Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

What's your favorite absinthe and why...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Archive Thru January 2003 » What's your favorite absinthe and why? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through December 28, 2002Optimalsmarts25 12-28-02  4:15 pm
Archive through December 29, 2002Silvenshadow25 12-29-02  1:06 pm
Archive through December 30, 2002Greenmeanie25 12-30-02  7:43 am
Archive through December 30, 2002Drinkslinger25 12-30-02  7:10 pm
Archive through December 31, 2002Chevalier25 12-31-02  7:56 am
Archive through January 04, 2003Petermarc25 1-4-03  5:42 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Louched_Liver
Posted on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I been layed down many, many times.
I've stayed just as funky.
Artemis
Posted on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Kubler? When I first tasted it, I thought it was "woodsy", then I realized it's just funky (in the unwashed armpit sort of way). yech!"

I went through that same progression/realization and a lot of other people have as well. What I once (sort of) praised in old reviews as "woodsy" is nothing more than the funk of tails, a distillation pushed too far. The good news is that, as Peter pointed out, you could get used to that funk if it's not too bad, and it most definitely mellows with time. Someone I trust recently told me that Kubler mellows that way, so if you did have some Kubler and could afford to "lay it down" for a while, it will probably get better. All distilled absinthes (if they aren't WAY f-d up to begin with) improve with age.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Try living in the Keystone state, where the state runs the liquor/wine stores.
For some reason it's not a monopoly if the state owns all the stores.
I_B_Puffin
Posted on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Finding liquor is a pain in the U.S. most place just have lots of the same thing. I couldn't find a quince liquor until Samswine.com started to cary it. I also couldn't find sapin, or any other specialty holiday liquors anywhere. Like the largest local liquor store I go to must have at least 50 varities of vodka, but not one Calvados.
Destiny
Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2003 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree, Petermarc's stories will be very interesting! By the way, right now I'm relaxing with a glass of P68 and even with two sugars (which sweetens the front of the tongue), I'm still picking up the bitterness on the back of the tongue. That said, I like it much better than I remember and I'm rating it ahead of any Spanish (including Segarra) and possibly ahead of La Fee since I don't taste the coloring in P68. Time for a glass of La Fee...

One reason why I can't wait for Jade is because I'm very curious to measure my personal taste against what good absinthe is "supposed" to taste like.
Absinthespoon
Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2003 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

petermarc, I can hardly contain myself waiting for your stories about your experiences as apprentice distiller!
Absinthespoon
Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2003 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

dude, if LDF would sell sapin liqueur my life would be complete...
Petermarc
Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2003 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

not to worry...
Absinthespoon
Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2003 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

petermarc, I would rather have émile sapin as an apéritif and sapin liqueur as a digestif, bien sûr.

I wish I could buy sapin liqueur, but I haven't found a source yet (narbey didn't answer my emails).

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page