Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through January 03, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » Opera Discussion » Archive through January 03, 2003 « Previous Next »

Tortainglese
Posted on Friday, January 3, 2003 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had those live Callas recordings, a set of 24 cd's purchased in Buenos Aires, but I lost them in my most recent divorce.
Bjacques
Posted on Friday, January 3, 2003 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

OPERA LOVERS REJOICE!
(ok, well, Maria Callas fans anyway)

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/02/international/02CND_COPY.html

European copyrights expire this year on 1950s recordings. Of special interest are those of the live performances of Maria Callas, considered to have hit her peak in that decade.

But the US recording industry is about to order Congress to set up customs barriers against such recordings, which are illegal according to U.S. copyrights. The wars on terrorism and drugs are put on hold to combat this new menace; bad for the RIAA, bad for America. "Mr. i-Sabbah, you're not hiding any Tosca CDs among those al-Qaeda videos and vials of smallpox, are you?" "No, as Allah is my witness!" "Enjoy your stay!" "Why did you stamp my hand?" "That's so if you leave you can come back in."

At Bush International (Houston), trained dogs sniff for CDs of Bix Biederbecke and Duke Ellington. "Your dirty contraband stops here, you cheese-eating peacenik Europeans!"

Oddly enough, the article cast new light on one of my favorite movies, "Diva." That's also the name of a notorious pirate record label that specialized in opera performances. EMI finally cut a deal with them. You'll recall that the hero of the book and movie is a devoted fan who lives for illegally recorded opera.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 5:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Place bullet in barrel
Spin barrel
Put barrel to head
"click"
Dammit!!!
Repeat until dead.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pour Louchey... His transparent
words go unnoticed yet again.
Tortainglese
Posted on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

what? are you talking to me? Obviously I missed something...
Louched_Liver
Posted on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 5:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What am I, fuckin' invisible here?
Tortainglese
Posted on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I stand corrected. One reliable source saw the Boheme and said it was great. You can get a $20 rush ticket half hour before the curtain. so guess eventually I will go check it out.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yep, thought so.
Tortainglese
Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have not seen the Boheme on Broadway. Nobody I know even wants to see it. The reviews in the NY Times were all good but never did they discuss the singing. Nor was it reviewed by the music critics. All they talked about were the production values. The media is making a big deal about young good looking singers in the lead roles, yeah like every opera house in the world hasnt tried that. or that updating it to 1950 is so radical. It just goes to show how ignorant the general public is about opera that they think the Boheme on Broadway is something new or special.
For free I would go see it, but not for $100. That same $100 gets me a night at the Met, with old fat singers who make me swoon without a microphone, thank you.

Then again, I have not seen it and maybe it is a life changing, life enhancing experience.
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, Mom was in Handel's Messiah the other night with the LPO. She had the lead Mezzo-soprano role. The old Orpheum still packs them in.
Something pissed her off, however. She showed me the program after the show, it stated: "...This is not the story of Jesus Christ." - Um, yes it is.
I guess, due to multiculturalism, they decided to lie to everyone on the program. Let's all go burn the history books now...they're surely all lies as well.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Tort. You duckin' me?
Angryp
Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

So, Tort (and anyone else in the NYC area) ... You planning on seeing Lurhmann's La Boheme? (Ducks and runs for cover) ;-)
Nolamour
Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2002 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Tort,

Just saw Bach's Magnificat (Movements I through XII "Gloria Patri")

Full string and brass sections with about a 20 person choir. Mighty fine!!
Crosby
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

After a season of repertory grand opera, working the ballet is rest for the weary. I always saw the holiday run of Nutcracker as being almost a paid vacation and it gets you into the christmas spirit. Stetting the top of the show in five minutes probably had the stage carpenters in tears too.
Tortainglese
Posted on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Lucky Bastards from the City Opera are now pushing scenery for the NYC Ballet. No rest for the weary, although I think City Ballet is far less scenery dependant than the opera.

The opening night of the opera season was Sept 11th. The first curtain rose on the entire company, stage hands included. The General Manger told the audience how last year the stage hands, many of whom are volunteer fire fighters, assisted with the rescue efforst at the World Trade Center.

Then everyone on and off stage sang the national antheum together. It was incredibly moving. I cried. the curtain went down and rose again in 5 minutes with the scenery loaded in for the first performance of the season.

The stage hands really had a moment of glory and appreciation.
Crosby
Posted on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Today was the last day of the season at the NYC Opera."

Lucky Bastards! I mean the stage crew.
Tortainglese
Posted on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nope, dont know the Brahms requiem, at least not by title. Today was the last day of the season at the NYC Opera. The last performance was La traviata. I only got 3 hours of sleep the night before so I left after the 2nd intermission. Kind of lame of me....but I have seen so may times before. City Opera returns in the spring. In the meantime I have to keep amused by shelling out the big bucks at the Met. Maybe I will take an opera break and hang out at the NY Philharmonic more and hear some stuff I dont know.
Or I could just take up knitting or bowling.
Nolamour
Posted on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Going to see Brahm's Requiem tomorrow...Have you seen this Tortie? A work which no-one can hear too often...Well, it's always here this time of year.
Absinthespoon
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

We saw Hansel and Gretel yesterday. It seems like a good introduction to opera for kids. I was bored except for Act III. The tenor who played the witch was very entertaining. Not really my cuppa though.
Tortainglese
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jay Lesenger...why do I know that name? Isnt he the Director of Chautaqua Opera in NY?

The Salome at NYC Opera has been my favorite production this season. BUt I just really like thsi opera.

one of the companies I work for had a big concert Sat night. We debuted some selections from a new opera by one of our conductors. It was very well received by the audience. we will do the complete opera in the spring. It is exciting to see new work spring forth into he world.

on Friday I attended a dress rehaersal for 1800 elemenatry school kids @ NYC Opera to see Hansel and Gretel. When the curtain went up they cheered like they were at the ball gamme. It was so cute and it made me laugh. Later that night I went to he NY Philharmonic, where the 50 something year old well dressed woman seated next me belched so loud I swear the orchestra could hear it. I was mortified. well, it takes all kind....sorry I didnt proof this for typos..very tired right now.
Nolamour
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Au Contraire!!!!

I just got in from Salome with Marquita Lister. She started strong and ended stronger. My throat ached for her as I couldn't believe she lasted as she did through every note. As she was streched out on her back holding the head of John The Baptist above her, she sounded just as strong as she did standing. The difficulty of Strauss was no match for Marquita! It was brutal for lack of another word. Her acting was key.
This is not to mention the fantastic stage, thanks to Jay Lesenger.

The show ended with a bang and the crowd was on their feet before the curtain could fall. What a surprise and great showing. OH, by the way, Jokanaan (John the baptist) was outstanding as well. Harod could have been better, but he was a funny (and yes, fat) drunk.

The best was her 2nd curtain call as the light showed her outfit spattered in blood. HA HA!!
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Try again later.
Absinthespoon
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Head you're a genius, I didn't even think to try that... Unfortunately it didn't work for me...

"Sorry, we are unable to issue a license to you at this time. Please try later."

Can anyone convert it to quicktime or mp3?
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had to accept the migration
and then it worked fine.

CREEPY!!! I got the ball shivers
just listening to it...
Absinthespoon
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks very much, Oxy. On my computer, I can't play the file you sent me. WMP takes me to a "license migration" page because I am trying to play content that was copied from a CD on another computer.

I guess I'll have to buy the CD if I'm really that keen on hearing it!

Thanks again.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page