Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Customs Problem

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Archive Thru January 2003 » Customs Problem « Previous Next »

Bellypock
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

e-mail sent.
Eric
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

bellypock
please do tell, or at least email me the info.
Bellypock
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That was me who had it happen. Kallisti, s'ok for me to post the shipper's info? Actually it was someone at customs who gave me the name of these shippers. Had no problems getting it from them and very reasonable.
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've heard this story before...Same story, same place. He had a "Friend" pick it up in NJ.

Don't know anybody in Jersey though.
Traineraz
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Try UPS or FedEx.
Artemis
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

AFAIK, the U.S. Postal Service refuses to ship alcohol (if they're told what it is they're shipping, obviously), period. It doesn't matter what state. Other parcel carriers have their own rules. Some states prohibit alcohol from being shipped in to a private individual by ANY type of carrier, but that's a separate matter that has to do with protecting in-state merchants from "unfair competition" and collecting taxes.

The reason Customs held up the shipment in this case is that they are obliged to uphold even those laws and regulations (in this case, those of the USPS) that they are not directly charged with enforcing.

Obviously they don't always follow their own rules to the letter, but it's apparent in this case that an individual customs officer or officers decided to do so.
Destiny
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

At my local "no-name" PO box/package-shipping place, there is a sign that lists certain states where you can't send alcohol by mail. Maybe Texas is one of them?
Eric
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Everybody,
I placed an order from Markus back in december. Yesterday I got a letter from US customs telling me they have detained my package because they cannot allow alcohol to be sent thru the mail. The letter says that I have to pick the package up in person, or send someone to pick it up for me. They are holding it at Jersey City NJ, but I live in Texas. Is there someone here that has had this happen before? Does any one here Know of a shipping company that could pick it up and then forward it to me?
thanks,
Eric

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page