Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through December 28, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Archive Thru January 2003 » What's your favorite absinthe and why? » Archive through December 28, 2002 « Previous Next »

Optimalsmarts
Posted on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I tell you what drinkslinger. I will ship you a bottle and you tell me if it is the real deal. I'll send it monday if you like. I promise you it is the same exact la bleue as betty's (only I will give it to you for 80$) and if you dont think so I will pack my bags. (that is, if you have had bettys and can tell the difference). Unlike other forum members here I can tell the difference between la bleue and others and find it clearly in the top three. 200$/bottle is what i pay for an 85' Rothschild, not absinthe. Comparitively speaking, a 100$ bottle of la bleue is a good deal. OS.
Silvenshadow
Posted on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

drinkslinger - If i were you I'd wait until there are some reviews of OS's La Bleue. La Bleue is a generic term for a type of absinthe produced illegally in switzerland. AFAIK there are many producers, and their absinthes vary. Also since it is a "home-made" sort of absinthe, it can vary from bottle to bottle.
I bought my La Bleue from Bettina specifically because I have read several reviews of her Le Bleue in particular and every one that I have read was a positive review, even those people that didn't like the absinthe said that it was good, just not to their taste.
I don't mean to put down OS, but I think I'll wait until some people with more cash than I try it first.
Traineraz
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Blow?

OS ships with nose candy? Suddenly $50.50 for MM70 sounds much more reasonable!
Drinkslinger
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Start at the top and work your way down huh?
I debated buying 2 bottles of $200 la bleue for my first forray. Then decided to buy 12 bottles of various commercial bottles instead. Now that I've been around the block it's time to up the anti and go for the best. I have to admit that OS prices for La Bleue are the lowest out there. I just hope they have the real thing... IF and when I order from them Ill be sure to relay the blow by blow details to this board :-)
Silvenshadow
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just ordered a bottle of Betina's Suisse La Bleue #1. Scraped up the last of my petty cash to buy it for myself as a birthday gift. I've heard (read) many glowing reviews for it, and I've yet to hear an ill word about it. Seems like a good way to get into the absinthe world. Just picked up a beautiful glass for $5 too. :) It's a bit big though. To fill it using a 3:1 ratio I'd need to do three shots of absinthe at once.... I think I need to get a smaller glass. :)
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've never tried absinthe, but if I had to guess:

Hill's has to be the best, along with the Ulex and Sebor STRONG! (See the Opti-handbook)

I can't stand F. Guy, Oxy, Pernod, and Kubler. Remember this Silven! HURL!!!!
Artemis
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

With apologies to the late great Frank Zappa:

The Muffin Man is seated at the table in the laboratory of the Utility Absinthe Research Kitchen... Reaching for an oversized chrome spoon he gathers an intimate quantity of $100 French sugar crystals and brushing his scapular aside proceeds to pour them down the front of his shirt ...
He turns to us and speaks:

"SOME PEOPLE LIKE GOOD ABSINTHE BETTER. I FOR ONE CARE LESS FOR IT!"

Arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snoot of a fully charged absinthe anointment utensil he poots forths a quarter-ounce green rosette (oh ah yuk yuk... let's try that again...!) He poots forth a quarter-ounce green rosette near the summit of a dense but radiant apertif of his own design.

Later he says:

"SOME PEOPLE... SOME PEOPLE LIKE GOOD ABSINTHE EXCLUSIVELY, WHILE MYSELF, I SAY THERE IS NAUGHT NOR OUGHT THERE BE NOTHING SO EXALTED ON THE FACE OF GOD'S GREY EARTH AS THAT PRINCE OF LIQUORS ... THE TAILS!"

Girl you thought he was a man
But he was a muffin
He hung around till you found
That he didn't know nuthin'

Girl you thought he was a man
But he only was a-puffin'
No cries is heard in the night
As a result of him stuffin'
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And Obviousfarts keeps coming back for more.

Some folks prefer being shat upon to being forgotten.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Optimmy just can't rear his head up here w/out catching some fire.
It's amusing to watch.

Wolfgangbang,
$200/hr, even of those silly Canuck Bucks, for your scrawny, goth ass? Get fo' real.
Drinkslinger
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If I were to give a list of my top 3 commercial brands it would be :
1) Kubler - I know what they say, but I LIKE IT.
2) Segarra - Cheap looking package, but great product
3) F.Guy - It's on everyones' list... usually right after Un Emile 68% :-)

As for my least favorite. Ulex 70%. It's just plain-nasty!
Greenmeanie
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And you are willing to do whaaat....? ;-)
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Who wants to buy my tail ? 200$/hour ;-)
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sometimes I think kubler produce two absinthes.

First they sell a good "La Bleue" and then they sell the tail under the Kubler label ;-) LOL !
Greenmeanie
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe it's me, BUT, since when is there a brand called "Swiss La Bleue"?

Opie?
Artemis
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Peter:

Quote:

the french do not run the distillation to the tails (as is so commonly done by the swiss that the makers of kübler think it is an actual part of the recipe)

Opticalsmarts (on "favorite" absinthe):

Quote:

I would have to say Kubler ...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

''what's your personal favorite''

see profile...
Crosby
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's funny!
Crosby
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Betty?
Greenmeanie
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bettina's??
Optimalsmarts
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would have to say Kubler, N.S. 70, Suisse La Bleue, and then Un Emile. Spiritscorner is by far the best (foreign) supplier. As far as domestic, theres only one place i'd go ! ! !
Greenmeanie
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 5:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yep, let them newbies run free. Just lead 'em a little and then.....BLAM!
Louched_Liver
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Me?
I don't mess wit' newbies, just oldbies. Newbies have a free run here as far as I'm concerned.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 4:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Silven,

Welcome!

Beware and prepare for a newbie ass flaming (LL, get funky)!! Your question is very legit yet very amusing to those that have been here a while. Although "dirty details"!? You want "dirty details" go to the men's room in the Port Authority Bus Terminal at 3 AM, you'll get "dirty details"!

Stick around a while and you'll see that most everyone is pretty decent around here. I'll spare you my vengance ;-) for now.

My favorites are (in no order): Un Emile 68 (aged first), Pernod 68, F. Guy, Kubler.

As to why? Tough question. I ain't no kulturbanause (sarcastic German for sophisticate) but they are what I like. I'm not big into heavy anis flavor.

Best advice I could give you is look at past posts on the forum and go over to the reviews section. Buy as many different brands as your wallet permits. Try as many as you can and then go back to what you like. It took me about 10 different brands befor I settled on what suits me.

The Czech brands are mostly crap. Harsh and hebal.
The Spanish are very heavy on the anis. The French are lighter on the anis as are some of the German. Other German brands make Jaeger Meister taste like a milk shake!

Where to buy? Check the buyers guide. Personally I've dealt with Spirits Corner (SC) and La Fee Verte (aka Markus). Both EXCELLENT.

DO NOT ask questions about packaging and wrapping here!! You will have your ass handed to you after it has had handles put on it, been passed around and been thoroughly corn-holed! Rest assured that SC and Marcus wrap well.

Enjoy the forum and I hope you stick around. It's nice to see some new victims, er, ah, people here. :-)
Drinkslinger
Posted on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think the entire formum agrees. Hills is the best absinthe ever produced! Just ask Optimal smarts (It's so good , even they can't get it)...
Ps. ;-)
Silvenshadow
Posted on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm new to the absinthe world, and I'm interested in hearing what people think about the absinthes that they have tried.

So what's your personal favorite, and why, what does it taste like, what's it look like, I want to know all the dirty details.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page