Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through December 30, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Archive Thru January 2003 » What's your favorite absinthe and why? » Archive through December 30, 2002 « Previous Next »

Greenmeanie
Posted on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've been watching this thread with interest over the past two days. I WAS going to keep my mouth shut BUT I gotta agree with Marc.

SOMEBODY please buy some La Bleue and review it!!

I freely admit it ain't gonna be me. Guess that's why I've been keeping out of the fracas. I will admit that my curiosity has been tweaked but I still have MAJOR reservations.
Celticgent
Posted on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I for one think it's great that there may be a cheaper way to get absinthe in the US. I contacted OS and am going to order some NS when they get it in. (sold out) I will let you all know how long the shipping takes and all that crap. I am new to Absinthe, so I didn't feel like spending a ton of loot. I am also ordering from alandia because they have un emile cheap. I will let you know how they are with shipping as well. I am in no way "in cahoots" with OS, I just don't feel like paying an arm & a dick for shipping using SC or Marcus.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Louchey, they were different. We made erudite comments on the difference at our long lost blacksmith's digs, 'member?

And are they worth a hundred smackers?

Fuck, no. For the experience, yes. For drinks on Saturday... nah.

Get some Frankie Guy.

OS- what in the holy fuck makes you think you can legalize anything at all in the current political era? Joe Mcarthy's ghost has risen and taken possesion of the body politic, and he ain't leavin till he's spewed green puke and broken a few necks.
Optimalsmarts
Posted on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I'd think the bigger difficulty would be to get a license to import alcohol. Without that, it's hard to show a profit and pay your taxes. "

Got it handled brother!!!

OXY-"Optimalsmarts made a frankly laughable asssertion that, given that Chateau Lafite coasts $200 a bottle, his La Bleue at $100 was "comparatively good value". This is like saying a Ford Pinto is comparatively good value at only half the price of a Ferrari Testarossa."

You need to reread my assertation, I hardly compare 85' Rothschild to any absinthe that could ever be made!!!

OXY-"The true wholesale price of macerated absinthes is around $5.00/bottle.BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHHHHHHHHH

We live in the U.S. and we pay $50 to $100 per bottle for absinthes like un emile, F. guy, Segarra, Pernod.........

ALL IM HEARIN IS PEOPLE LIKE YOU SAYIN '$100 IS TOO MUCH WHILE YOU ARE SITTING THERE BUYING 'SAPIN' AT ,HOW MUCH A BOTTLE? FOR WHAT SIZE OF A BOTTLE? JADE IS NOT GOING TO BE $5.00/BOTTLE I ASSURE YOU. I CAN SEE THE JADE THREADS NOW.... OS.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've had a couple o' Betty's Blues, both Wolvie's, Justin's, and I'll be goddamed if I could really tell one from another. They all were simple, very drinkable, and expensive as hell (well not the Wolvie's when they actually showed up, but paying for 10 that the scumbag Andy never sent made them the most expensive of the lot). Would I ever pay $100+ for a LaBleue again? Nope. Now Jade, that's a different thing all together.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Headly sez:

Quote:

Marc. I don't need to get shot in the ass to know I don't like it.

Since when cracker eatin' motherfucker?
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc. I don't need to get
shot in the ass to know I
don't like it.
_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Absinthe is illegal because people are unaware of its exsistence or the fact that it was outlawed at the same time as cocaine and heroin.

Absinthe was banned BEFORE cocaine and heroin. Hell, ALCOHOL was banned before cocaine and heroin, at least on a federal level.
Marc
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

all this bullshit and nobody has yet had a sip of optimalsmarts product.
Doesn't take much to get a rise out of this crowd.
Will somebody please review the product.
Does it really exist?
Destiny
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

OS - as an absinthe salesman, why would you want the ban lifted anyway? Wouldn't that put you out of the business? As an absinthe drinker, I understand - but as a salesman, the economics don't make sense. What am I missing?
I_B_Puffin
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm in total agreement with Oxyegenee on this. The only beverages I've ever payed $100 or more for are all well aged, and the best of their kind. I'm not going to spend $100 on what is basically a cheap liquor, just because it doesn't have a effecient distribution network.
Oxygenee
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Artemis.

Optimalsmarts made a frankly laughable asssertion that, given that Chateau Lafite coasts $200 a bottle, his La Bleue at $100 was "comparatively good value". This is like saying a Ford Pinto is comparatively good value at only half the price of a Ferrari Testarossa. I offered a light hearted and gently mocking response. If anyone thinks that was a flame, they haven't been around the internet long, and they certainly weren't here when Don, of blessed memory, was posting.

The true wholesale price of macerated absinthes is around $5.00/bottle. A macerated absinthe, equivalent in quality to the new Pernod 68, made here in SA, is sold into the trade at around $4.80 (it's available retail here for $7). An ordinary distilled absinthe like La Bleue should be worth perhaps twice this, and a super premium one perhaps twice as much again, or about $20/bottle. I don't know of any UNAGED spirit, including the most sophisticated herbal liqueurs and ultra premium gins, that commands a WHOLESALE price, net of taxes, higher than this. After taxes (high in some countries), and retail markups, these should translate into maximum prices of around $10 - $15 for macerated, $20 - $25 for distilled products like La Bleue, and $40 - $50 for super premium absinthes.

Of course current prices are generally higher - but as the market matures and absinthe becomes just another herbal spirit, as it is rapidly doing, this is the level things will end up at.

La Bleue is expensive because there are no formal distribution chanels, and because alternative distilled absinthes are not widely available. When this changes, as it will, the price will fall dramatically.
Crosby
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

So Optional Smarts,

What you're saying is that you and your attorneys will find a loop hole and overturn the ban. I'd think the bigger difficulty would be to get a license to import alcohol. Without that, it's hard to show a profit and pay your taxes.
Artemis
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just kept walking when a crack dealer mumbled some shit at me.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Did you go and kill a thread Arty?
Artemis
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cue the crickets ...
Artemis
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

On the other hand, idiots endangering themselves and others by shilling for absinthe resselling in the U.S. on this forum come and go. Their credibility is about like that of the crack dealer on the corner.

And I have the same response to the semi-coherent attempts to get my attention that either of them might make from time to time.
Optimalsmarts
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

How IS your crack dealer Artemis??
Optimalsmarts
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

2louche, I appreciate the concern for my finances and my freedom! ! ! Although I agree with the flash of random solicitation of absinthe being harmful to its camouflage, I am in field with a lawyer and several friends of that nature to find some type of break or hole in the system. The U.S. gov. is not someone you want to mess with but fortunately this is not Red China and we can do something about it.

Many people will read what I just wrote and think very negative thoughts of bringing any attention to this problem. I say fuck that, get your shit together and hit hard with something thats real and make them open their eyes. Its been tried before with many things and has failed and has triumphed in different situations. Absinthe will be legal in america within 2 years.

EBAY-SCHMEEEBAY, what does this almighty forum have that ebay does not. I have family that does just that in Europe, they hunt down little steroid rings and opium poppy rings on the internet. They know your here! ! I dont think selling a bottle of unopened absinthe on ebay holds as much water as all of the gossip that goes on around here. Look at our exiled friend in Arizona, she lives 3.5 hrs from me. I could drive right up to her door and bust in there like Elliot Ness, yet nothing happens.

I'm just saying, many people are happy with ordering their little gothic drink overseas while embracing its darkness and mystery. Absinthe is illegal because people are unaware of its exsistence or the fact that it was outlawed at the same time as cocaine and heroin. My next door neighbor smokes weed all day and has a little white card with a green leaf and his picture on it that lets him do it. Your telling me that I cant purchase absinthe in my own country??? Two years I tell ya, two years. OS.
Artemis
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Why, Head... Was that meant to be a troll?"

You have to ask? You haven't been around here long, have you?

For others who haven't been around long, Oxygenee is one of the foremost collectors of absinthe in the world, somewhat of an authority on it, and has no ax to grind of which I'm aware. He's been in this forum a long time, and he seldom "picks on" anyone, and never on anyone who doesn't deserve it.

On the other hand, idiots endangering themselves and others by shilling for absinthe resselling in the U.S. on this forum come and go. Their credibility is about like that of the crack dealer on the corner.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

heeheehee... troll...
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
2loucheltrec
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

opti- just so you know your profit margin is the difference between your p.o.p. (point of purchase) and your p.o.s. (point of sale). for every bottle you give away or sell just above cost severly cuts into YOUR profit ... at that point the only people really profiting are your supplier and the customer (not that i'd complain).if you can't make enough money to buy more why do it? i do still have 1/3 of a litre of one of betty's le bleues (ask louched liver), i shared with him in new york, he shared his wolvies le bleue... both of which i thought were good but because of it's price (betty's) it's relegated to special occasions. so if your (+ betty's) supplies come from the same quality source (fabien?) some of us here may be able to vouch for the quality of your product. i do agree whole heartedly about the selling of absinthe on ebay as being not a wise marketing strategy. glasses, spoons, books, saucers, even EMPTY bottles are one thing, full unopened bottles of absinthe on ebay for millions of people to look at is risky at best (brings unwanted attention). don't delude yourself OS and think that the gov't doesn't pay attention to what's going on, they may well be giving you enough rope to hang yourself.
Silvenshadow
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Why, Head... Was that meant to be a troll? You sly dog you.

*light applause*
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What a happy little marriage.
Silvenshadow
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey OS, I know of a way to get people to taste your product that doesn't involve giving free bottles to everyone. Make an offer to sell shots, or double shots. Take your $100 bottle. Offer 3oz double shots (89ml). That means you can get 11 double-shots from your bottle. $100/11 = $9 per double-shot.
Two drinks should be enough to tell if your absinthe is good or swill. You'll make the same profit off the bottle, and including shipping it should cost your customers about $22.
Granted $11 a shot is pricy, but $100 a bottle is not.
I'd be willing to risk $20 to see if I want to take advantage of a %50 discount.
What do you think?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page