Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through January 04, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Archive Thru January 2003 » What's your favorite absinthe and why? » Archive through January 04, 2003 « Previous Next »

Petermarc
Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2003 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

absinthespoon, would you rather have émile sapin or sapin liqueur?
Absinthespoon
Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2003 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with Destiny that a little Oxygenée freshens up a glass of Emile 68°. I occasionally mix like 2/3 Emile to 1/3 Oxy. I know that some forumites are so adamantely opposed to Oxy, that it's not absinthe, etc, but I really like the taste.

I really can't stomach any of the Spanish stuff anymore, except a little Serpis now and then.

Kubler? When I first tasted it, I thought it was "woodsy", then I realized it's just funky (in the unwashed armpit sort of way). yech!
Zman7
Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2003 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

FWIW, Pernod 68 is greatly improved by using two sugar cubes, IMHO.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2003 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Destiny,

I'm a big sugar fan (2 small or 1 large) so that might be why I am missing the bitterness. Usually the first time I try an absinthe I go w/o sugar and after that it's sugar all the way. So it's been a while since I've had it sugarless. I guess I gotta go back and try it un-sugared.

When I think bitter, I usually equate it to Ulex or Sebor or some other un-godly turpentine!
Destiny
Posted on Friday, January 3, 2003 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

To answer the original question of this thread, my boisson de choix is wolvie's green or blanche (which I have 2/3 bottle remaining of each). I had a glass of each last night and they are so very tasty!

My vote for commercially available would be Emile 68 and Oxygenee mixed somewhere in the 1:1 or 2:1 area. I think the Oxygenee adds a little extra personality to the E68 and the E68 adds credibility to the Oxygenee.
Giovannigray
Posted on Friday, January 3, 2003 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pernod 68 definitely has one of the more bitter finishes, but it certainly doesn't approach the more caustic flavor of say, Ulex or Tabu 73.. It still, after having tasted over 25 varieties of absinthe, reminds me of a cross between La Fee and Sebor, if that's possible.
Destiny
Posted on Friday, January 3, 2003 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Greenmeanie -

Yup, I do find the P68 bitter. I've had it from a couple of different bottles and I use distilled water and ice so I know that the water is good. I'm not saying P68 is bad, just one of the brands that needs enough sugar. (I think that Petermarc once mentioned that some French tasting board also found it bitter - or maybe it was the pepper finish in Oxygenee?) Anyhoo, I haven't had any in a while, so I'll pour a couple of glasses tonight and check again.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Friday, January 3, 2003 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Destiny,

Pernod 68 bitter? I'm just a little surprised by your comment. I've never heard it refered to as bitter. How many times have you tried it? I've had it from 3 separate bottles over 6 months and no problem. Could you have had bitter water? FWIW, I usually use 2 cubes as a matter of routine. Then again, I regard sugar as a food group along with chocolate!!
Nolan
Posted on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

own, not on. What the hell, I never could spell shit. Even with two oh's
Nolan
Posted on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

While I would agree that most people may indeed prefer the higher alcohol versions to the lower,
The same can't be said for myself. I tend to prefer the lower alcohol versions. But Emile 68 is quite good and so is the Pernod 68 new version.
I like the new pernod and think it has been a little harshly judged. Others will disagree and that is o.k. You see, in the long run, only ones on personal preferences should be the deciding factor in what one chooses to drink.
Destiny
Posted on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Celticgent -

What I meant was, within the same brand, the higher alcohol version is often considered "better"; but it's all about prsonal taste, anyway - Segarra is well made but I don't care for the brandy taste at all; I really like Oxygenee's flavor even thought there is debate about it being "real", La Fee is good but I can taste a strong something in the aftertaste that I believe to be the food coloring; Pernod 68 is VERY bitter (2 sugars please!); Un Emile 68 is very good but I find the alcohol a bit "sharp". Of course, others would disagree with my tastes/opinions, but that makes for lively discussions.

Enjoy your choices and start saving for your next order... you're gonna want to try them all!
Celticgent
Posted on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I just ordered Kubler 45% and La Blanche (as well as a Mata Hari set for my friend who paid half the shipping...I told him to read the reviews and comments on here, but he wanted it anyways...)Hopefully I'll like the donkey piss, Wolfgang. :) Next I'll try the NS70, and maybe the un emile or guy when my finances allow. I'll let you know how long it takes to get to me. Thanks to everybody who added their 2 cents!
Greenmeanie
Posted on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Celticgent,

I don't know if most here dislike Pernod 68. Personally I like it. IMHO, it is not so heavy on the anis as some are. It is one of my favorite mass produced.

In no order: Un Emile 68, Pernod 68, F. Guy, Kubler.

I still want to try La Fee. The Spanish are a bit heavy on the anis for me but I am still debating trying Segarra. That is the only major Spanish that I have not yet tried.
Bjacques
Posted on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like absinthe, but don't go too far out of my way to get it. I don't trust the newly privatized Dutch post to entrust mail-order absinthe to it. The options in Amsterdam are limited to Neto Costa, Hapsburg and a slew of fake French ones at a tourist shop. London has a slightly better selection.

So compared to the rest, I prefer La Fee; it's smoother and tastier, and it louches, which is great for showing off to friends.

I've got a friend who swears by Hill's, while the rest of the civilized world swears *at* it; de gustibus etc.
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

..and I like The Glenlivet too ;-)
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

For a good butterscotchy flavor, go for Segarra. In this case, this unusual taste comes from barrel aging. Kubler is just a bad overdone bottled donkey piss. Of course, some people like donkey piss... whatever.
Celticgent
Posted on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Destiny, you have me confused. Guy is 45% and Oxy is 55%. If they are so good, wouldn't an Un Emile or a Kubler be just as good at 45%? (I have tried La Fee...I found it to be just ok...) I have read almost ALL of the posts on here(including the archives) and done more research than most newbies. I have come to the conclusion that Un Emile and Guy are the favorites, and Kubler doesn't have many naysayers(except for the burnt butterscotchy flavor, which I think I'd actually enjoy). Opinions vary on Oxy, and although I was thinking about buying Pernod 68, most people on here think it's crap. It's quite difficult to pick one or two bottles just from listening to all of you, because opinions vary so much. If I had more money to waste I would just buy 5 or 6 brands. Since I don't have that luxury, I have to pick a couple that I think would be a good match for me as well as being affordable. I wish I picked a less expensive hobby :)

Nolan,
http://www.alandia.de/
Nolan
Posted on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What/who is alandia?
Destiny
Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Celticgent -

I think that the higher alcohol versions taste better (except for Deva.) If you're on a modest budget, you're already spending too much for a couple bottles of liquor so you might as well do it right! NS70 is okay but nothing special (I use it mainly to dilute Segarra's funky flavor!) Why not try Oxygenee, F.Guy or even La Fee?

Just my two cents.
Celticgent
Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think I'm going to order the kubler 45% instead of the un emile 45%. It's only $5 more for a full liter, and I think I might like the kubler better. Maybe i'll order the flask from absintheonline and compare which i like better. When I contacted alandia, they said shipping would take 10-14 days, so that's pretty good for $30. Damn it sucks to be poooooor! I would love to be able to try a bunch of different brands, but I guess it will happen in time. I would just order both the the un emile and the kubler, but OS is giving me a deal on the NS ( when they get it in stock- should be soon they said).
Drinkslinger
Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You're right they don't have the 45%. Sorry. Only $30 for shipping? That sounds pretty good.

I have to say that the only time I've recieved broken bottles was when I tried to skimp on the shipping and had the package sent economy. I guess more time in transit=more likelyhood of breakage.
Celticgent
Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i decided to buy a couple of bottles and go halves with a friend on shipping. since alandia has un emile at $44, 2 bottles would be $88 plus $30 shipping= $118 ($59 per bottle)

http://www.absintheonline.com/ charges $160 for 2 bottles. ($80 per bottle)

This was before Peter told me about the 45% instead of 68%. Now I am unsure what to do. My question is: is the 45% worth the $59 a bottle, or should I just bite the bullet and pay $21 more per bottle? Is it THAT big of a difference?

(by the way, i don't see 45% on http://www.absintheonline.com/, Drinkslinger...)
Drinkslinger
Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You can get the Emile 45 and 68% from this site. The prices include shipping. http://www.absintheonline.com/

I like the Kubler 45%... and yes I'd rather spend $50 on one bottle of Kubler than $50 on two bottles of Deva.

Make sure you compare shipping prices when deciding which vendor to purchase through. Also consider their packaging, reputation, and policies on breakage or seizure.
Celticgent
Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Peter, thanks for that info. is the un emile 45 good? is it worth the $44? how about the kubler 45? (is it close to the stronger version?) I really want to try kubler, but it's very expensive, and the 45 is seems more prevalent than its stronger brother.
Petermarc
Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

quite

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page