Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Opera Discussion

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » Opera Discussion « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through October 27, 2002Nolamour25 10-27-02  10:44 am
Archive through November 05, 2002Marc25 11-5-02  6:17 pm
Archive through November 06, 2002Tortainglese25 11-6-02  3:33 pm
Archive through November 08, 2002Nolamour25 11-8-02  10:53 pm
Archive through November 14, 2002Tortainglese25 11-14-02  10:23 pm
Archive through January 03, 2003Tortainglese25 1-3-03  10:36 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

angry psycho (Angryp)
Mousquetaire
Username: Angryp

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Saw Les Toyens at the Met and La Boheme at the City Opera this past week. I fear I didn't like Les Toyens as much as Tort did. I didn't find the music terribly stirring and it was a bit long.

La Boheme was also a little disappointing. The voice of the actor who sang Rodolfo coudn't fill the auditorium very well, and he was sometimes hard to hear against the orchestra and the other performers. Musetta was rather shrill and overdid it a little (even given the part!). The actress who sang Mimi was very good, though.
Masqued Reveler (Nolamour)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Nolamour

Post Number: 594

Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Screw that...I pay TOP Billing! Orchestra or Box seats only. And I insist on purchasing for 3 others on top of myself...I must have control of the seating. As an Elitist Bastard, I defend my name with the ungodly amounts of cash I have on hand.
The tree may only be picked from persons in my blood line.

Next year, I shall eat from the dumpster.
Laissez le Bon Temps Rouler!
Tortainglese (Tortainglese)
le Vicomte
Username: Tortainglese

Post Number: 199
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bad dog, down boy! You dont have to be rich to go to the Met, you just need a scheme. Monday I went to the Met courtesy of my date, who is a music critic for a major publication. I dont have $250 to spend on a night at the opera. $265 if you include the drinks at the bar during intermission. Other times I turn up 5 minutes before curtain and buy a half priced ticket from some desperate person selling their seat. This is the best way to get a good seat for cheap. If you have balls you can get a $160 seat for $25.
Justin Kim (Angryp)
Paysan
Username: Angryp

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I want you all to know that I hate you all for having the funds to go to the Met this season. For the record, you all suck because of my misfortune. Arrgh. I hate being poor.

Dammit. I need to get out of this mickey mouse internet bullshit.
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 198
Posted on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had never heard this opera before. I went in as a clean slate. yes, there was a big horse of sorts. At first you saw the big horse upstage in the air. When it came in closer they used a shadow puppet effect to magnify the horse to epic proportion. It was quite cleaver. I like the shadow effect but the actual horse kind of reminded me of something from The Lion King.

There were two intermissions and the bar ran out of food completely. I ate before going but my poor date was starving.
Masqued Reveler (Nolamour)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Nolamour

Post Number: 585

Posted on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow...Five Hours...I'm glad to hear it was a piece of cake. 2 Intermissions or 4?
I have NOT seen this staged, but, I know of a 1983 Placido recording. So, how was Helenus?...and was there a Giant Wooden Horse on stage?
Sounds like a great one to see.
Laissez le Bon Temps Rouler!
Paysan

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Nola-
I attended the opening night of Les Troyens at the Met last night. This Berlioz epic is seldom staged and has a five hour running time. Nobody goes to the opera for the dancing but, in this production the ballets by Doug Varone and company were on par witht he voices. An excellent first class fusion of dance and singing. A great achievement. My favorite singers were Lorraine Hunt Lieberson as Queen Dido and Matthew Polenzani, who made a huge impact with a small part. The cast also included Ben Heppner and Deborah Voigt. The five hour marathon was a piece of cake to sit through. It was a splendid night.
Tortainglese
Posted on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

When I was a teenager, the Mozart operas were my favorites. I also had a period of being really into French opera, and the Pearl Fishers still remain a favorite. There was also a Baroque period. Now I am trying to fill the gaps. I want to see Nabucco @ the Met this Spring. The standard favorites still enchant me. Rigoletto, La traviata and cavalleria-I never get tired of these. I saw Gheorghiu at La Fenice yesterday on TV singing Violetta. God, it so beautiful.
Nolamour
Posted on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Tort, if you're still around checking the forum...

I went to Cosi Fan Tutte this evening. You would have been shocked (knowing how you like tenors). This guy that played Ferrando was horrendous! He ruined the Opera (for me). Although, he seemed to have a big group of friends in the crowd. He strained each note...I know Mozart isn't that easy to do, but this guy should stick with nursery tunes.

Oh well, it was altogether a fun Opera and we laughed a lot, but I'd rather more dramatic. What do you think of it?
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don't know it...this is all I could find.

http://www.operaam.org/nrotsloa.htm
Uncle
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I caught the end of an opera on Ovation called Flight. Has anyone seen it? How dose it stack up? It takes place in a airport and they wear a lot of floral prints and large checks. I guess these are travaling clothes?
Bjacques
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And now performing in Amsterdam...

http://www.xaviera-theatre.com/

I think I'll check this out

And speaking of non-castrati with incredible vocal ranges...

There's an early 1970s industrial film called 1999 (or maybe 2000) sponsored by Philco Ford and starring game show host Wink Martindale, living the SoCal life in that high-tech future. On saturday night he and the missus throw a cocktail party and turn on the telescreen for a concert by a (Brazilian?) singer whose name I forget. His range is alto to Siren-from-1960s-Batman.
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://maroon.loyno.edu/022500/news/story5.html

http://www.roguevalleychorale.org/prognotessoloists.html

Your neck of the woods?
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, best thing all year? C'mon, was it just cause you think he's a looker or did he really put on a good show vocally?

I know you are a tenor babe...I have to send you a CD of my friend Brian Hymel. You'd like him. He was a big hefty guy, but when he was accepted to the SF Opera, he ended up loosing all the weight. Kept the voice, thank goodness.
Tortainglese
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

what a total babe of a baritone, and I'm a tenor girl! I'm telling you every pair of panties in the Met were wet. He sang Don Giovanni along with Barbara Frittoli and Carol Vaness. I saw all of this from the glory of the 11th row center orchestra. This was my 4th Don G this season, so I was a wee bit reluctant. But it was the best thing I have seen all year. Hvorostovsky, yummy yummy.
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Editor not allowing right now...

I was going to add: Tickets for girlfriend and family (not all for me).
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Torty!

Dmitri Hvorostovsky - The Russian Baritone that women swoon over?

What did he perform? Was it worth it?

I have 7 tickets to Don Giovanni and Rigoletto. I'm now broke.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page