Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through September 21, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Absinthe, A Myth Always Green . » Archive through September 21, 2003 « Previous Next »

Absinthe-Distribution.com (Markus) (Mclion)
le Duc
Username: Mclion

Post Number: 201

Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yep - I've got this one as well. It's always fascinating to see GPO. By the way - did you know that TG are going to play live next year? It's a kind of festival in the UK. Search for RE-TG... I saw Coil last year in Zürich (CH) and it was very good. Love to see NWW one day...
Markus
www.Absinthe-Distribution.com
Donnie Darko (Besanšon)
le Vicomte
Username: Besanšon

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you like that book, I highly recommend Tape Delay. It chronicles the development of industrial/goth culture through fascinating interviews w/ Genesis P. Orridge, Michael Gira, Lydia Lunch, and many others.

There's 2 kinds of "goth". There's the fashion trend, where priviliged kiddies desperate for attention pretend to be tortured souls. Then there's those who actually READ, create, have a sense of humour, spend virtually no time brooding, and simply have an appreciation for aesthetics that are perceived to be macabre or taboo by the general public.

But to get back on topic, I'm really looking forward to Benoits book. I almost picked it up in France, but my French is admittedly pretty bad, so I'm glad I waited...
--------------------------------------------------
Gretchen--"Donnie Darko, sounds like some kind of superhero or something"
Donnie--"What makes you think I'm not?"
Absinthe-Distribution.com (Markus) (Mclion)
le Duc
Username: Mclion

Post Number: 200

Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bravo Wolfgang - Goth is much more than commonly known. Absinthe is much more than commonly known as well!

I'm presently reading this one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0946719403/qid=1064140135/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-2378991-1947250?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

which is kind of a biography - very nice to read....
Markus
www.Absinthe-Distribution.com
Crochety Old Bastard (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 941
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Then they went to robbing graveyards for finger bones with which to craft absinthe spoons ....
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
Refugee (Sheepprofessor)
Mousquetaire
Username: Sheepprofessor

Post Number: 13

Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Personally, I've had a low opinion of the Goths ever since the bastards sacked Rome. F*cking barbarians.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 937
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfgang, please bear in mind that I am the translator - it's not up to me to apologize for Mr. Noel, or to explain his opinions. I don't necessarily share his opinions.

Bob, Poppy's fans will probably take no solace from anything said by me or Noel - in any case, I did no explaining of any kind in that book, I merely translated what was put before me. But in that book, Mr. Noel was not shy about spotlighting MANY people and things, including "absinthes" that he considered irrelevant to absinthe.
"He is an unapologetic, crochety old bastard who will peddle any fibs that will make him a buck, or put him on a pedestal."
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Mr. Noel has a low opinion of Goths is probably putting it mildly "

And you know what ? That's exactly the opinion of old "alterns" from the 80s-early 90s who are now called goth and mixed up with the fucked-up vampire wannabe geek kids.

But I guess Mr. Noel doesn't know any old school goth, hence his uninformed opinion.

If he happens to travel to Montreal, I'll be more than happy to organize an absinthe soiree and introduce him to a few interesting peoples. What I mean by "interesting peoples" is historians, sociologist, artists and people of rich cultural heritage; old school goths who've been around this little joke of a scene for more than a few years, people who are worth more than the fancy clothes they wear. Of course those people represent no more than 1% of what the gothic scene have become but they are the roots.

He could also be surprised to see how many goths from my area knows more about absinthe than the average joe...
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 229
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

I have seen a reference to the French version on the WWW somewhere - someone read it on the train in France, and got pissed off because Mr. Noel failed to recognize the genius of Poppy Z. Brite.

I hope you were kind enough to explain to the ignorant that while absinthe may be relevant to Poppy Z. Brite, she is irrelevant to absinthe.
Pataphysician (Pataphysician)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Pataphysician

Post Number: 695
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Overheard at a restaurant the other night:

"Our daughter Suzy is starting at Tulane this fall."
"Ooo. New Orleans is a very interesting city."
"Yes, I think Suzy will really enjoy it there. She's Gothic, you know. With the black clothes and all that."
Donnie Darko (Besanšon)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>>Verte" in the context of the title means "juicy" as in gossip, scandal, something fit for the pages of the National Inquirer. <<

Absinthe, A Myth Always Ripe? I think just saying a myth always green works great, it implies that the myth is perpetually fresh, though I guess the scandalous aspect is lost. In any case I'm looking forward to my copy.

Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 936
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And everybody here should order one right now. Anybody who has ever ordered a bottle of Absente, or any Spanish-mix or Czech absinthe, should order ten as penance.

The book was written by Benoit Noel, a French art historian who knows more than a little about absinthe.

It was originally published under its French name, and later translated into Italian.

I have seen a reference to the French version on the WWW somewhere - someone read it on the train in France, and got pissed off because Mr. Noel failed to recognize the genius of Poppy Z. Brite. This person made her complaint known on a Goth forum, and got the apparently expected indignant amens. What they failed to recognize, is that:
1. The book is not about Goths, but about absinthe; real absinthe, not absinthe as Poppy imagined it might be in her works, and
2. To say that Mr. Noel has a low opinion of Goths is probably putting it mildly

One of the first decisions was how to title it in English - it was decided to keep it literal. "Verte" in the context of the title means "juicy" as in gossip, scandal, something fit for the pages of the National Inquirer. However, to translate it that way loses the fine play on words represented in the French ...

Further, the task was to translate Mr. Noel's insights and opinions into English while retaining his voice and his French tone.

The Buyer's Guide section is informed by the travels of Pierre Verte (he didn't make all those trips to Spain, etc. for nothing ...) and was proofed by one TABreaux. It was up to date and as comprehensive as any in the world (moreso, probably) as of the time the book went to press.

The physical quality of the book may disappoint - it is NOT up the standard of Conrad's book, for example, but language barriers, etc. made that aspect of it difficult to foresee or control.
pierre verte (Petermarc)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Petermarc

Post Number: 500

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

ebay is the only place to order as of right now.
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

So where would be the best place to order the book ?
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 932
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Then whoever buys from that offering is giving the most to the people who deserve it most. I'm not trying to be cagey, I simply didn't know that Ebay was going to be one of the distribution points (Peter probably told me, but sometimes I'm dense), and not being a member of Ebay, I can't look up information about the sellers.
Z (Zman7)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Zman7

Post Number: 367
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Peter is the seller.
Imperial Order of Absinthe
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 926
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Let me expand upon my answer to Icarus.

The desire is, as I understand it, to deliver profit, such as it might be, into the hands of the principals and not into those of some Ebay reseller such as the scum that pop there from time to time and who have been discussed here and on the Lounge, ad nauseum.

IF the seller on Ebay is who Donnie says it is (I don't know, I don't know my way around Ebay and I wasn't in on this particular aspect of the book distribution), then the offer to sell is indeed by one of the principals and not by scammer nor scum.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 925
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Peter, Artemis...is this for real?"

I'm as surprised as you are to see it on Ebay, but yes, it's legitimate.

"Does this money go to you, or is someone else making the profit?"

Maybe and yes. It's very complicated, but if you're asking whether this is a ripoff of me or Peter, the answer is no.

"Has it been mentioned before?"

I've hinted it at it here before, but nobody who didn't already know what I was talking about would have picked up on it. It's been in the works for over a year now, but neither Peter nor I have said much about it. I can't speak for Benoit, but since he almost never posts here and he lives in France, he was no threat to give it away.
pierre verte (Petermarc)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 499

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

shhhhh!
Donnie Darko (Besanšon)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Paypal sez Peter Schaf. I bet the $ goes right to da man...
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 613

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes.. briefly.
Escapee from the drunk tank
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Duc
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 225
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Has it been mentioned before?
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 612

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does this money go to you, or is someone else making the profit? I'd rather give the most to you guys.
Escapee from the drunk tank
The Levitating Grin Salesman (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 351

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just bought one.

"Please pardon our appearance while we are levitating..."
pierre verte (Petermarc)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 498

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

as a heart-attack
The Levitating Grin Salesman (Rimbaud)
le Duc
Username: Rimbaud

Post Number: 349

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Peter, Artemis...is this for real?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3552334613&category=378
"Please pardon our appearance while we are levitating..."

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page