Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Survey

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Archive Thru January 2003 » Survey « Previous Next »

Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 999
Posted on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

1. How many times have you tried absinthe?

Hundreds. An average of 1-2 glass per day since 2001.

2. How many glasses do you consume in one sitting? (for the purposes of this survey, a glass consists of 1 oz absinthe with roughly 4 oz water)

Most of the time one or two glass. Sometimes up to 5-6 if it`s at a party, rarely more.

3. Do you regularly experience a "secondary effect" from drinking absinthe? If so, describe it.
Depends of what I`m drinking. Most commercial brands don`t affect me anymore unless I drink a lot too much of it, which I'm not inclined to because of the less than extraordinary taste.

Most of the time I drink the Moonman`s elixir and after one or two glass, as Hob said, I begin to feel "Light headed, a bit floaty, clear thoughts.[...] more 'argumentative and strange' ". I had similar effects when drinking Jade's pre-releases or other very fine LaBleues or home made. After 3 glass it's unmistakable. I also feel it to a lesser extent with Emile blanche.

4. Were the secondary effects of drinking absinthe different the first time you tried it? If so, how?

The first time was Deva, I guess it was mostly caused by anticipation but I sure felt something.

5. Do you regularly imbibe other controlled substances? If so, what?

NO

6. Do you smoke cigarettes regularly?

Less than one cig/day. A pack last me about three weeks. I've been such a light smoker since about 15 years... (I'm now mostly smoking Sampoerna X-tra clove cigarettes).

7. Do you drink caffeinated beverages regularly?

At least a cup of fine coffee in the morning. Occasional cup of tea after supper.

8. Did you use any controlled substances within the year prior to your first glass of absinthe?
No.
Drinkslinger
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I always wake up feeling really crappy after drinking absinthe. I can drink a bottle of wine and not feel like a slug the next day, but 2 or 3 glasses of Absinthe and my stomach feels inside out and my brain feels fried.

It's the same stupid feeling I get after drinking RedBull and vodka...
Verawench
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Too many too count... a dozen brands or so.

2. How many glasses do you consume in one sitting? (for the purposes of this survey, a glass consists of 1 oz absinthe with roughly 4 oz water)

3-4

3. Do you regularly experience a "secondary effect" from drinking absinthe? If so, describe it.

Yes. A pleasant but not uncontrollable sense of euphoria and a clear-headedness. Vivid dreams. A strange sense of startled calm the following morning.

4. Were the secondary effects of drinking absinthe different the first time you tried it? If so, how?

Yes. The excitement of the moment, you see. I mean, it was Mari Mayans for chrissakes.

Regularly? No.

Yes, Turkish Jade Lights

Yes, black coffee and diet coke (not together)
Albertcamus
Posted on Sunday, January 5, 2003 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

1}.I have tried 16 different brands of Absinthe
2}.usualy 3 or 4
3}.yes, I fell more interested in my surroundings and somewhat excited about something, but unsure what it is.
4}.no
5}.yes, ummm
6}.yes, a pack a day.
7}.yes, alot!
8}. hell yes!
Wormwood
Posted on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

1. How many times have you tried absinthe? About 100

2. How many glasses do you consume in one sitting? (for the purposes of this survey, a glass consists of 1 oz absinthe with roughly 4 oz water) 1 to 4

3. Do you regularly experience a "secondary effect" from drinking absinthe? If so, describe it. Wide awake, alert and intoxicated.

4. Were the secondary effects of drinking absinthe different the first time you tried it? If so, how? No

5. Do you regularly imbibe other controlled substances? If so, what? No

6. Do you smoke cigarettes regularly? No

7. Do you drink caffeinated beverages regularly? Yes

8. Did you use any controlled substances within the year prior to your first glass of absinthe? No
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

1. Been drinking absinthe regularly for about 4 years. Generally twice a week.

2. Usually 3 or 4 glasses but if I'm in the mood for getting hammered I'll drink a lot more.

3. Have done so on most ocassions. Light headed, a bit floaty, clear thoughts. Apparantly when I've been drinking absinthe I become more 'argumentative and strange' (I become more me I guess).

4. No. The effects have always been the same so long as I drink a brand that gives me these effects (most do, some don't).

5. Not regularly, but an irregular joint now and then, usually when in the company of regular smokers, 2 or 3 times a month.

6. No. Only sometimes when I'm drunk and usually if I end up in a night-club.

7. I can't see the point of de-caffeinated coffee and tea. I drink a lot of tea and a little coffee, all caffeinated.

8. Yes.
Bjacques
Posted on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

1. 40 or 50, I think
2. 1 or 2
3. Odd and lucid dreams, if I'm still drunk when I go to bed, and no hangover, usually. I had an absinthe tasting party/binge a year ago, and the only secondary effect was projectile vomiting. The tertiary effect was that I stayed off the stuff for about 3 months. I'm all better now.

4. The dreams were more intense. I'd had 2-1/2 Hill's & Sprites.

5. Pot (Dutch weed), about twice a month.

6. No, except shag tobacco to leaven the weed

7. Yes. 3-4 cups coffee every working day

8. Yep.
Qbrick
Posted on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

1. Around 100.

2. 1 to 4 glasses. Rarely another one or two glasses, when there's enough time to enjoy.

3. Just the relaxed freshness some people already described. It just does not feel like drinking spirits or beer in larger quantities.

4. No.

5. No.

6. No (since six years).

7. A pot of black tea in two days. No coffee.

8. No.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

1)Zillions.
2)2-6.
3)Not any more, except after prolonged abstinence.
4)Yes, they kicked ass. Never been as good.
5)Sure.
6)Nope.
7)At least a quart o' joe/day.
8)Oh god yes!
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

1. Probably a few hundred glasses by now
2. 1 to 4 depending on circumstances
3. Yes -- something like that of an Irish coffee but smoother, making me drunk but highly stimulated
4. About the same but heightened by my excitement at finally trying the stuff
5. No (though rumored to smoke OPJs)
6. No
7. At least 2 espressos a day
8. I can't remember.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

1. I'll take the the fifth on that.

2. As many as are available.

3. Never have yet.

4. N/A

5. I'll take a fifth on that.

6. ICK!!!

7. HOLY SHIT! I just bought this stuff called SHOCK!
It's whole bean coffee MADNESS!!!

8. No.
Giovannigray
Posted on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, I'll bite..

1. Been drinking absinthe daily for well over a year now, so.. over 500.

2. One or two. every day.

3. For me secondary effects significantly vary by brand, but generally, yeah, I feel 'em. The actual sensation is hard to describe..elevated awareness, talkativeness without typical alcohol-fueled bravado... Almost like the effects of a mild joint, all of which last for about 20 minutes.

4. There's really no difference between what I felt "the first time" versus now. My first taste of absinthe was La Fee, which for me yielded strong secondary effects and continues to do so.

5. Nope

6. Don't smoke.

7. Two cups of coffee every day. (or the headache sets in)

8. No
Raschied
Posted on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the responses! Keep 'em coming!
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

1. Hundreds.

2. 1-4

3. Yes. My normal mental acuity remains, with the relaxation effect of the booze. This leads me to run my mouth and even in the harsh light of sobriety the next day what comes out is often fucking brilliant.

4. No, quite exactly the same.

5. No. Not for several years now.

6. Yep.

7. There is no blood left in my veins, only Mountain Dew.

8. Yes.

I think you are treeing up the wrong bark. People I know who have always, always just said no get secondary effects.
Brett
Posted on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

1. I'm not sure what you mean. How many times have I tried a new absinthe? Or how frequently do I drink it? In any case, I've tried about 6 different brands, and while I have it I drink it at most once or twice a week, but sometimes its weeks before I drink any.

2. Between 2 and 4, never one and very rarely more than 4.

3. Yes, but I don't think I can accurately describe. Its a nice feeling, even after four glasses, it seems more clear than being drunk. And yes, it does cause me to stare at the walls while inside, my head is just going. I have, at times, had bursts of creativity. I'd prefer being affected by four glasses of a good absinthe than one glass of good rum, and I'll likely feel better in the morning after imbibing in absinthe than anything else.

4. Not really, maybe just more pronounced because it was the first time I tried it.

5. No.

6. Don't smoke at all.

7. Yes, at least one cup of tea a day.

8. No.
Herb
Posted on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

I believe that absinthe has a cleansing effect on the body, and will release other stored chemicals in the cells of the body.

Seems much more likely that either the genuine effect or the expectation thereof triggers a reminiscence of your latest or greatest high. If anything.
Raschied
Posted on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, you guys have probably heard my hypothesis before - now I'm trying to add some anecdotal evidence to back it up.

I believe the so-called "secondary effects" of absinthe are related to the individual drinking it and other drugs he/she may have consumed in the past. I believe that absinthe has a cleansing effect on the body, and will release other stored chemicals in the cells of the body.

If you would like to contribute, either positively or negatively, please e-mail me with answers to the following questions. All names will be kept confidential, however I will post results of the survey, and may include some of the responses. I will keep all such responses anonymous in my posts.

8. Did you use any controlled substances within the year prior to your first glass of absinthe?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page