Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Http://www.alandia.de/

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Archive Thru January 2003 » Http://www.alandia.de/ « Previous Next »

Destiny
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

and we wonder why birds shit on us....
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

RE: the seagull thing:

You might say this one's still up in the air... or perhaps the myth has just yet to be exploded...

"(5) At U.S. Air Force survival school in Spokane, Washington, students are told to drop Alka-Seltzer into wading pools in order to secure an easy lunch of seagull, says Brian Bourke. Many pilots carry Alka-Seltzer with them on sorties for this reason.

(6) Ex-serviceman Allen Greiner reports that while stationed on the Gulf Coast, he and his friends used to entertain themselves by tossing Alka-Seltzer to circling seagulls, who would catch the tablets in mid-air. If the gull succeeded in swallowing the Alka-Seltzer, it would falter after a short time, foam at the beak, then projectile vomit its stomach contents. Afterward the bird would be as healthy as ever. Bet this comes as a surprise to downed pilots tossing Alka-Seltzer in wading pools."

http://www.straightdope.com
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Fizzies pre-date Pop Rocks. Imagine a single Pop Rock the size of a Mentos.

And that Mikey kid was killed in Vietnam. That's what I heard, anyways.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just pour some salt on a snail and watch the fun.
Crosby
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's worth a shot. Fucking flying rats!
Traineraz
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The exploding tum-tum is just an urban legend. I just wonder if feeding alka-seltzer to seagulls really causes them to explode. And would it work on pigeons?
2loucheltrec
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

we had "nerds", two flavors of pop rocks in one box... pry the top off, pour contents into mouth, swigg back some soda .... aaahhhh, the effervescence!!!
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We called 'em Pop Rocks...and you can still find them hidden next to the gensing shooters and power pack vitamins up at the checkout counter of your local INconvenience store.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It was Mikey, from the old Life cereal commercials. "Hey Mikey! He likes it!!"
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

He was only trying to shoot alligators in the Dallas sewer!
Celticgent
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yep...right after he assasinated Kennedy!
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Fizzies were outlawed 'cause after that one kid put a whole bunch of 'em in his mouth and then took a big gulp of Coca-Cola and his head blew up. That's what I heard, anyways.
Thegreenimp
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Looks like the website is still there, but alas the new Fizzies are no more......RIP.
Giovannigray
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Fizzies! We used to put them on our tongues and wait for 'em to sizzle.
Thegreenimp
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

For the slightly older among us, Remember Fizzies?.....Wonder if they would do an Absinthe flavor

http://www.fizzies.com/main.html
Drinkslinger
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Brause??

When I was a kid we used to eat Tiki. It's like Alka Seltzer...only sweet and fruit flavored. You're supposed to put it in water to make "soda", but it's fun to eat raw and just foam at the mouth.

I saw (last time I was in CH) that it comes in a mini tablet form.

Sugar...yeah!
Giovannigray
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was just perusing the alandia.de website, and it looks like they're now selling Larsand 68, for those of you who are interested. I'm making my way through a bottle of it now..if you like Deva 50 or NS 70, Larsand should be a pleasant surprise (to my palate, it tastes like a combination of the two). If you don't prefer the heavier-anise, Spanish style absinthe, don't bother.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Brause!! My relatives used to send me that when I was a kid!!
Celticgent
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I gave Mike from Alandia this link to read my review and he was worried that he should've packed better. I told him that it wasn't his fault, it was most likely the US postal service or UPS(I don't know how it arrived..I should've paid more attention to the box, but I just wanted to open it and make sure everything was unbroken). I think it was BECAUSE it was packed so well I received it perfectly. If I had done the packing myself I'm sure it would've been in pieces. I always laugh hysterically when I watch the beginning of Ace Ventura, because I know UPS drivers that are like that. I am amazed we get anything that isn't broken :)
Oh, by the way, here's his answer about the packet:
Concerning the little bag, it is a german sweet, "Brause", thats something that pops when you mix it with water. Here we drink it as shots, put the whole content in your mouth, then enjoy the crackling, and swollow everything with a glass of vodka, fantastic. You can also make it with absinth mixed with water, I know it is not a traditional way, but as we germans like drinking we always invent new ways to enjoy....

German Pop-Rocks.... :):):) Should be fun to eat when I'm drunk!
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No. God, no.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Absinth Black Hawk:

"Schwarz, Stark und Schnell - so kommt das neue Bier Cola Absinth Mix Getränk Black Hawk. Formschön verpackt in der 0,33 Liter Longneck Flasche mit berauschenden 6% Alkohol. Ideal für jede Party!"

my picture
Celticgent
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You're most welcome. I'll also post my O.S. review when I get the bottle from them. I have NO idea about the beercolabsinthe :) I bet they would answer your question if you emailed them. I'm dying to figure out what the small packet they sent is....I should've checked the translation last night but I was too lazy. I'll check tonight. Absinthe Pop-Rocks?
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sounds great! Thank you for that very informative post. I'll try Alandia out.

By the way, that "Absinthe Black Hawk" they sell -- is it really an absinthe/beer/cola mix?
Celticgent
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, as promised on the "favorite/why" thread, here's my story:
I contacted Alandia(12/19/02)about shipping times and the price on 3 bottles. If you click the American flag in the upper left corner it gives a descriptions of most of the products and the shipping. When I first contacted them it was only a few sentences about shipping, so I think my questions may have influenced a better American instruction page?! Anywho, my email was answered 4 hours later and stated I would receive them in 10-14 days and postage would be 35$. Also, they charge 4% of the total order for Paypal fees. I decided to wait until after the holidays to order, so it wouldn't get lost in the mail and would also give me more time to collect the money. Alandia put me on their mailing list apparently, because I received a "Merry Christmas" newsletter on 12/19/02. I didn't reply to Alandia, but on 12/27/02 I received an email making sure I received their email response (and a Happy New Year!), which I thought to be a good business practice. I replied that I decided to wait until after the holidays to order, but they'd be hearing from me soon. He replied with "O.K. happy new year as well! Greetings from Cologne". I received another newsletter on 12/30/02 (it was in German, but if I remember the the translation it was a Happy New Year type thing. On 1/2/03 I sent an email describing my order and making sure my math was correct. He replied it was fine, so I placed the order via Paypal. He emailed me back and said the package would be in the mail tomorrow. I received it yesterday(1/9/02), exactly 1 week from when I placed my order...pretty quick for 35$!! The package looked like it had been sent from Germany..(not as crisp as a new box, but undamaged)I opened it up and there were a sea of peanuts..i fished a box out of the larger box, and everything was bubblewrapped nicely. Success!! Nothing was damaged and it arrived very quickly. The correspondence was amazing, as every email I sent was answered within hours. I got a free glass, sticker, kubler poster and cocktail card describing mixed drinks and a packet of something(I have to translate it later). All in all, I'm very happy with the transaction and would recommend them to others willing to try a different vendor.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page