Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through November 06, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » Opera Discussion » Archive through November 06, 2002 « Previous Next »

Tortainglese
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry Marc, but if you liked opera you could get all the death threats, misogyny, lies and venom you need in a mere 3 hours. At home I like peace, which is why I just got divorced.

Now nobody piss me off or I'll start a new thread about my cats. That'll fix ya fer good.

is anyone proofing this for typos?
Marc
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The warm and fuzzy forum is a real snooze.
I miss the good old days of death threats, misogyny, lies, and venom.

YOU MOTHERFUCKERS ARE BORING.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

O...

Good idea, go relax
and have yourself an
ice cream koan.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

OK, I quit.

Nothing personal, Torty. I just enjoy a good fight. In the good ol' times, if I had said to Marc one tenth of what I said to you and Nola, he would have hopped in the next flight to come and beat me to a pulp.

I miss that passion. I hoped that insulting opera people would elicit an interesting response. Wrong.

Dr. O goes back to his mild, boring Swiss persona.
Crosby
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A stagehands perspective:

Opera = Bad
Ballet = Good

Opera scenery: Big, heavy, but at least there is a lot of it.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And Nola...
You're welcome.
I like to help.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe we should have a big
Trivial Pursuit gathering and
all the big head know it alls
can face off at the card table
and match wits against each other
WITHOUT the help of Google?
Tortainglese
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr O: why are you so aggressive and insulting? why do you feel the need to pick a public fight with a woman you have neve met, never spoken to, and have never been wronged by? If you dont like opera, fine, great, the world will continue. If you can't add something relevant, positive or polite, go to another thread. There is plenty here to select fromm.
Admin
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

uh, this IS the "Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries" Forum.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I suppose Dr. O thinks ballet lovers are snobbish and ignorant too. "

Spoon, you don't REALLY want to get me started about ballet, do you...?

Torty, if you want this to be a private conversation between you and Nola, why don't you fucking email each other instead of wasting Kallisti's bandwith?
Nolamour
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

ROTFL...

Thank you, Head, for putting it all in perspective! "Gary Coleman sings LEPORELLO"

I grew up with this art...It's in my blood, I could care less what others think.

foolish and pretentious? Well, I never... (placing Monocle in right eye)
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don't you mind Dr. Type'O.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I wanna be a part of it...
Tortainglese
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr. O, I am not known as a typist, ok? I dont even type my user name right half of the time. What is your point man? why are you here looking for a petty fight? why should you care what Nola and I like or not? Go back to the monkey hole and leave us in peace.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 5:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

This thread takes it in the Ass!

...long winded, just like opera.

BATBOY BATBOY BATBOY!!!
Absinthespoon
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 4:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Operas were the popular (as in "pop") entertainment of the day. In Baroque times, and possibly later (I don't know about that, I'm not an expert) opera-goers _would_ eat, drink, etc. during the performance. And I agree that most of the stories are insipid. Boy sees girl from afar, swears eternal love, angst ensues, everyone dies.

So what? I fucking love opera. I am not being snobbish or overly ignorant. To each his own. Just because you don't enjoy it, doesn't invalidate its merits. There are so many exquisite moments of such beauty it brings tears to my eyes. There are also many long hours of stuff that bores me to tears, so I learn what I like and what I don't.

My true love is ballet. I suppose Dr. O thinks ballet lovers are snobbish and ignorant too.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, by the way, Torty and Nola, you opera experts...

It's Leporello and not Leoporello.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I look at it like this: either you get it or you don't. "

Not a valid argument, Torty. The same can be said of coprophilia or child molesting.

The problem with opera lovers is that they are at the same time snobbish and ignorant.

They ignore the fact that during Mozart's time people would walk in and out of the theater, eat, talk, basically not give a shit about the play except for the ouverture and the arias.

Nobody was expected to seat in religious silence for 3 or 4 hours watching overweight bad actors speak German.

You guys are the musical equivalent to "burning the sugar" in absinthe. You think you are doing something that makes you special, when you are merely being foolish and pretentious.

So Hvorostovsky is doing Leporello? Can't wait.

The unpronounceable doing the unbearable.

"...it just involves loud people describing their feelings and actions. "

Thanks, Marc. Just like a Northern California self-improvement workshop...
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc is having a little opera of his own. Pour me one ...
Marc
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"In an age that considers MOULIN ROUGE the best film of the year..."

What "age" are you referring to? One person's opinion does not constitute an "age".

As far as pop entertainments go, MOULIN ROUGE was alot of fun. It was beautifully designed, photographed and costumed. It was, dare I say it, operatic. I'm a tough critic and am not inclined to liking a film filled with "silly love songs". But, MOULIN ROUGE was an exhilirating rush of images and over-the-top production numbers. Watching Jim Broadbent deconstruct LIKE A VIRGIN was a hoot. And the duets sung by Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor had a kind of lysergic loopiness
and hyper romanticism that made my spine tingle.
MOULIN ROUGE is one long musical crescendo.
It breathes new life into tired cliches and strings one epiphany after another. It is a film that revels in its excess. It is a "spectacular, spectacular". Silly, but lovely.
Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"In an age that considers Moulin Rouge to be the best film of the year, how can I expect anyone to understand the beauty of opera?"

Oh Tort...You do have a way with words! Enough said! Pay no mind...

Very Cool. I did not know that Hvorostovsky was doing Leoporello.
Our line up is: Christopher Schaldenbrand, John Stephens, and my friend Bryan Hymel in March. Anything with Bryan should be quite interesting.

Sign me up for the NYC Gathering!
Marc
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

tort,

you elitist twat! I certainly need no enlightenment from you. And I think that I can different trash from treasure. I've spent most of my life reading good books, seeing great films, listening to all kinds of music, and exploring the works of the great painters. With or without your enlightenment, I say opera sucks. Thats my opinion. Now blow me.
Tortainglese
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry to bash your film Angryp, I was on a rampage. I too saw Ainhoa last season at the Met.
I think I saw her do Musetta...it all gets blurry by the end of the season.

I still think we should organize a NYC opera absinthe party. That would be divine. No philistines need apply. More juice for us.
Tortainglese
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I look at it like this: either you get it or you don't. And if you don't, I have no interest in wasting my time trying to enlighten you. The world is full of opera lovers. I don't need to convert anyone to have company on my side of this arguement. Opera is not for everyone, it is not popular culture anymore. In an age that considers Moulin Rouge to be the best film of the year, how can I expect anyone to understand the beauty of opera? We are talking trash and treasure here. Not even worth discussing...

Now, let me talk to Nola again. Did you see Hvorostovsky is singing Don Giovanni at the Met. But he is singing the Don and not Leoporello. I gotta see this!

As for the Lakme, it has a tenor lead. In fact the tenor I heard is an ex lover even! But still, not a great opera.
Angryp
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

(glyph of banging one's head against a hard surface)

Philistines :)

Personally, I find Opera far more interesting than any other form of performance.

One of my best experiences was seeing Ainhoa Arteta (who also does a good Musetta) play Violetta in Traviata at the Met a few years ago. The final act you found so excruciating raised goosebumps on me. I've seen Traviata every year since.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page