Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Awake...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » The Monkey Hole » Archive Thru January 2003 » Awake... « Previous Next »

Crosby
Posted on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It is a cool bar. The brown sludge they make doesn't smell, taste or look like absinthe. Also, the bottles they have behind the bar are for show only.
Bjacques
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mr. Nemo, you're very welcome! Look me up when you come to town. The Absinthe Bar is a good bar if you don't actually buy their absinthe, which is actually a)fake and b)homebrew, but c)costs about 8 euros a glass!!. When it opened about 3 years ago, the local papers made a big deal about how absinthe has been illegal in NL since WW1. Now that it's legal to sell some brands here, what's their excuse? But last I checked they still had the Gaudi-influenced interior of their predecessor, Abraxas Down Under.

You'll really like the Devil's Ball.
Mr_Nemo
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bjacques, thanks to you, the tapes are now on their way, and I am very pleased. I was going to offer to buy you a drink (even a nice green one) but then I saw by your profile that you live by the flowing Amstel. Hopefully I will be back in Dam Square someday, but for now my heartfelt thanks. Actually, I have a quick question about your metropolis. The last time I was there, about two years ago, I noticed a place called Bar Absinthe not far from the Square. Good place, or just a place with a good name?

Artemis, LL, thank for your opinions on Jade. Until another open tasting, public event, or until I discover the green fairy herself, I will make due with the grand descriptions on the forum, and wait until it is available publicly.

**walks to the back of a very long wait line, while taking note of the people ahead of him with tents, rations, and plenty of year long supplies** :)
Zman7
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Artemis,
But the real question is...are they better than Hills?
Bjacques
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005B6XP/002-9023366-3052821

Here ya go Sen~or Nemo!
Louched_Liver
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jade tastes real, real good.
Artemis
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nemo, "Jade" is pretty much what those articles quoted (apparently from Thailand) say it is, a project to recreate period absinthe that is planned to go commercial eventually. As noted, lots of people have tasted the stuff at various events associated with the promotion of said project, and it has drawn rave reviews.

There are people apart from the Jade project (outside the U.S. of course) attempting such recreations as well, but few of them seem to have commercial aspirations. Still, members of the "general public" encounter their products at private gatherings and such from time to time.

Descriptions of all of these drinks have been posted here; don't know if there are any archives. Suffice to say these products are far and away the best absinthe in the world today apart from antique stuff that has survived, and in my opinion, most of them are better than the antique stuff as well.
Mr_Nemo
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Being relatively new, I have never tried the fabled Jade, nor any of the small batches of artisan-created drink outside of La Bleue. Can anyone give me a description to go by? Hopefully, I will have the opportunity to try it someday.

As for Cirque du Soleil, I am a longtime fan. They do amazing things, and equally as important they are able to conjure up a dream-like experience on stage. The last time I saw them, it was in Las Vegas and I was lucky enough to go see a performance of "o." The integration of water into their performance was thoroughly amazing. They will be adding another show there this summer and I can't wait to go see the spectacle. :)
Artemis
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's Don's website, unless it's changed hands. It's old news. It's been thoroughly discussed here by Don and many other people.

As for the human "cat" on the shoulders deal, that sort of thing is common in the Cirque de Soleil. It's easy to think it's a circus of Vampires a la "Interview with the Vampire" in Paris, because human beings shouldn't be able to do those things.
Nolamour
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Um...Well...Uh...OK

http://www.chateaujade.com
Gasspectro
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

A google search for "Jade absinthe" also reveals
from http://bkktonite.com/cgi-bin/forum/printpage.cgi?forum=22&topic=81

It sez.....The Thais never heard of absinthe but there is a liquor monopoly here so we are setting up our distillery in Vientiene, Laos, 17 Km from Nong Khai, Thailand. My partner, a microbiologist from New Orleans, spent 8 years studying antique premium absinthes such as Pernod, Berger etc. and found among other things that modern absinthes as made today in Spain, Portugal, France, Brazil and especially the Czech Republic are nothing like the originals. So we set out to duplicate the best of the 19th century labels and processes and have succeeded in making absinthes superior in every way to the modern brands. And I'm in charge of production. We expect to make c.35,000 to 70,000 liters a year of 136 to 142 proof absinthes under at least four labels, each a variation of the main theme.

The stuf sells for c.$75 US for a 750 ml bottle. But, you don't drink it straight (too strong) you water it down 4 or 5 to 1 part absinthe, it turns cloudy, beautifully opalescent like ouzo, and you drink it that way, maybe with a little sugar. So one bottle goes a long way, indeed.

Also from the same site:
The comparison to cask strength malt whiskey is apt in the sense you used it but there it stops. Absinthe isn't a fermented product; we buy high grade grape spirits and mix with herbs, water and nothing else, steep for a while and then distill, the final step being some more herbs for finishing flavors and this final operation is highly tricky. It also imparts the characteristic green color.

Inferior products are mixed from herbal oils and get their color from dyes. Yuck! They missed the point.

We do it the hard way.

Anyway I will probably run off some small batches soon and maybe can arrange a tasting for anyone who is so inclined. Maybe at a roundtable.

We've had many tastings in USA, UK, and Europe and the results have been extremely favorable.

Also from same site:
What we do is artisnal, less than 100 L a day, involves no fermentation, but does involve distillation under highly specific conditions. The closest thing to absinthe making is gin making, although there are differences both in the herbs used and in the process.

These are posted by a chap named "chateaujade" who I would presume to be Don.
Alphasoixante
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

yipes. don goes by the name "sauron" on that site. one absinthe to rule them all...
Raschied
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Vera,

Doing a search on "Jade absinthe" on Google gave me this section of a conversation:

"Our own product, several labels of JADE absinthe, will be on the market in 2003 and is the first truly authentic Belle Epoque premium absinthe to be marketed since 1915. Our company, Surayoke (which means Jade Liqueurs) Co.,Ltd. was set up 2.5 years ago to do this, but, we can't do so in Thailand due to the lingering liquor monopoly. So we must go elsewhere. "

This was posted recently - November 20th - by (I'm guessing) Don.

In any event, the link to the full posting is:

http://bkktonite.com/cgi-bin/forum/topic.cgi?forum=6&topic=461

Cheers!
Mr_Nemo
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Where on Amazon (which one US, UK...) did you find the VHS tapes? I checked the US and couldn't find a thing under VHS. I love this book! Please, when you get a chance tell me where I can find it.

On a side note, there was a production done in Chicago at the Steppenwolf theater some years ago, and it was fantastic. The gentleman who played Behemoth was incredible. He was an actor and a gymnast. At one point, while delivering a short monologue he jumped up onto another actors shoulders and perched there like only a cat should have been able to do. It was uncanny and drew you in to the otherworldly nature of the character, after all you don't see a human sized cat in Moscow that often.

Nemo
Bjacques
Posted on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 5:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually, the talking cat (Behemoth) looks a lot like the Beast from La Belle et la Be^te, a little ragged, but if you came face to face with him, you wouldn't sleep for a week. But he'd probably appreciate caviar and a good skrutch behind the ears. I only saw a few Sabrina episodes, so I don't really remember the cat.

My retired father is learning Russian, and the teacher is actually Polish. He told my dad the actor playing Woland was perfect for the role, having been in political trouble and then semi-rehabilitated. Since Bulgakov borrowed heavily from Goethe's "Faust," that actor makes the ideal Woland / Mephistopheles.

Bulgakov was also scrupulous in playing Woland's demon posse according to their respective classical attributes, so Azazello (Azazael) has to be the one to give Margarita the magic skin cream (he's more or less the demon of women's vanity). That's infernal bureaucracy for you. Hella doesn't have much to do but look pretty and leer a lot, but the actress makes the most of the role.

And the infernal ball scene is fantastic.

I'd gotten the videos from Amazon because I was really impressed with the book, and I wasn't disappointed. The tape quality isn't fantastic, being 14-year old eastern bloc tape, but it's adequate, and well worth the 70 bux (from Amazon) if you're feeling rich. I wish it would come out on DVD, though.
Traineraz
Posted on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chev, I prefer the adult version, "Sabrina's Teenage Itch."
Verawench
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

But getting back to the "J" topic, why is it that when a question about Jade is raised one is immediately notified via a scathing email by one helpful "stranger" or another that the entire enterprise is a sham doomed from the start by those who spawned it?

I say it again, people: it's just booze.
Verawench
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I saw the miniseries in my early, early childhood. They had the perfect actor play Woland...
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

A Polish miniseries (with English subtitles) of a Russian novel. That's got to be interesting. Does the talking cat look like something out of "Sabrina, the Teenage Witch?"
Bjacques
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

'llo! If yer Polish isn't too rusty, check out the 1988 Polish TV miniseries (w/English subtitles) of the wacky and beautiful "The Master and Margarita."

Mediocre brands of absinthe are available in Asmterdam and I, Claudius is available on DVD.

Slow news week...
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hiya Wenchy.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

only the shadow knows! hahahahaha!
Verawench
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What happened to Jade? Hmm? Did someone "put a cork in it"?
Greenmeanie
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Vera,

Opti? Newbie trying to get into sales. Yet to be proven. Let's see if there are any takers.

ALTHOUGH, LL did a kickass review of optimmy's (freebee to LL) La Bleue.
Verawench
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Back to lurkin'!

Ah, but I kid. How is everyone? Who is this new OpticalFarts character?
2loucheltrec
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

now i'm smirkin'...
Traineraz
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I usually like jerkin the gherkin after I empty a firkin.
Nolamour
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You guys are Ferkin silly.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Now yer workin'!
Traineraz
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

and git ta the jerkin?
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And grab my gherkin.
Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, quit lurkin' and smirkin' and put on that merkin.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, quit lurkin' and smirkin' and start postin' some shit.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Do you have anything to say, Voyeurwench? ;-)
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome, wench.
Aion
Posted on Tuesday, January 7, 2003 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oooh, she is back, our lovely wench is back.
Now this is going to be a good year!

A.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Tuesday, January 7, 2003 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

did you ever notice every time an ancient awakes they're always terribly thirsty?
Thegreenimp
Posted on Tuesday, January 7, 2003 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome back Wayward Wench.
Verawench
Posted on Tuesday, January 7, 2003 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

..and VERY thirsty.

What's happening, boys?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page