Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through January 08, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Archive Thru January 2003 » Absinthe related death » Archive through January 08, 2003 « Previous Next »

Greenmeanie
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, I was close! It had science in there somewhere.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns have!
Brett
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tom Cruise is a Scientologist, its quite different.

And guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns help though.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

SHIT!! I've been eating paint chips for YEARS. Does that mean I'm a friggin Christian Scientist!!?? I am NOT gonna sleep with that closet queen Tom Cruise.
Traineraz
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've figured it out! That absinthe-guzzlin fool was also taking this fine product:

http://www.jesushatessmut.com/lead/
Traineraz
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Guns don't kill people. Shots kill people.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Absithe caused his death just like guns cause crime!

Oh, sorry, that was another thread.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yep, Granny not only gets the runs, she gets the reruns. Like reskimmin' the crust.
Traineraz
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Not to mention all the reruns.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

She's, well, "playful", after downin' 6 er 7 Bacardis.
Drinkslinger
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, I hate it when Granny's hairy mole rubs up against my thigh.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm on shot #8 and I feel fit as a fiddle. Except for the blurred vision, vomiting, and having shit my pants just after #7. I have to go now, the family's coming over to play quarters, and you know how Granny gets!

Teezy sez:

Quote:

Can't they just ban stupidity?

There goes the next TV season.
Drinkslinger
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That'll teach me not to read closely :-) At 49 you'd think he'd know better. And yes... what kind of family gathering encourages shot after shot? Damn you'd think this happened in the backwoods of West Virgina.
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

well he was 49 so you could argue that he should have been used to drinking. You could also speculate on any pre-existing conditions that might predispose him to a fatal reaction. We just don't know.

The sale of absinthe has been raised in the UK House of Commons before, with little interest from the Government; Hansard 7 December 1998:

Dr. Iddon: To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what assessment he has made of the implications for his policy regarding the availability of narcotics of the proposal of Green Bohemia to sell absinthe. [62569]

Mr. George Howarth: I have identified no such implications. Absinthe does not come within the scope either of domestic legislation on the misuse of drugs or of the international conventions on the control of narcotic or psychotropic substances.

and again in 1999

Mr. Leigh: To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food if he will make a statement on his plans to introduce measures to ban the sale of absinthe. [85364]

Mr. Rooker [holding answer 25 May 1999]: I have no plans to introduce such measures
Drinkslinger
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Let's take a closer look. The title Absinthe Death was of course used to gain attention. The ME's verdict was Alcohol Poisoning, not overdose of woormwood or absinthe herbs.
9 shots of 70% alcohol is no small amount... even if we're using 1oz as a standard shot size. That's comparable to about 17 shots of JD or Cuervo gold (3/5 of a US 750ml bottle). What size "shot" was this person using? If he was downing 2 or 3 oz shots, then that's a lot of alcohol.
We also have no idea about the amount of time in which the alcohol was consumed. If the "man" did 9 shots in 9 minutes, I'm not surprised there were problems.
How old was this "man"? How big was he? What was his drinking experience? Had he eaten or exercised? What was his state of health?
If one reads into the lack of details the article seems pretty sensationalized.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Absinthe will not be banned in the UK. The Government is not interested and doesn't have the inbred prohibition mentality on such things that the US authorities seem to have. There are no votes to be gained by banning substances (unlike banning guns, and increasing penalties for carrying one illegally i.e. a 5 year jail sentence, which is a vote winner over here). There is no public call to ban any more substances and there is in fact public support (and votes to be gained) for loosening the law on certain banned substances, notably cannabis. Sad that this incident is, it's not going to lead to any increased likelihood of absinthe being banned, despite how loudly the grieving parents call for it (or the fact that a tabloid hack makes a headline out of it) it doesn't work like that.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, who'd ban it, GOVERNMENT? (d'oh!)
Traineraz
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Can't they just ban stupidity?
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Would banning it get rid of all 70% alcohol liquor in England, or is there other 70% liquor available? Because it was alcohol that killed the idiot, as the coroner admits.
Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'll bet not a month goes by when a college freshman somewhere doesn't die from binge drinking. But let's say one died drinking vodka. The headline would not read "Vodka Death".

"Vincent van Gogh is supposed to have hacked off his ear while high on absinthe." Well, that's pretty tame. They should have said: "Untold millions have beaten, raped, murdered or committed suicide while high on alcohol."

(BTW, I love that term "misadventure". I love that it's an actual medical term in England.)
Simon
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Poor bloke! But i would be even more sadened if the drink did get banned in the UK!
I remember there was an incident a couple of years ago when a 15 year old i think, died from drinking a whole bottle of MM70%.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If I stumbled drunkenly onto a highway and got hit by a motorcycle, and my grieving relatives tried to get motorcycles banned, on the grounds that SUVs are so much safer, that would make about as much sense.

HEALTH WARNING: Too much of any alcoholic drink will kill your ass dead. D-E-A-D. So don't come crying to us. How much is "too much" will vary widely according to your weight and metabolism.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry, "Jean LANFRAY". My apologies to all the Jean Lefrays out there who haven't murdered their families.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Still, it's better to kill yourself than your wife and kids (as Jean Lefray did, about a hundred years ago.)
Eric
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

This is indeed sad news. I would have to think that it would take considerably more than nine shots to kill a full grown man. Even if it was Hills. It makes me wonder what else this guy had been drinking that evening.
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 5:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It is that time of year again. This was brought to my attention by a doctor who read it in the Times newspaper. It does not seem to have created much of a stir over here as I found it quite difficult to find the piece online and no one else has mentioned it. Whilst one has every sympathy for the parents, nine shots of 70% alcohol is a lot even if they were only single measures, and who pours single shots at a home party?

The Times (London)
December 31, 2002

Absinthe death
By Emma Hartley

THE family of a man who died after drinking nine shots of absinthe are
calling for the spirit to be banned in Britain.

Albie Webb, 49, from Litherland in Merseyside, had collapsed after a
drinking session involving the 70 per cent alcohol spirit, which had
been served as a talking point during a family party.

He was taken to Fazakerley Hospital, Liverpool, but died of acute
alcohol poisoning. A coroner's court recorded a verdict of
misadventure.

The dead man's father, Bert Webb, 75, of Skelmersdale in Lancashire,
rejected the verdict. "To say that my son's death was a case of
misadventure is ridiculous. He did not know there was any risk.
Something must be done to prevent this deadly drink being brought into
the country," he said.

Absinthe was a favourite among Parisian artists during the Belle
Époque of the 19th century. Known as "the Green Fairy" or Le Peril
Vert, it was believed to have hallucinogenic properties. Vincent van
Gogh is supposed to have hacked off his ear while high on absinthe.

It was banned in France by 1914 and its popularity in Britain declined
as a result, although it was never formally prohibited here. The
spirit is now manufactured in the Czech Republic, among other places,
for export to Britain.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page