Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Traditional use of sugar?

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Archive Thru January 2003 » Traditional use of sugar? « Previous Next »

Traineraz
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, I know about the pricing thang . . . and there were more expensive brands available! I've just heard enough people recommend The (sorry, THE) Glenlivet.

I didn't see any Famous Grouses (Famous Grice?) running about, though. Maybe I'll have to go to a real lick-her store sometime.
Celticgent
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Trainer: I think The Glenlivet 12 @ $30-35 a bottle is the best deal for single malt out there. If I feel like drinking blended, I get The Famous Grouse. It's pretty cheap, but I think it tastes pretty damn good. Just because something is really expensive doesn't automatically mean you'll like it better....
my 1 1/2 cents.....
Traineraz
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nuh uh, I used rubbers. Good boy.

()=o) See my halo?
Louched_Liver
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Teezy,
I'm sure you've been a bad boy, anyway.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm a fuckin' Malt Head too. I mix w/water-fiddy/fiddy. I find it makes shit happen. Not like a good ol' louche, but transformative, non-the-less.
As far as bang for the buck, you get a shitload more flavah for your $$$ w/whiskey. The absinthes that are worth what you pay for absinthe, you can't buy. They, and only they, have the complexity of flavor that rival good whiskeys.
Traineraz
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I guess I've been a bad boy, but the website (www.theglenlivet.com) SAID it was ok . . . 50/50 with water. Since it's not scorching my tongue, I can actually taste something, and it's quite nice! I managed not to swallow the toe.

The experience I had buying it at Safeway was also nice. They keep the higher-end liquor in a locked cabinet, so I had to have someone get it for me (and it took two of them!). I then went to the LONG lines.

The assistant manager came and took me to a closed register, rang me up, and then closed the line to other customers. Now THAT is SERVICE!

(By the way, considering what I pay for absinthe -- $85/bottle for E68, or at least $40-45 for Spanish stuff -- I can easily justify $35 for a bottle of Glenlivet!)
2loucheltrec
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

oh, thanks guys, you forced me to pour my last dram of lagavulin 16 !!!
2loucheltrec
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

all my scotches must neat, no water, not even to bloom. yes, if you must drink blended start with johnny black... i got a bottle of johnny gold at work but i won't do a "quality control" until the first customer buys one... drinkslinger, you also called out two of my three fav singles, talisker and lagavulin but for my lighter stuff i like the "gentle spirit" dalwhinnie, which i would suggest to those of you ready to move from blended to singles.
Artemis
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with Aion. The key to his comment is "traditionally made". There aren't many absinthe products out there that fit the description. Apparently, many of them already have sugar in the bottle, which makes them anise liqueurs with (possibly) some wormwood, not absinthe extracts.

I agree that Scotch is nasty as well. As exciting as peat bogs filled with Druid sacrificial victims, and little girl feet may be, they're not my idea of a refreshing drink.
Nolamour
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Hell you think Absinthe is $$$, try some aged single malts!

You aint kidding...I had a long row of already consumed bottles on my mantle and realized that the cheapest one was about $45. Damn, I have rent to pay!
Nolamour
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I concur with Gent and Slinger.

Nothing beats a fine single malt...Just a hint of spring water (and there's nothing wrong with a start of ice and letting is sloooowly melt)

First trial may be, as you say, Blech, but after your acquire the taste...it's like liquid candy.
Celticgent
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Even after trying some more expensive brands, my all time favorite is The Glenlivet. It's just one of those things, kinda like my wife liking Dewars even if someone gives her a better one......
I like mine neat, sometimes with ice, sometimes with a splash of water...depends on my mood. Purists say that adding ice ruins it, but sometimes I enjoy it more that way.
Barsnake
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mrs. Barsnake likes Scotch - I sip it occasionally...
We found this at a Basque restaurant - it is actually quite good.
http://www.scotchwhisky.net/pure/sheep_dip.htm
Drinkslinger
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Aaaargh soda? That's sacrelidge to a good single malt. It's like lighting absinthe on fire :-)

I prefer mine neat, although a "drap" of spring water can help it to bloom.

If you're starting out and have no idea, it's probably going to tast like fire and blech. Upon my first tasting of Lagavulin I was certain I had recieved a spoiled bottle. It tasted like melted plastic.
Eventually, if you stick with it, you'll begin to pick out subtle flavours. Then one day you'll stand straight up and say, "Damn, this stuff is really tasty".

I LOVE Lagavulin, then there's also Laphroig, Talisker,... and weaker Oban,Balvenie and ho-hum McCallan (only the 12 is ho-hum). I could go on, but this is an Absinthe forum.
Hell you think Absinthe is $$$, try some aged single malts!

If you're just starting out I'd recomend a decent blended scotch like JWB. It's smooth, and a little sweet.

BTW/ there's no Thujone in Scotch and I've never noticed any secondaries :-)
Traineraz
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

So what would be a brand you'd recommend? Straight, or with soda?
Celticgent
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 6:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Scotch is definitely my favorite spirit. I'll agree w/ Drinkslinger on the single malt. I was weaned on Dewars, but now I'll only drink it if it's all they have. My wife on the other hand loves Dewars and dislikes single malts?! To each their own.

Any man who hates children and loves whiskey can't be all bad.
-W.C. Fields
Drinkslinger
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Scotch nasty? What are you drinking...dewars? Blended scotch is known for it's smoothness (although I dislike it's generic flavor). When you develope a palate for Single malts you will know the true beauty of Scotch.

Mmmm, you can taste peat, and the ocean and salt. Hell you can even taste the little girl that ran through the fields just before harvest.
Crosby
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Both of the Emile's develop nice character with sugar, especialy the Sapin.
Traineraz
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have yet to meet an absinthe that benefits from sugar . . . well, except the Nasty Sebor Strong. That benefitted from cauterization of the tongue, perhaps with tequila.

mmmm, Tequila. 1800 or Cuervo Especiale or better. Last weekend, I disgusted a friend of mine by sipping a shot of 1800 at the bar. He couldn't believe it. I thought it was tasty. Much smoother than, say, scotch. EWW. Nasty. Like Nasty Sebor Strong.

Why, oh why, must the NSS be so N?
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A good trial and error is always fun.

My uncle owns a sugar mill in mid Louisiana...we go out there and get pure cane sugar, thick brown and the refined white. Plus some molasses and some liquid sweetener…but, nothing beats the actual stalk of cane to chew on. He doesn't deal with the cubes that I know of...I will inquire, however.

(ding) Idea: Sugar Cane Swizzle Sticks! hmmmmm

Sprinkle some of the sticky brown down into a glass of Kubler...YEA!
Aion
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

For me sugar is necessary for all traditionally
made absinthes, not only to make the drink sweet,
but also to reinforce the texture.
Adding sugar increases the development of
the flavors imho, on the other hand it might
be a masking agent for the "not so good" components.
Traditional absinthe with a quite big lump of
sugar is still less sweet than e.g. Deva,
on the other hand Un Emile diluted to 43% with
no additional sugar is much sweeter than a
Single Malt like Lagavulin.

A.
Drinkslinger
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I use sugar depending on the absinthe. Deva gets zero... Kubler-F.Guy-Un Emile gets 2 dots per 2oz of Absinthe.
Zman7
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Most of the old pictures I have seen depict the sugar cubes as being somewhat larger, and more rectangular than those being sold today. I believe that in the old days they preferred (the alcohol drinking population at large)their drinks sweeter that what we are used to. Most of the old liqeuer/liquor recipes that I have indicate large amounts of sugar added to the creation of these drinks.
Destiny
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Several people have mentioned that they don't use sugar or prefer very little; but due to the obvious presence of spoons in the ritual, sugar usage was certainly the norm. Does anyone know if a more sweetened drink was generally preferred? I realize that much of it would be personal preference, but I wonder how absinthe was commonly taken? Were sugar cubes of yesteryear smallish, or of the larger tablet variety?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page