Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

First Timer - Some comments and a que...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Archive Thru January 2003 » First Timer - Some comments and a question « Previous Next »

Mr_Nemo
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 5:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's great information, I will be definitely heading to Soho on my next visit.

Since getting your advice, I ordered some Un Emile and I am hoping it arrives shortly. I wanted to sample it this weekend, but if worse comes to worse, there is always half a bottle of La Bleue to console myself with :)

Thanks,

Nemo
Artemis
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

For what it's worth, La Fee did not exist when this forum began, and it was never a "consensus" favorite, although most people, including me, liked it when it came out.

When this forum began, a lot of people were still making do by dosing Ricard with wormwood extract, and a few were lucky (?) enough to have tasted "absinthe" from the Czech Republic. Nobody had even heard of Spirits Corner yet, although one or two were rhapsodizing about the almost mythical "Absente" (they thought it was a brand name, they were talking about Deva) they had encountered in Spain.
Giovannigray
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

La Fee is a tasty drink. It's not the carefully-crafted product that is Emile 68, but I enjoy it. If you browse the shops that String suggests, you have a great opportunity to buy both of them at once and see what you think.
String
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nemo,
There are two places in London's Soho district that sell La Fee. La Fee was the consensus favorite around here back when this forum began. One is called Gerry's and the other is called Vintage. There was an announcement a couple months ago that Vintage is also carrying Un Emile. Bjacques has answered this same question many times and he has posted the addresses before. Check the archives.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

How about a small throat in a deep dick situation?
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Or a small dick in a deep throat situation.

As I said elsewhere, I try to stay with what I know. I've never been on either end of that continuum.
Sambeau
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You can get La Fee at Tesco. If I remember, only .7 or .5 liters, and it was a little expensive.
Mr_Nemo
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I appreciate your replies, thanks for the knowledge. In answer, the La Bleue #1 came from Betty, and although the price was steep I was not disappointed. (By the way has anyone done a taste test between the product that both OS and Betty provide. I realize like any beverage produced by hand, and even produced by different vendors, these will differ from batch to batch, but I was curious.)

Given the suggestions, I will most likely move on to Un Emile 68 next. I am also interested in trying more small batch product and so I will move on when money allows to more La Bleue's. If anyone has other suggestions or advice for water ratios on the Un Emile I would love to hear it.

I will be visiting London in a month or so, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on where to buy, and what to buy while I am there. Are there any good Absinthe bars? Should I seek out La Fee or should I turn my attention elsewhere while I am there.

Thanks,
Nemo
Louched_Liver
Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Artie sez:

Quote:

Rather I meant that "amazingly smooth on the pipes" is a characteristic of good absinthe.

Or a small dick in a deep throat situation.
Artemis
Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I should clarify that when I said "that's good absinthe", I wasn't talking about anybody's "La Bleue #1".

Rather I meant that "amazingly smooth on the pipes" is a characteristic of good absinthe.
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hoho! I think we just got a great newbie who did his homeworks ! Welcome.

If your ''#1" was from Betty, I'll just let you know her #2 is even better. Of course it's damn expensive but it's the best La Bleue I have tasted (#1 was nice too). I didn't pay for it and would never pay 200 us$ for a bottle of absinthe but if you have the money, it's a great absinthe blanche.

If you have only access to commercial absinthes, you should try Un Emile68, Francois Guy and Segarra. Those are all absinthes I would buy again even if I have access to "something better". To me, those are all better than Sebor but not as impressive as Betty #2.

About Sebor, if it was 1/4 of the price (including shipping), I would buy a bottle or two per year but at the actual cost, I'll forget about it, I can get better wine/scotch/wathever at that price.
Artemis
Posted on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"amazingly smooth on the pipes"

That's good absinthe. Even if it is 140 proof. That shows what you had was a good product. You'd almost not know the damned stuff was alcoholic. It also means you watered it just right. There's no way to describe the aftertaste you mention; you'll know it when you taste it. Your post tells me you catch on quickly.
Giovannigray
Posted on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'll third that. In fact, after a few weeks of having both the regular Emile 68 and the Sapin at my disposal, I've concluded that I prefer the regular variety over the Sapin. That being said, they're both very, very good. It's simply a matter of personal taste.
Zman7
Posted on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yep, go for the Un Emile 68.
Traineraz
Posted on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nemo -

I've only seen vehemently negative comments about the Nasty Sebor Strong, which is made by a different distillery than Sebor. They have supposedly "borrowed" the Sebor name without permission.

To the best of my knowledge, Sebor is still considered the best of the Czech. If you wanted horrid, try the Nasty Sebor Strong or Hill's. :)

As most will likely tell you, Un Emile 68 is likely the best-crafted commercially-available absinthe.
Mr_Nemo
Posted on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am new to posting in the forum; I have been reading and doing research on absinthe for only a short time now. I was a bartender for five years in another life, and I have had the pleasure of sampling a wide variety of regional beverages, but until recently I never had the priveledge to sample absinthe. After doing a little due diligence, I recently endeavored to try both Sebor and a La Bleue #1, in the hopes that in sampling these two bottles I would get a taste for the wide spectrum that lay in front of me. I have to say that although I found the La Bleue superior, I actually did not mind drinking the Sebor.

The Sebor itself was far more herbal and complex with a bitter aftertaste, and I found I enjoyed it only with one or two La Perruche cubes (maybe I have a sweet tooth?). However, after the cubes were added and disolved, I found that the finish in some ways was not unlike the quinine taste in a good tonic. I hope I do not draw fire, but Sebor strikes me as a fairly common beverage (in the league of a Jagermeister) that did not awe me, but did not offend like some of the other reviews I have read.

Keeping this in mind, all the research I did could not prepare me for how smooth the La Bleue #1 was. As a former barman, when I think of 70%+ alocohol I think of using Bacardi 151 to top off and flame drinks. The La Bleue mixed 4 to 1 was strong but amazingly smooth on the pipes. To me, although not an elegant description, it tasted like a very rich black jelly bean. It was not very complex, in fact, I almost wished it had a few more layers to explore, but I was not disappointed at all. It was pricey, but definitely worth it in the end.

A brief word on sensation: I did not know what to expect when I read about the famed "secondary effects" and it should be noted I did not experience these effects with the Sebor, but I did notice a nice feeling with the La Bleue. Not to put too fine a point on it, I would say it is like being giddily awake and intoxicated at the same time. Colors are a little more fuzzy and vibrant, and the conversation flowed for hours. All in all it was a great experience, and one I cannot wait for again.

Which of course brings me to my next question: Where do I go from here? I have heard good things about the Francois Guy (is this the same as the Armand Guy?) and the Emile Sapin. I understand that Kubler is nice, but it has an aftertaste (can someone describe this?) All in all I am at a loss, give me a few suggestions if you have some time.

Thanks,

mr_nemo (a relative newbie)

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page