Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through November 08, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » Opera Discussion » Archive through November 08, 2002 « Previous Next »

Nolamour
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mercyful Fate's "Melissa" was so evil that my mother threw out the album that I bought many years ago. I, of course, had to retrieve it from the dumps and keep it at a friend's house. Yes, "Don't Break The Oath" is classic.

"Evil Messengers...With Blood Stained Wings" - Everybody sing!

Aspoon: I agree with you on the counter-tenor fact, but I didn't know it was considered legit anymore. That's awesome, by the way...could you suggest a current counter-tenor that I could look into?
Uncle
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You can't deny "Don't break the oath" . The first& best Opera/Metal happy meal for the ears!
2loucheltrec
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

so there's hope yet for king diamond's crossover!
nola- i always liked his "them" and the sequel "conspiracy", i just listened to those in the car. his newer "the graveyard" is in rotation now. now the last real stuff i'd seen was "the marriage of figaro" at wolf trap a few years ago.
Absinthespoon
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually "falsetto" is properly termed counter-tenor. Many baroque operas have counter-tenor roles which were originally sung by castrati. In recent times, most counter-tenor roles have been sung by female sopranos. But there are a number of extremely talented male singers today who sing counter-tenor roles. We saw Giulio Cesare at SF Opera with David Daniels as Ceasar and Bejun Mehta as Ptolomy, and they were magnificent! Ruth Ann Swenson was superb as Cleopatra. This was the best opera performance I have ever seen- the entire audience leapt to their feet at the end screaming bravo! I see Daniels and Mehta also sang these roles at the Paris Opera last month.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was refering to the
question of ... grrrrrr!
Admin
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I saw Evil Kinevil eat lunch once.
Marc
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

head,

please explain what you did mean by the skin flute comment. I figured you were referring to Nomi's gayness.
Marc
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I snorted a shitload of blow with Jeffrey Lee Pierce one night back in the '80s. He was a sweet man with a huge capacity for intoxicants.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for clearing that up.
Though that was not my point.

ALL of my friends are gay.
GAY GAY GAY I TELL YOU!!!
So what?

I like opera and I like my vocalist to be
a little off center. Gimmie an Iris Demint or a
Jeffery Lee Pierce or a Tiny Tim
or a Klaus Nomi anyday...

Put on a little Diamanda Galas and I'm
purring like a kitten...
Marc
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

head,

Klaus was not strictly gay. In fact, at one time he was dating a former girlfriend of mine, Claudia.
He was not promiscous. In fact, he was somewhat sexually repressed. Sadly, he was the first person I knew to die of AIDS.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

He played the skin flute
with finesse... where'd he
learn that?
Marc
Posted on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Klaus Nomi was a back-up singer in my band for awhile. I taught him to play guitar...poorly.
Uncle
Posted on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I use to listen to Candlemass! They were great! I never got the fact that they worn monk robes. But that guy could let out a 4 octave beltch and sound good.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lest we not forget

...the Great Klaus Nomi?
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Personally, I would not say any of that could be considered opera. Those are just titles for the lack of any other title. "What's a good title for this show?" Hopera rhymes with opera.

Don't get me wrong...Tommy and JC Superstar are classics - They are more on the level of Broadway musicals, etc. This is just my opinion.

King Diamond uses a very strong Falsetto voice to sound the way he does (and he’s very good at it). It’s normally not used for male roles in opera. Falsetto is sometimes considered cheating (for a man) as it may be used to hit high notes that the actual full voice cannot reach. Back in high school, there was nothing better than King Diamond – “Melissa.” It scared the crap out of me, but I loved it.

Now, take Geoff Tate from Queensryche…he studied operatic voice. He has the ability and could potentially sing opera, but I think he likes a different lifestyle. There is also a band called Candle Mass that has an opera style singer. It’s kind of funny though…this heavy type music with an opera singer front man.
Uncle
Posted on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What are your thoughts on rock operas,Tommy,Jesus Christ Superstar, Godspeed and VH-1's Hip-Hopera! Are they worth of the title of opera ? And what of death metaler King Dimond! His work is always in story form with "chapters" and lots of neo-classical metal. just a pause. love and fishes,Uncle P.S. Wasn't Jam Master Jay in the hip-hopera?
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No worries, Doc.

Have you ever seen Turandot? You said earlier that you went for 6 seasons...Did you hate that as well? Just wondering.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Torty, Nola:

I was out of line and I apologize.
Nolamour
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's speelled Ignance, doc.

Tort, My mom is going to NATS this weekend. She does this sort of thing each year and her students always place in the top 3. Pretty cool, I guess, but since I'm not a teacher I've never attended such a thing. She is also doing The Messiah with the LPO in December...I just found out when it was.

Hey, Chong...we all went to Frankie and Johnnie's tonight. Great as usual.
Traineraz
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, I never knew that opera was so vulgar . . . or that Marc could take a fist . . . especially considering them nails Tort has.
Absinthespoon
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I could care less what you think about ballet or opera, Dr. O. Your opinions are your opinions (however closed-minded they may be). It does not make it GOOD or BAD.

Calling someone ignorant for mispelling is kind of arrogant and anal retentive, don't you think?

Carry on, Tort and Nola. I enjoy reading your exchanges.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Holy FUCKIN visuals!!!!

Why does MY mouth feel dirty???
Marc
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

While I've clearly stated that I think opera sucks, I have to say that Tortainglese is a fine woman and doesn't deserve to be treated so indelicately. I love you tort. Now, down on your knees and wrap your laughing gear around my blue-veined bloodbomber. And while you're at it, knuckle my bunghole.
Drinky_Crow
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

ELO had a song years ago, there was a fat lady singing in the background, and a reference to Puccini. I don't know Opera from Oprah, but I know what I like.

Ice cream koan:

The sound of one tongue lapping.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Fuck it

Torty, a TYPO is when you hit the wrong key. You and Nola actually INSERTED a letter into Leporello. That was not a typo. That was IGNORANCE.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page