absinthe back into people’s minds. They are not actively pushing it, but articles like the one we're talking about always has some sort of impact.

It's the same with the German sort "Tabu". The stuff itself is undrinkable, but the company does a lot of marketing. Generally it makes Absinthe more known and it's only one more step to educate people about quality.

I always compare Absinthe a bit to what was Single Malt Whisky 10-15 years ago. You could find Glenfiddich in some stores - now you can find Lagavullin and others. Now you can find Tabu, maybe in some time you can find Un Emile or Segarra. Sure there are some stores carrying the top sorts now as well, but these are rare. I don't have to mention, that I'm speaking about Germany, do I?

It all depends on what is going to be done to make Absinthe more popular. We had tons of articles like the one in Maxime two years ago, now it's rather getting calm on Absinthe. We'll see how it developes.

Different thing in the U.S, I know.... the laws first have to change, but than?

Markus
www.Absinthe-Distribution.com
Pataphysician (Pataphysician)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Pataphysician

Post Number: 698
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Horrible forgotten suffering=

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3552945705&category=41897

vincent vega (Lord_stanley)
Mousquetaire
Username: Lord_stanley

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

> I guess that leaves more of the good stuff for the rest of us.

I just meant the Maxim staffers can have their P68 and Strong and the letter writer can stick to his vodka/wormwood concoctions. The more discerning absinthe drinkers can have the good stuff like Emile, Guy, Segarra, La Bleue or whatever. I kind of like the Spanish NS. I'm not sure what everyone around here thinks about it.

Not that the Pernod is all that bad. It sure doesn't deserve to be mentioned with the Czech Strong crap.
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 618

Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"this year there will be more people (hopefully) on the jury who know what absinthe actually tastes like. "

Send me a ticket and I'll be there...
Escapee from the drunk tank
pierre verte (Petermarc)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Petermarc

Post Number: 507

Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

pernod (ricard) 68° was also rated 2nd out of 10 absinthes tasted at the pontarlier 'absinthiades' last year...this year there will be more people (hopefully) on the jury who know what absinthe actually tastes like.

Pervert Euchre (Perruche_verte)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Perruche_verte

Post Number: 512

Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I guess that leaves more of the good stuff for the rest of us."

Cute, but I hope you're kidding... it's sad that Pernod can make (buy?) their way into first place while better absinthes remain hard to find. And part of that is a consumer education problem. If people think it's all 'green toxin', they're not going to demand a good absinthe at a good price, so the good stuff will remain rare (and expensive).

There have been encouraging signs lately, like the entry of more distilled absinthes into the market (e.g. Abisinthe), but the golden years are yet to come.
"Drink accomplished what God did not." --Marguerite Duras
vincent vega (Lord_stanley)
Mousquetaire
Username: Lord_stanley

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In response to Maxim's recent absinthe article, Marco C. has the following to say:

"In your August issue, you talk about absinthe as though it were a fine scotch whiskey. Come on, guys. The shit sears your throat on the way down. I've been swigging this green toxin for five years, so believe me when I say it's best enjoyed when you're already sloshed."

So Maxim's writers thought that Pernod 68 and Czech Strong deserved the highest ratings in their survey while their reader thinks it's all "green toxin." I guess that leaves more of the good stuff for the rest of us.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page