Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

The legality of it all

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Archive Thru January 2003 » The legality of it all « Previous Next »

Mr_Rabid
Posted on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 5:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And Vapo-rub.

Think I'm gonna make me a nice, tall, clotted glass of Vapo-rub cocktail. Now that's tingly!
Traineraz
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

BJ -

The stuffing reference was to thujone, not to Artemisias. I'd not want Artemisia absinthium in my stuffing.

If memory serves, tarragon and tansy are both also high in thujone.
_Blackjack
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't think that vermouth sold in the US has A. absinthium (Grand Wormwood) in it; if I am not mistaken, it uses one of the other Artemisiae. At least, there is nothing in the regulations that I can find which excepts vermouth from the ban.

As for stuffing, it's the SAGE that gives it thujone, not wormwood. And thujone from sage is A-OK, as far as the FDA is concerned.

(No, that DOESN'T make sense, but this is the government we're talking about here...)
Traineraz
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Unless it's vermouth or stuffing for chicken.
_Blackjack
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The way the FDA regulations are written, you cannot have wormwood (A. absinthium) of any sort in an alcoholic beverage intended for human consumption. You may have it in "finished foods" (but not drink) if it has no detectable thujone.
Destiny
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi ya JDM -

Personally, I wasn't too impressed with F Guy - it's okay, but I found the flavor nothing special. (Plus, on principle I object to the use of "modified" wormword.) If you go for the E68, I'd also suggest a bottle of Oxygenee. If you've never tried a La Bleue, give OS' a try when he gets more in. My opinion is that a good blanche beats the pants off of >95% of what's commercially available.
Drinkslinger
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah Pastis is legal. It's the non-approved wormwood and ancient politics that ban real Absinthe.

I don't like the new Pernod. For the $$ it's not much better than Deva.

Focus on the types you like. I dislike the sweet-anise-spanish like Deva. I love the La Bleue style (Kubler or Betty's.. no OS yet), and I find Segarra, Un Emile and F.Guy very tasty.

Taste and preference can be very subjective.
Jdm
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

now, pastis is legal in the u.s., no?
if so, is f. guy, with its genetic-lee altered wormword legal,as well? if there is no thujone one would think...
also, about to make another order, i've done the spanish and others i like segarra, kubler, f. guy, etc. what do ya'll recommend? i'm going for un emile, what else should i try? is the new fakey pernod worth it? thanks for your time.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page