Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

My Sapin arrived....

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Archive Thru January 2003 » My Sapin arrived.... « Previous Next »

Thegreenimp
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It Just brings a new definition to "BiLingual"
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

T,

If I might, I'll pull a term
from the old Book of Woofisms...

It makes you "anti-biatistical".
Traineraz
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

[PAGING NICOLE KIDMAN]
Traineraz
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, Brett -

If sucking dick makes a man gay, then if I eat pussy, does that make me straight?
Drinkslinger
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Damn! Uncle Dave promised not to show anyone. Mom's gonna' be pissed!

I don't think customs could give a rat's ass about a fountain.
Brett
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, from what's been spreading 'round the net, "just one" is a funny way of putting it DS. But if that's really the way you feel, I can forget the video, and pretend I just saw the pictures.

I'm really tempted to order a fountain, and I see that now SC carries them, though I'm sure Markus would ship something like that to Canada.
Drinkslinger
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Suck one dick and you're labeled gay for life...:-)

OK... I guess I'll have to order a fountain.
Brett
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

DS, free basing and not admitting addiction is like sucking dick and saying you're not gay. With crack or gay love, its not how you go about it, its just that you're doing it.
Crosby
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you can find one of this type of carafe, it's very nice for making an absinthe.

carafe00
Drinkslinger
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi... My name is DrinkSlinger.... I'm an Absinthe addict... it's been 3 minutes since my last drink!

:-)
Giovannigray
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have the small one from Markus, which I love.. It's no big deal , but it adds just the right amount of ceremony to the absinthe ritual.
Crosby
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The first step is admitting your addiction:-).
If you want a fountain, buy one.
Drinkslinger
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've debated buying a fountain, but I'm the only one I know that ever drinks absinthe.

I feel if I buy a fountain it's an admission of my addiction.. sort of like owning a crack pipe. It's ok to own aluminum foil and a pen... but nothing more!
Brett
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm using a carafe. Too broke for a fountain.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I originally tried it with water that had ice cubes in it. Maybe I did not let it drip slow enough.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Funny, I have never had this happen with an absinthe, except Sebor (because it's Sebor). But I've been too broke to try the Sapin yet.

Un Emile 68 louched just fine for me with cold water -- of course, the louche is subtle and transparent. It doesn't give you a thick white louche because it doesn't have star anise. But I didn't notice stirring to affect the louche in any way. Brett, are you using a fountain or a carafe?
Brett
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I tried a very slow drip and it did seem to louche better; however I also stirred it to mix the sugar a bit. So maybe I'll try not stiring it next time.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cold water and slow drops doth a louche make. However, the louche seems to go bye-bye when (or if) you stir it afterward with your absinthe spoon. Of course, you don't have to stir if you don't want to.
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It does louche but you have to use very cold water (with ice cubes) and go drop by drop. I always use a little sugar cube with it, maybe that helps.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Brett,

I just got my Sapin. No louche (BFD, IMHO) just a bit cloudy. LOVE it though!
Crosby
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Brett,

Another source for F. Guy is:

www.absint-shop.com

I've dealt with them a few times and the service was good. Then again, I don't live in Canada.
Artemis
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I haven't seen the Sapin, so I don't know, but some absinthe doesn't louche no matter how you water it. Doesn't mean it's not good, just that it doesn't have a lot of what creates louche in it. Old technical texts tell the distiller that if louche is important to him, to increase essential oil content (anise oil is most responsible for the louche) or to add various crap that people really shouldn't be drinking. At least you know it doesn't have the latter crap in it!
Brett
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I try dripping it in slower next time. The second glass I had I did a little slower, and it did seem a little different.
Swarez
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Had one package returned to Markus last time I ordered due to insufficient address, but we worked out a deal to send again with priority mail for economy costs -- received package safe and sound in 11 days (normally takes all of 20 days with economy).
By the way, Markus is now offering Un Emile 45 on their German section (although Hugonet has been d/c'd)! Just ordered for the first time from SC and hoping for the best there!
Greenmeanie
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mercy Beucups Trainer!
Artemis
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

How you add the water makes all the difference to the clouding effect, and to the flavor of the drink for that matter.

Products that don't cloud at all if you pour the water into the glass will sometimes cloud nicely if you drip it slowly in small drops. And taste better.

With that said, authentic products don't necessarily have a heavy "louche". That Sapin is probably looking exactly as it's supposed to look.
Traineraz
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oranjeboom = imported beer. Cheap. 16 oz cans,$4.50 for a 6-pack at Trade Yer Hoe's.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Slower the better. As in takes forever. But, like the G-ray says, it's worth every extra minute.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Trainer,

Oranjeboom?
Giovannigray
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Brett, the louche that Emile Sapin produces is less thick, as you note, than those products containing star anise. I wouldn't call it almost non-existent, though. As with regular Emile, the taste of the product and thickness of the louche both improve if you drop water in the absinthe ve-e-e-ry slowly. Try it.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Teezy sez:

Quote:

OK, I'm ranting. Too much Emile and Oranjeboom.

Bringin' friends home from the club again?
Brett
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is it just mine, or is the louche on the Sapin almost non-existant (I know I know, no star anise). Mine clouds up a bit, but is still quite transparent. Don't got me wrong, the taste is excellent but I had always been under the impression that there was more of a louche to it.

Looking at the website, the louche looks a little more opaque, but that could be due to the background used, as at the bottom portion of the glass it is quite thin.

The flavour, however, is something else. Its like the best elements of F. Guy and Oxygenee. Very nice and smooth; I'll have to order the regular sometime.

As for the P'tit Bleu pastis, it is much darker than expected. Straight, the color is a deep sapphire blue. When it louces, it slowly clouds up at the top, leaving the bottom the same sapphire blue until the cloud slowly envelopes the whole thing, and it becomes a milky, almost pastel blue. It tastes nice, its sweet but not overwhelming like Pernod and the anise is there but no overpowering. I think it could have done w/o sugar, but that's the way I do it.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

SC say they will be carrying it, but that hasn't happened yet.
Brett
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well , that's new. He did warn me in his e-mail, and I told him to go ahead anyway, its worth a try.

So he did ship, but its too soon to tell. Its only been about 4-5 business days. I fully expect it to be seized, so if it does arrive it will be a nice surprise.

Guess if won't ship anymore, I'll have to find another source for F. Guy.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

i hate to be the bringer of bad news but all you canadian types apparently will not have absinthe shipped from markus, at least according to his website. when you click on international you'll see all the flags to all the places he ships to, look at the canadian flag closely... now move your cursor over it... nice message! go ahead try it!
Amindwalker
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I ordered the "set of French Absinthe" from SC about 8 months ago. This set consisted of P68, Oxy, Manguin, & Versinthe. It arrived on time, but the Oxy arrived broken. When I informed Cristina, she said they would send me a replacement bottle with my next order. With SC's high shipping costs, this did not seem to be the excellent customer service that I had expected. Now that I'm reading about other people getting better service, I think I'll be contacting them. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Brett
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, its not Markus I'm worried about. It's Canadian customs. My first order from him last summer was seized, and as Wolfgang has mentioned hia was seized too. But hopefully things have changed.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had problems importing in Canada from Markus but that was many months ago and I think he made some changes to his shipping habits since then. Let us know if you get it without problem, that would be good news.
Traineraz
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jeez, Brett, you must be rich with all these orders.

Incidentally (unsolicited SC plug here), Cristina is indeed replacing the "off-tasting" bottle of Serpis 65 I received with my last order. I think it was heat-damaged, tasted very much like the ground beetles some say it's made of.

Yes, indeed, SC is not only reliable, but keeps their eye on QUALITY SERVICE!! Big hugs and kisses to Cristina and SC for the excellent service to an 'occasional' (every 3 or 4 months) orderer.

Adding to the unsolicited SC plug, the one time I did have an order intercepted (importing alcohol without an import license, not anything to do with absinthe per se), SC replaced it with no questions asked. Plus, Cristina has always been a sweetie to deal with. No wonder they inspire such fierce loyalty in their customers. Were extra-virgin olive oil not about $2 a pint at Trader Joe's, I'd buy THAT from them, as well!

Did I mention I bought glasses and spoons from SC, as well? Not the $250 glasses (I AIN'T MADE OF MONEY, DAMMIT), but the regular ones, and pressed stainless spoons. Very nice for the price, though I don't use them much. Spanish stuff has no need for sugar, nor does Emile.

I hope some day to meet her and Albert . . . if I can afford the trip to Spain. Gotta see the creations of Gaudi in Barcelona!

OK, I'm ranting. Too much Emile and Oranjeboom.

(As I have said many times, I've not ordered from Markus, but only hear good things from others. His shipping time appears faster than SC, but I'm a cheap bastard and would rather wait a couple of weeks longer. Besides, I have a two-year relationship with SC, and I'm addicted to their customer service. I think I'm in love with Cristina. Sorry, Markus.)
Greenmeanie
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Brett,

Don't sweat it. I've dealt w/Marcus several times. He's reliable. I can't speak for Kanadian customs though.

-Green
Brett
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, and my two repro spoons arrived yesterday. Now I hope that Markus's shipment comes through.
Brett
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Its like freakin' Christmas here! Got out of the shower and checked out the front door to see if our "adopted" stray was sleeping on the chair outside, and there's a freakin' brown package!! My SC order!! Its only been 6 business days!

I got the repro pernod carafe, a bottle of P'tit Bleu and Mari Mayans (I know, I know, but its like a first love). I thought there was some leakage from the MM, as there was some green stuff on the tape over the top, but there was nothing in the packaging and the bottle was dry, so it doesn't seem like it.

Again, it sucks I have to work!
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

we aim to please
Brett
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

and I have to work today :(. If I had the time, I'd have a glass and walk to work, but alas, even that is not possible. It will have to wait until tonight.

And that is the coolest packing I have seen.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page