Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Paint?

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » Paint? « Previous Next »

Crowlyman
Posted on Saturday, February 1, 2003 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You gots mail.
Artist
Posted on Saturday, February 1, 2003 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Crowleyman,

Email me...I will try (honestly, I dislike trying to have a conversation via email, I am a touchy-feely person who prefers face to face or at least head to telephone...).

a.
Crowlyman
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Artist, would you like to mentor someone via the net? You see, I am trying to teach myself, but have suddenly reached a towering brick wall that I just can't seem to climb over. Just thought I'd ask...
Artist
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Any clairvoyant that can reach Harry Houdini…

actually...

Oil on canvas (like a real artist ).

artist.
Raschied
Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am now working on 3D rendering using a program called Electric Image. Anyone with familiarity?
Gertz
Posted on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 5:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm not too fond of acrylics - I prefer the consistency and look of oil. Gouache on coloured paper is another favourite technique of mine.

Maybe my favourite medium is egg tempera, but I rarely use it, since I have to make it myself. Pure egg tempera with no additional oil cannot be bought in stores.
Traineraz
Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, I'll have a look-see!

D
Thegreenimp
Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

TAZ,
VectorWorks runs on both PC & Macintosh, I use a Mac at work, but run my own copy of VectorWorks 10 / RenderWorks 10 on my home PC, both programs have been cross platform for some time.
I would take a serious look at VectorWorks, and download the trial version or get their evaluation CD.
VectorWorks has all the estimating, and material take off features that you mentioned.
Check it out, the program is extremely easy to use.
Jay
Traineraz
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Impy -

I'm on a PC, not a Mac, thought VectorWorks was for Mac.

Our director is working out a licensing agreement for LandCADD, which is by and large considered the ultimate in landscape architecture CADD . . . it's supposed to do seamless 3D, costing out of a project (even including the plant materials), irrigation design, lighting, etc., and it's AutoCAD compatible (it started as an add-on to AutoCAD, but is now available as a stand-alone).
Crowlyman
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am teaching myself to paint in oils.
Thegreenimp
Posted on Monday, December 9, 2002 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

T.A., You should look into VectorWorks, we use VectorWorks in our design dept.(we do Exhibit and Trade Show design), and find that it is easier to use than "AutoCrap" (our term for AutoCad).....Especially in Archtectural/Landscape environment.
VectorWorks has a nice basic rendering program RenderWorks that runs with VW......for final rendering we use Artlantis.

http://www.nemetschek.net/ for VectorWorks
Traineraz
Posted on Monday, December 9, 2002 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I tried a download trial version of Bryce, but it had no help menus or documentation. I emailed the company, and they said that you get all that when you buy it. They couldn't answer how I was to evaluate a program without knowing how to use it . . .

As for a light table . . . if I don't feel like schlepping everything to school, I just put a lamp under my (glass topped)diningroom table. As an alternative, you could go to most craft stores and find a 2 x 2 sheet of tempered 1/4" glass (or a circle, they have them for tabletops) and support it on something or other. Some white paper or fabric over the top will help diffuse the light.
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, December 9, 2002 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Trainer,

I believe space AND even negative space are quite important in the overall balance of any creative artwork. So, yes.

Very cool...I need a light table. Haven't worked on one of them in years. I may have asked you before, but do you play with Bryce? I tried out Bryce 5 and it's quite fun.
Traineraz
Posted on Monday, December 9, 2002 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

For school (landscape architecture), we get to learn all sorts of techniques, graphite and colored pencil, pen, conte crayon, pastel, marker and watercolor.

Nowadays, I'm about as low-tech as Nola. I "draw" my perspectives by creating a plan in AutoCAD, then importing it into 3D Viz and extruding it into the third dimension. In some cases, I assign materials and print nearly photorealistic jpgs or animated walkthroughs. Sometimes I trace the less-detailed prints on the light table and use them to form the basis for hand-rendered drawings.

I do some "process sketching" when working up an idea, but of course that's not nearly so accurate as the 3D Viz or even using a perspective grid.

Is it creative? The technique is about communicating the design of a space . . . but the design of the space is a creative process.
Nolamour
Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2002 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Started with prisma color (art pencils) and charcoal - Fun but messy.
Then on to watercolors and acylics.
Tried my hand at print making, ie: acid etching and wood cuts - that was a blast.
I even dabbled in some pottery (wet clay)...didn't like it, so back to the acrylics.

Most of my creativity is now in "The Holy Trinity" - Photoshop, Illustrator, and Quark...with Dreamweaver tying it all together.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2002 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

my current medium in anything art related is food (see my profile; occupation)... seriously though when i did (about a million years ago) acrylics and watercolor in that order.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2002 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Liquitex BASICS
they're cheap
like me!
Raschied
Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2002 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone else paint? What do you use as a medium?

I started up again this year after my father passed away (long story - demons from childhood.)

I'm using acrylics on canvas.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page