Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Optimalsmarts.com

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Archive Thru January 2003 » Optimalsmarts.com « Previous Next »

Absinthespoon
Posted on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks guys!
Sambeau
Posted on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have bought a number of spoons from absinthe spoon. I can't say enough about the great service and very fast shipping.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

i agree destiny, all my reproduction glasses and spoons have come from absinthespoon, his packaging is also impeccable and his prices are great.
Destiny
Posted on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I did end up buying the St. Louis cubes from absinthespoon (the box that he hand-carried from Paris). He kinda wanted to keep them, but I wasn't about to let those suckers get away after searching for so long! When I need more, I'll order from one of our new sources.

BTW, here's an unsolicited plug:

absinthespoon.com is a great place to pick-up paraphernalia (they don't sell absinthe) - they respond promptly to email, ship quickly, and have always treated me very well.
Crosby
Posted on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Optional Parts is a very generous person. I'm sure he'd want to share his absinthe empire's success with a person who has helped him develop his winning business plan. It's just the kind of guy he is. Besides, when you deal in that kind of volume, what's a bottle between friends.
Drinkslinger
Posted on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe not a bottle, but at least some good sugar.
Crosby
Posted on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think you deserve a bottle of La Bleue. Come on Opie, he did point you in the right direction.
Destiny
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gee.. seems like asking a certain someone if they can get the wrapped cubes gave that certain someone a nice "value added" product to sell. Maybe that certain someone would like to send a little "thank-you" package to the person who originally asked about the cubes but doesn't have the address of where to send the gift???

>:-)
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've emailed OS a few times and he's responded to them all. I'm going to go ahead and order a couple of boxes of the St. Louis Sugar cubes... I'll keep you posted.

He seems pretty resonable to deal with although I am new to this.

Also... I just purchased a bottle of the Emile 68. As of right now, my favorite by far is La Fee.
Celticgent
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

OS read my review and sent me the St. Louis sample. :)
Masque
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

All of my e-mails to GrandCaymanLiquors@yahoo came back to me as well. Luckily, I had the earlier address and it still worked.
Drinkslinger
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Opie's got so many email addresses he may forget a few now and then. That's what happens to you when you try and be an international man of mystery...Yeah Baby!
Gasspectro
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

grandcaymanliquors@yahoo.com
Optimalsmarts
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

what email are you using????????????
Greenmeanie
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

FWIW, I just came home and part 2 of my order was on my porch. One bottle of Sapin, well packed.

I am expecting my final shipment next week. Consisting of another Sapin and an Oxy. He's just waiting on the Oxy.

So far, so good. I'll keep you posted.
Gasspectro
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

OS,
I haved emailed you twice. As of today still no response.
Optimalsmarts
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, both post seemed very reasonable. Yet there is a detail or two i probably would have left out but thats why you didnt ask me to write em. Celtic and I had a straight up deal and i knew what i was getting into. Our whole deal was messed up from the start with his changing of minds and my stocking problems. That is my major problem was the fact that i had 10 of everything one day and 50 of one thing the next. Thats why were are going to concentrate on the elite absinthes for a bit so i can have enough of everything, so NO ONE has to wait. In the Beginning of March I would say that from that time everything on my list and more will be fully in stock and 2 days away from everywhere in the u.s. And yes, ive shipped to canada but only once. I used a certain packing method and it worked, i would be willing to try it again if neccessary. thanks
Celticgent
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bob Chong,
I don't think I "blackmailed" OS at all. I told him from the get-go that I wasn't an important member of this forum. I told him I wasn't one of the "heirarchy", that I was a newbie. I simply stated that I would give my honest opinion of his service. He knew that what I said here would not be regarded in the same light as most people on here. He could have said "Go shit in your hat; go slag me like everybody else on the board!" I would never have posted a review if he did not agree to deal. How stupid would I sound if I said: "I offered OS an unreasonable price for a bottle and he refused"? What the hell would that prove? On his website was the statement: "We will not refuse a reasonable deal". I offered what I thought to be a reasonable deal. I did not tell you what the deal was out of consideration to OS. I was one of (if not THE) first person to actually USE his service and was not shooting my mouth off about what a joke he was without actually having dealt with him. I didn't ask for a free bottle of La Bleue, only a good deal. I don't think I did anything wrong. If OS felt pressured by me, let HIM state that and I WILL apologize. I am not the kind of person that would slag a person without reason, and I would assume he got that from my correspondence. I don't believe I have the clout on here to be able to pressure ANYBODY, but everybody's entitled to their own opinion.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I wonder, of all the people here who are bitching about OS, how many have actually DEALT with him?

Right now it seems that the worst any of us, who have dealt with him, can say is that he can be a bit dis-organized, a little slow and maybe a bit sloppy. Sounds to me like a start-up business in it's infancy run by someone who is learning as he is going.

I say we give him a chance. THEN if he hoses us we jump his ass.
Destiny
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

All I need is the La Bleue, all I need is my precious. It's was mine and you gave it away! We're so close to you... we can even pick up the precious in person.
Brett
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, depending on the results of my order from Markus, I may order from OS.

Even if I get my stuff from Markus, he appears to not want to ship to Canada anymore. This I can understand. I took a look at the pricing, and OS is not the best, but he compares favourably and the shipping so far is apparently quicker. (Although my pacakge from SC arrived lightning fast considering its origin, and I've never had a package from them seized).

But, I do live in Canada. Have you ever shipped out of the States, OS? I know Markus has run into a lot of problems with Canadian customs, but I don't know what the chances are with a package originating from the US.

As a serious question: how would you ensure an order I place with you would get to me? And what is your policy if it is seized?
Drinkslinger
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

CelticGent's post didnt' sound too positive to me.. even though he wrapped it up with a smile. If it had been me, I would have been frustrated.

OTOH, I don't think Opie would care if he got a bad review from CG. Criminy, OS has had more bad press recently (almost all of it from people who've never ordered) than Wolvie. So I'd venture to say it wouldn't influence him too much.

I think he's trying...
Bob_Chong
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is it just me, or do CelticGent's tactics sound like borderline blackmail? "Sell to me for less or I'll tell everyone you suck?"
Greenmeanie
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Greetings all,

I'm gonna keep this as short as I can for right now because I'm dog tired and the week is not over YET.

I broke down and placed an order with Optimmy on the 3rd. I ordered a La Bleue a Sapin and an Oxy. He told me the Sapin will go out the next day and he gave me a tracking number. The La Bleue is on back order. The Oxy is something he does not normally carry so I did not want to wait. I then e-mailed and said to give me a Segarra in place of the Oxy. He told me that would not be a problem and the La Bleue should be in early in the week.

I got the Sapin on Monday or Tuesday as promised. He was experiencing difficulties getting the La Bleue. I told him I was in no hurry and to send it with the Segarra. He even offered to refund the balance of my money along with the $10 PayPal fee. I told him to hang on to it because I would just be sending it back with my next order.

I changed my order from Segarra to another Sapin after I tried it and liked it so much. Plus he had it in stock. He was very receptive. He said it would go out on this last Saturday. He e-mailed me on Monday to tell me that due to a shipping error it got returned to him and he said he re-wrapped it and sent it back out. By my estimate I should get it tomorrow.

As it stands now I am waiting for that Sapin and in an another shipment to go out next week a Sapin and an Oxy. I have a standing reservation with him for his next La Bleue. According to him his shipment did not make it.

I know that I did not fill in a bunch of nit-picky details but let me say that, so far, I am pretty satisfied. He was (and is) very communicative and straight forward. He worked with me on pricing big time. He told me details of the problems that he was having getting his inventory and they all seem plausible. I have no reason to believe he is yanking me around. I think he has the potential to be a good source and he is going through growing pains. He may not have the finesse and savvy of Markus or SC but I'm willing to give him a chance. I think he'll mature and come around to everyone's standards given time. Granted there is always the possibility he could turn into another Wolvie, but so could anyone we deal with on the net.

Sorry if this is a bit dis-jointed but I am out of it and need to go sack out. G-night!
Drinkslinger
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It seems as though Opie has some good deals. He offers them in private to the "Cool" people. If he does indeed offer to send you something I honestly believe he will send it... and it will show up within a couple (2-3) days.

The trouble is his inconsistent pricing and unreliable stocking practices. Just make sure you ask if he has it and will be sending it.

Caveat Emptor
Brett
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I also received an offer an a 1/2 litre of Guy from OS, but did not take it as I had just ordered from Markus.

My order from Markus has yet to arrived (only a few days before its "late"), but last time it seemed to take its time as well.

If OS does indeed deliver and in such quick time, I'll strongly consider him for my next order or if -God forbid- my La Fee Verte order gets snatched by the evil claws of customs.
Optimalsmarts
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

less than stellar feedback???? you say that like 50% of my feedbacks are negative. Fyi, I have 34 feedbacks and two from the same guy , same day, one his wife actually. the same guy that is on louchelounge.com bitchin cause he didnt get his shit. I sent that bastard two bottles and he claims he got none. Im done with him and it is put to rest, fraud report has been filed against him and im asking for my money for the second bottle. Everything else is peachy clean!!!!!!!! Nothing to hide here, its already been addressed on the other forum and i came out straight!!!!!!
Optimalsmarts
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I know, I know. I hate to do it but its not like im hiding something or anything like that. In this crazy world of absinthe there are many legal problems and few loopholes. Lets just say im trying to stay in the business without going to lockup. We are working with people now who have all the legal stuff ironed out and at the end of this month(hopefully) we will be 100% legit, shipping and storing in a totally legal fashion. So I appoligize for the hassles but im doing the things i do to cover my own ass. thanks.
Crosby
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

All the bullshit doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Especially since most of his ebay names have some less than stellar feedback.
Drinkslinger
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Opie,
I was wondering the same thing. Your last website made an inference to GrandCaymanLiquors. I find nothing about that "company". Now you have another yahoo web address as a contact, with GrandCaymanLiquors as a prefix... how many companies/names are you going to go through?

All I want is a reliable-honest-reasonable source for my absinthe.
Crosby
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And yet another ebay handle:

grandcaymanliquors

Will the real Charlie please stand up!
Destiny
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, OS. Please let us know when the LaBleue arrives!
Optimalsmarts
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

#1 No, I do not have any La Bleue. Lets just say my last order didnt make it.

#2 There will be more La Bleue very shortly. I am working on several bottles for forum members but have to touch the issue very softly as not to piss anyone off if you know what i mean.

#3 I cannot say if it will be the same product as sent to LL because i have no idea how when or where this stuff is made but i can definately promise that it comes from the same source and that i will personally test drive a bottle before sending it. Ive purchased many bottles and they have all been very nice.

#4 I would by lying if i said anything about bettys bottling. Ive seen it once and thats its. I do , however, know the quality and respect the quality of her product and feel my product is exactly the same.

#5 Yes, my bank account is in the united states on the paypal account.

***I appreciate the serious questions for once and hope they were useful.
Destiny
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, I didn't know that. I've been sent samples of her La Bleues from a friend, but never saw the bottle. I know the Spaish brands usually come in 1 liter, now I'm gonna have to check my stash out of curiousity.

Okay then - one down, four to go...
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Not that you mention it, all I've seen were liters, too.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i can partially answer Q#4, of all three samples of betty's that i've seen were 1l bottles.
Destiny
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Damn, no La Bleue? I was just gonna order some!

OPEN QUESTIONS TO OS:

1) Do you have La Bleue in stock?

2) If not, when do you expect stock to arrive?

3) Will it be the same product that was sent to LL?

4) You said that your La Bleue came in 1 liter bottles; if the new stock comes in .7 liter bottles, will that fact be clearly mentioned on your website? Also, if you have the same supplier as Betty, why do you receive 1 liter bottles?

5) Does the bank that is tied to your Paypal account physically reside within the U.S.?

These are sincere questions and not intended to cause any negative speculation about you or your business.

Thanks for the info!
Drinkslinger
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That is pretty much the type of experience I was expecting from Opie.
Crosby
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It seems Optional Parts doesn't have any La Bleue in stock. I'm sure he'll explain that the demand is so great that he blows through his stock. My bet is he doesn't have much storage space between his mom's garage (got to have room for a bed) and his sisters condo.
Celticgent
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, FINALLY, here's my promised opinion of OS.
I contacted OS on 12/13 asking about the "forum discount". I got a reply a few hours later that stated they would be charging $7 more than the places from Europe. As I didn't think this was a good deal, I refrained from ordering. Then they put a statement on their website: "We will not refuse a reasonable deal". I thought to myself, "well, perhap I can get a good deal AND help out the underdog", so I contacted them again on 12/20 (10AM EST)and offered them $15 less than their advertised price for NS70. I also said that I would put an honest interpretation of the service I got from them on this forum. I received no resoponse by 10AM the next day, so I checked the forum to see if OS had posted between 12/20 and 12/21, which he had. I sent an email at 10AM saying that I knew he was online, so I assumed the answer was NO, but I would have appreciated a response either way. (Also, I had contacted Alandia 12/20 and they got back to me within an hour)About 15 minutes later I received a response from OS apologizing for overlooking my email and agreeing to accept my price, but they were all out of NS70 and I would have to wait "a few days" for them to get it in. I told them to let me know when it came in and I would buy it. After waiting more than "a few days" , on 1/2/02 I put in my order with Alandia, and spot my friend the $ for a bottle he wanted, figuring I wouldn't hear from OS for awhile. On 1/3 I received an email from OS, telling me they have been watching me on the board and since I want to try all of the absinthes, they will sell me a Guy .5 for the same price. After spotting the $ for my friend, I didn't have the cash to pay them. (and in retrospect, I'm glad I didn't....I can get the pretty much the same deal on Guy elsewhere) I sent an email telling them I told them that I had waited a long time but didn't have the money and would wait for the NS70. ( I told them about my alandia order). They said no problem. On 1/7 (9:30PM) I received an email telling me that the NS was in, but offered a few different kinds for "sale"(including the Guy $10 cheaper than previously ordered, which WOULD have been a pretty good deal). I replied the next day at 4PM (busy day for me)that I would rather have the Guy, because it was a good deal. I placed my order with Paypal and went home for the day, not checking my email until the next morning. I had received an email an hour and a half later after I had paid with Paypal saying "i just sold my last bottle of F guy to another forum member. I have the n.s. 70 put aside with your name on it. I can get you more f. guy when my shipment arrives on tuesday. let me know."
I replied that I had already paid for the Guy with Paypal, so I would wait until tuesday for the Guy, unless they would send me the NS70 for the price I already paid ($10 less than the already agreed upon price). I received a response that they had sent me the NS, and would like me to follow through with my "honest and truthful perception of our transaction." I received the bottle of NS70 the NEXT DAY from Cali to NY.

Ok, here's my 2 cents after that long winded description: I felt the lack of reply to one of my emails was unprofessional, but, hey, we all make mistakes. I thought offering me a deal one day and telling me they were out the next day was idiotic, maybe they could have said they were almost out. I also did not receive the sugar cubes : "This wednesday will be the first time I will be including a free sample of st louis wrapped cubes with all purchases." which is no big deal, but I was looking forward to them (although we NEVER spoke of it in emails)..I just assumed. My final opinion: If I need a single bottle of absinthe or a bottle of La BLeue (the cheap price and LL's review make it very enticing) then I would use them again. I love the fact that I got the bottle the next day for a good price. I think that with time OS will deal with more people and get a bit better in the email department, as I feel they will do whatever is necessary to make people happy. I think other members should give them a try, especially for the La Bleue. I never thought I would be able to try a La Bleue because of the outlandish prices charged, but if OS is delivering for the price he quotes, I just might.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page