Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Hoistin' fer Headly...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » The Monkey Hole » Archive Thru January 2003 » Hoistin' fer Headly... « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through December 29, 2002Head_Prosthesis25 12-29-02  7:53 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Louched_Liver
Posted on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And thank you again, sir.
Artemis
Posted on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You're welcome.

If I be so lucky as to encounter more of the 1910 retrolablanche stuff, I'll make sure you get a taste. Don't say I never did nothing for you.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you.
Artemis
Posted on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, this is ex tempore, as I took no notes and Head couldn't be bothered. This is in the tradition we set last Christmas, when Head and I sat in my snow-surrounded cabin in the wilds of Michigan, and polished off 7 or 11 samples of Scandanavian absinthe and two Swiss vintage samples, and the next day couldn't remember what truck hit us. We're nothing if not scientific.

Head and Kallisti, creatures of the highway, rolled up onto my front lawn around dark, just as I finished baking the french bread and getting the seasonings mortared and pestled for Bar-b-que shrimp (not really barbequed, a recipe from the old Pascal's Manale restaurant in NOLA).

Drink? Said I. Yes, said Head. So we sat in the kitchen.

Admin was on some sort of drugs and could not drink. Okay, more for me and Head.

After the beer, which I won't review (but you could do a lot worse than Hacker Pschorr and New Glarus), and after the shrimp and bread, we moved on to the hard liquor.

Most of these samples were kindly furnished by a generous friend, a member of this forum. Some were not:

Larsand (Andorra)
Versinthe La Blanche
Pernod 68 (the new stuff)
Pernod Tarragona (the old stuff)
A modern day recreation of a circa 1910 Swiss La Blanche that has roughly three times the herbs in a typical La Bleue (IOW, about 12) - including Genepi and Angelica seeds. A labor of love for sure.
Two modern recreations of a circa 1910 Pontarlier absinthe. Basic recipe, four herbs for base and three for color. The only difference, coloration much stronger in one than the other (more herbs).

Larsand - has a stink like that of Deva. Tails. But the flavor is quite good. Louche is strong. One could drink this without shame if he couldn't get anything else. I've taken to watering my absinthe only until the clear layer on the top disappears (Ted posted the scientific name for this once upon a time). That's about four to one. It still burns a little at this level, but I find the flavor is best. You can see what's wrong and what's right with it at this level.

Versinthe La Blanche - has that purple Valentine candy hearts thing happening (the little ones that used to come in a box, with cute love sayings written on them). I like it, but I wouldn't want to drink it every week. I don't think it's absinthe.

Pernod 68 - better than I expected. Not sure if it's absinthe. A little licorishy for my taste.

Pernod Tarragona - honey colored from age. Smell like nothing else - only antique stuff smells like this. Has that "baby powder" (Peter's phrase) thing happening that I used to think was due to an ingredient, but I now think is simply an aspect of aging, even with simple, basic ingredients. Powerful yellowish louche. Disappointing flavor. Tails evident. Not the best thing we tasted this night.

Pontarlier 1 - baby powder thing developing after only two months of aging. Simple and profound. Screams wormwood. Puts the fudge hammer on your ass. When you get used to drinking this, it's easy to wonder whether various commercial stuff is "real" or not. When this one puts the monkey grip on the back of your neck, all doubt is gone. Thus, when you develop such a standard of "reality", it's easy to dismiss other stuff.

Pontarlier 2 - same as 1, with a double dose of Pontica for coloration. Smells like you just brought a Christmas tree in the house (not a plastic one, either). Both this one and the No.1 *require* at least half a tab of $100 French Petermarc sugar or you're going to pucker when you swallow. Might not be to everyone's taste, but Admin stole the bottle (just dregs; sorry, next lucky taster) and took it with her to points west, so that's a good sign.

Swiss La Blanche repro - saved it for last for a reason. Watched Headly as he sipped it, and his Fu Manchu mustaches stood up and twirled as his eyes twinkled. All you can say about this is "Two tears in a bucket, Mother Fuck it!". Amazing. The bottle has been washed out three times with water, and the scent is still there. Person who made it asks me last night, "was it okay?" It's so far beyond okay, he doesn't even realize what a master he's becoming. Maybe he'll send me some more. Hint, hint. This is very similar to what I drank in a meeting with Ted about two years back (see Vera Wench's website), but maybe (time destroys memory) better. Michaelangelo never made nothing like this.

The next day, feeling all out-of-body, I bid my friends Admin and Headly adios.

That's it.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bring it on.
Artemis
Posted on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Headly, Admin, and I hoisted a few boissons this past weekend. We polished off that bottle of Belgian Red that was in the picture, moved on to some not quite expired Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest, and did the Pepsi challenge on some various and sundry samples of wormwood apertifs.

Head and Admin are on the road again to parts unknown, but I'll post a short review of the event if anybody is interested.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Great place to chill.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Looks Cool...
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

icebar
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone going to the ICE BAR in Berlin? It's only open for 3 days, so, hurry.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tour Pics from fans...

Free Beer, it's like ants on candy.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

YEAH it is!
2loucheltrec
Posted on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

and it's america's oldest brewery!
Louched_Liver
Posted on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 6:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Best fuckin' beer there is.
Yuengling rules. Even if Heady Pros pissed in the cans when we took the tour.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

arty-your correct, urquell on tap is mucho better, give it one more shot... i had a couple (few?) at rudy's in nyc when i first met louched liver. we have it here at the restaurant in bottles but i'm looking at possibly getting it on tap in the spring. we unfortunatly only have three measly taps so i have to carefully consider what to get... we're currently drawing bass ale, yuengling lager and newcastle brown. also try some rogue buckwheat ale if you have not already... one of my friends has getting me into grolsch lager recently too.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lest I not forget the great
Yingling Brewery...
*cough*
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was also blessed with drinking
Lindeman's straight from the utter
in Seattle with a few fellow FM'ers.

That was BONERLICIOUS!!!
Nolamour
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, Cooter's is on St. Charles and Carrollton. Right on the curve by the Levee. I grew up in the damn joint and I think there are actually more Beers in the house than on the list.

You've probably seen it before in other bars, but they have a game called "Around The World" where you drink all of the beers in the place (in a certain time frame) and you win a t-shirt and a small brass plaque on the wall (what a bargain)…pure extortion from oblivious drunkards.
I did it in high school, but used an alias name for the etched plaque, so nobody knows it was me.
If I recall, Dragon Stout (Jamaica) and Mamba (Africa) were the worst beers on the list...I could barely stomach it.
Artemis
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I never knew there was a hype."

Probably not by Bells; they seem to be low-key. The hype was by people who play beer experts on the Internet, for the most part. Sams', now THERE is some hype by beer company. It stinks almost as bad as Anheuser's ...

"What I did do was visit the brewery several times. Straight from the nipple is the very best."

Can't argue with that. I went to New Glarus, but the brewery was closed. Had to settle for a convenience store across the road.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page