Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Absinthe related death

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Archive Thru January 2003 » Absinthe related death « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through January 08, 2003Greenmeanie25 1-8-03  8:53 pm
Archive through January 12, 2003Destiny25 1-12-03  1:31 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Bjacques
Posted on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually, the US supreme Court ruled the opposite. If no crime was committed in the production of it, it's no crime to possess it.

In the UK, I guess fans of Shumji and Suicide Girl are out of luck.

In the Netherlands, it's 16 to buy cigarettes or beer, 18 to buy spirits or enter a coffeeshop.

Regarding that 1980s bit of federal blackmail (when Elizabeth Dole was Transportation Secretary), Louisiana deserves credit for holding out the longest.

I think Nicole dumped Tom because she didn't want the kids being raised Scientologist. I wonder if "Miracles for Breakfast" is still in print?
Destiny
Posted on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

19 for cigarettes in BC? It's 18 in the U.S. (at least in California). Where do these arbitrary ages come from?

Here's something I found:

www.ageofconsent.com
Brett
Posted on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Canada:

16 to drive, but you have restrictions for at least 21 months, meaning if you get your license at 16, you will be at least 17 before you have an "unrestricted license".

18 to vote.

14 for consentual sex unless the other party is over 18 (I believe that is the only condition -no matter their position with regards to the under 18 party, if one is 14 and the other 20 it is illegal).

In B.C. at least, 19 to purchase alcohol and cigarettes. 18 for alcohol in Alberta. I'm not sure about the other provinces, but it is probably 19.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think allowing sex at 16 is fairly progressive... in my state it's legal at 16, unless the other party is both over 18 and in a 'position of authority' with regard to the minor (e.g. teacher, minister, counselor, etc.).
It acknowledges that yes, people do have sexual feelings at that age (I know I did) and can responsibly choose to have sex.

However, conviction for sexual assault is much easier if the alleged victim is that age... essentially all they have to do is testify that they didn't consent.

Of course, anyone in their 20s or older who has sex with someone under 18 should be asking themself some tough questions, such as, why can't I relate to people my age?
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I believe 21 is the drinking age now in all U.S. states, due to a piece of legal blackmail: Congress passed a bill in 1984 to reduce Federal highway funds to states that do not raise their drinking age to 21. Most states are not in a position to turn down free money like that, so they rolled over and took it.

There are exceptions. Notably, people under 21 can drink at home in the company of their parents or guardians (and I damn well hope anyone expected to go fight in Iraq will get a drink or two before they go, their beliefs allowing).

Also, "private clubs and establishments" are said to be exempt in some states... but I couldn't cite any examples of this.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page