Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through November 05, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » Opera Discussion » Archive through November 05, 2002 « Previous Next »

Marc
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I recently went to a production of LA TRAVIATA.
The last hour was unendurable. I kept waiting for the lead character to die. Just when I thought she was about to kick (sparing me any more bad theater), she was once again miraculously spared, only to sing for another agonizing half hour. What cornball tripe. I kept thinking:
Opera doesn't require acting, it just involves loud people describing their feelings and actions.
It ain't acting, its explication at full volume.
Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Doc...I knew you were serious. I just didn't have the notion to berate your opinion.

There are too many rebuttals to this argument.
Puccini, for instance…See http://www.ao.net/~jmo/john/music/bravo.html - I could go on and on...
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I wasn't being flippant, Nola. I do think that opera sucks.

Not for lack of exposure. I subscribed to the Sand Diego Opera for 6 seasons. Not "Un Emile", not "Hill's". Decent opera.

No way. Take any opera by Verdi, the biggest offender, in my mind.

Say "La Traviata". Take the acting part, the "script". Forget Euripides or Shakespeare. Forget Tom Stoppard. Forget ANYBODY who has ever written a play, this is so stupid and bad and just plain painful.

So let's go to the music. Try this. Play any part of "La Traviata". Any part. Then play the equivalent lenght of time of Bach's "Concert for Two Violins" or Beethoven's "Violin Concerto".

Compared to this, opera is rank sentimentality.
Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

HA HA HA!!!

That's good.

To understand, in every respect, the emotion and talent (even the lack of) is to overlook a certain "Stereotype" that is NOT true for all Opera.

A new "fascinating" world awaits an open mind.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I hate it when opera is fucked with."

How can you fuck with opera? You have 230 lbs, 50+ years old, over-weight tenors playing teenagers, divas that roll over the stage like sea-lions playing Juliet, basses that could not get a job as parking attendants... c'mon...

It's bad theater, and besides Mozart, bad music.
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I hate it when opera is fucked with."

Yea...This goes for other mediums as well. Like, let's say classic MOVIES!
See my future post in the Movie Forum about this.

What? Lakme is great! Oh I see...You don't like it because of the leading coloratura soprano role. - LOL (Tortie needs Tenors)
Angryp
Posted on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm also a big fan of Moulin Rouge (in fact, it's probably my favorite movie of all time), but can understand why people don't like it. It's so over the top, if you can't just surrender to it there's no way you'll enjoy it.

If the list NYC opera goers end up doing an opera near the end of the season, count me in. I haven't been this season (freelance webstuff has been very hard to get lately) and would love an excuse to blow some money on a ticket.

I'd like to put a vote in for the Met. I find Met Titles far less distracting than supertitles.
Tortainglese
Posted on Sunday, November 3, 2002 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, my listening focus is within a very narrow perimiter. This is partly because the opera repetoire is so vast, so varied and I need to be proficient in it for work. I am trying to become more knowledgeable about a huge body of music. This takes years, dedication and money. My listening time has to be well spent, thus not much time for variety or exploring.

I recently heard a Celtic rock band at a goth club and I loved the music. Wish I knew something about it. It made me think that I need to listen to some different stuff once in a while. But it will never happen...
Nolamour
Posted on Sunday, November 3, 2002 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I grew up with an extreme variety of music and Metal turned out to be one of them. My brother was an old "Dead-Head" and he passed on all of his records to me...such as, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Montrose, Beatles, Iron Butterfly, Grand Funk, and the Dead. Mom, of course, gave me the Opera and Dad loved Hank Williams Sr. Then I met a very strong headed individual that only listened to Judas Priest, Sabbath, and Kiss, which eventually turned into Slayer and other Various Metal (Speed, Black and Death Metal) - They all stuck with me.

There was a band called Celtic Frost that implemented string quartets and other symphonic melodies into their "Metal" music. Quite unique and inventive…Their lyrics told some outlandish stories as well.

Mom used to say: "How can you listen to The Glenn Miller Orchestra and then go straight into Metallica" - Well, variety is the spice of life, I guess.
Tortainglese
Posted on Sunday, November 3, 2002 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't listen to heavy metal or know anything about it, but I respect it beacuse it has an aesthetic all its own. It is so extreme, so over the top, it is fascinating performance.
Marc
Posted on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I watched MOULIN ROUGE the other night for the umpteenth time. I love it.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

slayer is fairly heavy metal group torty... i've always been partial to their "seasons in the abyss"
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah! Moulin Rouge... hawwwwk pooooey!
Tortainglese
Posted on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My advice for the Elton John Aida: AVOID AVOID AVOID!! Yetch, bleck, phooey! What a totally annoying experience that was.

Have you heard La Boheme is coming to Broadway? Yep, a bway version by the talentless hack director who made us suffer through Moulin Rougue.

I hate it when opera is fucked with. For centuries it has been just peachy in its original format. I dont need some low life pop musician MTV director with no clue messing it up.

I like Faust, in general I like French opera. Saw Lakme for the first time recently but was a bit disappointed in it. For instance, I adore the Pearl Fishers, which we seldom get to hear.

what the hell is slayer? sounds like a video game.
Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had a mean omelet once. But I sent it back, of course.
Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually Slayer DOES rule! I first heard "Die By The Sword" when I and (A guy you would probably know if I named him) bought the album in the mid 80's - We thought they were crazy to sound like that...we then bought "Hell Awaits" a year later and we were hooked.
Just last year, Slayer opened up for my same friend's band and we both sat on stage going: "Man, do you remember when we used to listen to Slayer" He says: "I can't believe they are OPENING UP for us." - True story...Maybe you can figure out who I'm talking about.

FAUST
Composer: Charles Gounod
Year Composed: 1859
Period: Romantic (1820-1869)
Genre: Opera
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh shit!

Me and Uncle thought this was
an Oprah thread... Back to the
Monkey Hole!
Uncle
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Opera is what gay folks did before Cher and techno. Is Faust an opera? Dude! Listen to Slayer.....Slayer Rules! just kidding.
Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

When I was a yoot! "Did you say, Yoot?"...a youth, there was a man that worked at Camellia Grill named "BAT" and when I would come in to eat he always knew what I wanted. Lightly cooked waffle, eggs and bacon, and, of course, the freeze (chocolate). He had to reduce his work hours there as everybody that came in asked for him...the other workers were not making any money. I was there about a month ago and they said he STILL works there, about 2 days a week.

Yes, Frankie and Johnny’s is another staple of Nawlins. Crawfish galore!
I don't particularly care for Commander's as I am a Galatoire's man. There is a "Secret" competition between the two. Galatoire's is more traditional (1905) with better food and better prices. (Shrimp remoulade, oysters Rockefeller, crabmeat Maison, shrimp Clemenceau, pompano with sautéed crabmeat meuniere, and banana bread pudding) - decadent! I don't guess knowing the owners and staff have anything to do with my bias...lol

Should this go into another category, perhaps?

Do you know anything about the Elton John's Aida? What's the deal with this? Can't be opera.
Bob_Chong
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Camellia Grill is on S. Carrolton and makes a mean omelet.

The best po-boy experience, IMO, is Domilise's on Annunciation. Shrimp was my favorite, with roast beef and swiss a close second. The roast beef, dressed, was a ten napkin sandwich. I used to live about four blocks from there.

The best red beans were at Frankie & Johnnie's, on Tchoup, not far from there.

My Commander's experience was like yours. I went there when my parents came for a visit, and I had quit smoking and been on a poor-man's subsistence diet up until then. The amount of butterfat consumed in that one meal was more than I had had in the two months prior, combined. Flaming red-eye!
Tortainglese
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I did go once to the Camilia Grill late at night and ate french toast I think. The place was full of drunk frat boys types. It is the kind of exquiste dive that I love. Yep, you can eat yourself into a coma in New Orleans.

Once after a very rich heavy meal at Commanders palace I suffered a huge diarrhea attach in some Fauborg Marigny (eek spelling!) bar. No toilet paper in the place. though I would die. Just too much rich food pushed me over the edge. My sister said it happened to house guests all the time.

enough about the food, I hope the Salome is good.
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

LOL!
Yes, I know of the Streetcar establishment you speak of...and it IS on St. Charles Avenue. Great place. However, Camelia Grill (at the other end of St. Charles) is a staple of New Orleans late night drunk food (or anytime). On Sundays, you have to wait in line even at 9 am.
I moved back here about a year ago and the weight gain started...I had to put a stop to it quickly.

Well, Salome is next...I had to buy 3 tickets this time. (whew)
Tortainglese
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The pimms cup was always my drink of choice at Napolean House along with the tuna club sandwich.
boy, I miss that place. and do you know a little place called streetcar sandwiches, I think on Charles Street? I used to go direct from the airport to get a half oyster half shrimp po boy. by God the food is good in New Orleans. Glad I dont live there, I'd be fat as a cow.
Nolamour
Posted on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's ok about the orchestral works...It's not my strength either. However, I do know some about the symphony and this one is just so good I had to ask if you knew it.

As for the Napoleon House - I used to love going there. In my latter years of High School and early college, I'd go there for a Pimms Cup (a very interesting drink with a cucumber garnish). My older brother was the big Pimms Cup fan and that was his favorite place as he knew all of the bar workers and managers. They also have a damn good Mufaletta.

Oh, I'm envious of you seeing La Traviata! I haven't seen it in years. Glad you enjoyed it, understandably. And yes...I can't wait for Rigoletto either.
As for Figaro...I think it’s very important that the Figaro be funny and physical (drama styles, or the lack thereof, can make or break a showing, don't you think?)
Tortainglese
Posted on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I dont know this organ work at all, totally unknown to me but orchestral work is not my strength.

La traviata was great, I cried buckets. the casting was excellent over all. I know it is so predictable but it is one of my favorites.

just so you know Nola, on my bedroom wall is an old etching of the Napolean House in a lovely gilt frame. my sister lived in New Orleans for many years. I loved going to Napolean house and drinking cocktails in the little court yard. I guess very touristy thing to do, but what the heck, I loved it!

did I tell you I saw Marriage of Figaro Friday? beautifull, especially in regards to period mannerism and movement. it was very funny too. Nathan Berg sang Figaro. he also did Leoporello earlier this season. he is great in these Mozart parts because he has the voice plus he is funny and very physical.

I think this Tuesday I see Barber of Seville, not one of my favorites. I am really waiting for Rigoletto to come up.

as you can see, I am really a junkie.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page