Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

"High Thujone" Absinthes

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Archive Thru January 2003 » "High Thujone" Absinthes « Previous Next »

Celticgent
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

see what I mean? :P {says under his breath: "Bastards...the LOT of them!!!!!"}
Greenmeanie
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And you are! ;-)
Celticgent
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 6:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Masque, I lurked here for awhile as well. I tried to read as much of the faq and archives as I could, as well as the reviews. Even after that I waited a bit because I felt like a dipshit trying to butt in on somebody's conversation.
Masque
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

A long time ago, I asked a stupid question and was flamed badly. It is hard to sort real information from the crap that is out there. Lurking here is a good way to learn.
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

sorry, there is a short lag time between me setting up the forum and selecting the posting order. a few slipped by me. heh.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks.
Artemis
Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lord H., that post is at the bottom of the column, where I saw it pretty much by accident.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Where has my post that Artemis has just quoted from gone? It seems to have disappeared. Perhaps it chose not to not.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Choose not to not!!

Artemis
Posted on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I must say that I've never considered you to be a fundamentalist flamer. A bit narky from time to time perhaps, but never a flame-throwing zealot."

I got accused of pretty much that today in a Usenet group. As opposite as you and I are in political terms, if you spoke in that group, they'd probably hate you too. Fuck them. If I have time to waste, I'd rather waste it here.
Artemis
Posted on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

" ... I didn't mean to imply that you were one who acts/acted in a uncivilized manner towards newbies or the uninformed."

You didn't have to imply it. I've done it, but stopped doing it a long time ago.

The reason I was sensitive to L.H.'s post is that I've been lumped in the past with a cult of anti-thujone that supposedly flames all who mention it while providing no explanations. Actually, it's been explained to death here why thujone is a non-issue. Don't know if it mades its way into the FAQ or not, but I don't think most people read it anyway.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I suppose a malfunctioning editing facility has some benefits then.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

LobbyHobby sez:

Quote:

choose not to not

Damn, I like that!!
Destiny
Posted on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's funny how the edit function on this forum is just like the "edit" function of real life - sometimes you can fix what you just said, and at other times you're stuck with it.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Editing function not working therefore I am unable to correct an error in my last post which should have read '...not to respond at all.'
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I think that it boils down to the intent of the person asking the "ignorant" question. A sincere question asked in a friendly manner, even though it's based on incorrect assumptions, deserves either a civilized response or no response at
all."

Agreed.

Since we cannot accurately judge the intent of a person's first post here, the proper response (if the question is asked in a friendly, civil manner) is either to respond in a friendly, civil manner or choose not to not at all.

At least we no longer have the situation where the mere suggestion that thujone causes 2ndry effects gets a person blasted with flamerthrowers.
Destiny
Posted on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Artemis - Just to be clear, although my post did follow yours, I didn't mean to imply that you were one who acts/acted in a uncivilized manner towards newbies or the uninformed. Goblin's comment about people being flamed for mentioning the "T-word" reminded me of threads in the the past about the hospitality (or lack thereof) when a seemingy sincere newbie asked a "dumb" or previoulsy discussed question and got flamed for it. I guess I'm sensitive to the subject because I was on the receiving end of an unwarranted attack when I first showed up here and it kinda upset me.
Artemis
Posted on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I think that it boils down to the intent of the person asking the "ignorant" question. A sincere question asked in a friendly manner, even though it's based on incorrect assumptions, deserves either a civilized response or no response at all."

Agreed. In this case, I opted for no answer at all. I only chimed in to tell Lord H. why I think people who know the answers (or think they do) usually opt for no answer at all, as opposed to the civilized response. The truth doesn't seem to be what the questioners want to hear, be it presented civilized or any other way.

"Considering that so much of the generally available absinthe information is recycled garbage about it's notorious past and secondary effects, I'm actually surprised that even more people don't ask "ignorant" questions"

Agreed again. It doesn't change the fact that people who can bright light on the subject get tired of answering the questions.
Destiny
Posted on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think that it boils down to the intent of the person asking the "ignorant" question. A sincere question asked in a friendly manner, even though it's based on incorrect assumptions, deserves either a civilized response or no response at all.

(Of course, if someone asks a question and is an asshole about it, then he deserves being flamed to a cinder!)

Considering that so much of the generally available absinthe information is recycled garbage about it's notorious past and secondary effects, I'm actually surprised that even more people don't ask "ignorant" questions - but most people reading this forum are proabably lurkers anyway.
Artemis
Posted on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"(and it is good to see you back)"

Thank you.

"Anyway the 'draggers' have no right to drag anyone to a particular waterhole, people choose their own waterhole to drink from and should be allowed to go there (or not) at their own chosen pace."

No. I think you didn't get my analogy. It's not a matter of *this* waterhole vs. *that* waterhole. It's a DEAD horse. It's already been poisoned by other (fetid) waterholes . It's one thing to come in and ask "what's this thujone all about, anything to it?" It's quite another to come in full of ignorant, ill-founded, preconceived beliefs about thujone and pose a question that's fundamentally flawed because it relies upon those beliefs being TRUE for the question to even make sense.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe Kallisti (or someone of equal learnedness) can put together a reference that we can direct these folks to. Some kind of a "best of". Post it, close it and keep it permanently.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The exercise that drove so many in the Anti-Thujone side to exhaustion was not so much "brain-dead horse dragging" as "issue dodging"...
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There was a stage on the forum, shortly before you originally departed (and it is good to see you back), when (regardless of whether thujone played any part in 2ndry effects) the mere mention of secondary effects or the suggestion that thujone might possibly play any part in this would see someone flamed to oblivion with an almost fundamentalist, religious zeal. The views on the role of thujone may not have changed here but at least people don't start foaming at the mouth when it is mentioned.

Anyway the 'draggers' have no right to drag anyone to a particular waterhole, people choose their own waterhole to drink from and should be allowed to go there (or not) at their own chosen pace.
Artemis
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Anyway its good to see that thujone is no longer considered a dirty word on this forum. At one stage the mere mention of the dreaded 'T-word' would have been enough to get someone flamed to a cinder.

You can drag a brain-dead horse to the waterhole, but you can't make him drink. The draggers got tired of laboring for nothing; it's got nothing to do with views on thujone having changed.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anyway its good to see that thujone is no longer considered a dirty word on this forum. At one stage the mere mention of the dreaded 'T-word' would have been enough to get someone flamed to a cinder.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I for one am not ashamed to say that the secondary effects of absinthe are one of the main reasons I drink it (not the only main reason but one of them) just like the fact that guiness gets me drunk after half a dozen pints is one of the (but not the only) main reason I drink it.

I'm very susceptible to absinthe's secondary effects and I like the mild buzz it gives me. Personally I'd rather sit down drink a few glasses of absinthe and get a gentle lift than smoke a couple of joints of skunk and get wasted (but each to his own). And at around £10 a bottle delivered to the UK from Spain it is a lot cheaper than an ounce of grass. Absinthe is absinthe, grass is grass the two are not comparable.
Vortex
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I didn't much care for Versinthe La Blanche either. If taste is not important to you, you might like it. As for Thujone, I had a few drinking days wher I had 3 or 4 glasses of Logan Fils (which is supposed to have much more Thujone than anything else, if you believe the hype) and I didn't notice anything different from the effects you get when you have any quality absinthe. In my case the 'secondaries' that I feel aren't really anything extreme, I just feel a very pleasant state of mind. I think it probably causes endorphens or saratonin to be released.
Traineraz
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dammit, I can't edit.

I used the wrong brackets and my

[INSERT ARCHIVED RANT ABOUT THE NASTY SEBOR STRONG HERE]

note vanished.

So there it is. Summing things up. Initials. TAZ. &c.
Drinkslinger
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The only effect Ulex had on me was nausea. It's nasty and IMHO has no redeeming qualities. Versinthe La Blanche is OK... not good... just OK. I'll never buy another bottle of it.

If you're looking to drink Absinthe soley to get
secondary effects, look elsewhere. You'll spend a lot less money on a bag of herb, and the high will be more intense, than any secondary effects you MIGHT get from Absinthe.

I prefer the Absinthe brands that have an artesian quality vs. those that claim to be high in Thujone.
Traineraz
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I tried the Nasty Sebor Strong way back.

That should sum that up pretty well.

TAZ (see, I initialed it so you'll know who's writing)
Giovannigray
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I'll answer. High thujone or not (who knows?) both Ulex and La Blanche produce effects, but certainly not noticeably more than anything else. Advertising high thujone is just that - advertising. You'll notice that neither one of those products "advertises" its great flavor.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Turdy,
Ask Betty. She might answer. Nobody here will.
Zman7
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dunno about toojone, but Versinthe blanche just tastes weird.
Absinthespoon
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Can't we just dig up one of Don's old posts to answer this...
Turdferguson
Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Has anyone tried any absinthe that advertises as being high in Thujone, like Ulex or Versinthe La Blanche? I would like to know if it produces a better thujone effect than the more popular brands.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Artemis,

I must say that I've never considered you to be a fundamentalist flamer. A bit narky from time to time perhaps, but never a flame-throwing zealot.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page