Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Spelling of OXYGENEE

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Archive Thru January 2003 » Spelling of OXYGENEE « Previous Next »

Petermarc
Posted on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

trop
Absinthespoon
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Ici l'on sert Emile Pernot..."

Here, the article doesn't even make sense, but "ici on..." would not be a pretty sound, so a consonant is inserted. Sometimes they put in a "t" for a similar reason:

"Petermarc a-t-il bu de l'absinthe?"
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think that's because the French like to use the definite article where the English don't bother; like in MCD's books where the title is l'absinthe - Histoire de la Fée Verte rather than Absinthe - etc. Of course, I failed my French O level so I could completely wrong...
Petermarc
Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

but it's always 'l'oxygénée c'est ma sante'
pour quoi?
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

...And to those who wonder where the "académie française" comes from, it is an idea of the Cardinal de Richelieu ...
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Emile is a masculine noun so in french we use ''un'' in front of it. Oxygénée is feminine (notice the e at the end) so we should use ''une'' in front of it.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

As a non-French speaker, Un Oxygenee and Un Emile sound the same to me. However, I see the same mechanism at work in Spanish.

For example, the female word "aguila" (eagle) uses the male article "el", to avoid the clash of two "a's", as in saying "la aguila".

In the plural form we revert to "las aguilas".
Petermarc
Posted on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

say 'un émile'
then say
'un oxygénée'

it's a flow-thing (you say it like it is one word)...
i may be wrong on this (if someone can come up with a pub that says 'un oxygénée', please do)...
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Peter:

If Un Oxygenee is bad grammar, how come Un Emile?

Is it a matter of euphonic difference between the "o" and the "e"?
Petermarc
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

-in french it is not required to use accents when the entire word is capitalized (but you can, if you're feeling sassy)
-french spelling and speaking have everything to do with how nice they think words sound when pronouced or written, and the french will try to tell you it has to do with some fancy thing called 'grammar' which, as an american, i am not familiar with...(there is even "l'académie française" that regularly meets to decide if a word can become french or not, in recent years the amount of english words entering the french language has become scandalous, but the culture of mac do's and coca is just too powerful)

'un oxygénée' is bad grammar (see, it doesn't flow from your tongue)...
de 'l'oxygénée' is good grammar (ahhh, bien!)... and the de is just too much crap for advertising...

OXYGENEE just doesn't need silly marks over the E's for anyone to know that they are accented, but you can do it, if it looks good...
(eet eez logee-cal, no?)

remember kids, this is not your gramma, but your french gram-mar (and she's a bitch)...
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, well, it says: "L'Oxygenee"
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here's a question for our resident absinthe historians.

Both the modern label and an old tin advertising sign spell the name: OXYGENEE (with accents aigus in the first and second e).

This carafe I have, however, spells it this way:

1,carafe

Anybody knows why?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page