Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

And a new French absinthe from the Le...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Archive Thru January 2003 » And a new French absinthe from the Lemercier Freres distillery « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through January 28, 2003Artemis28 1-28-03  12:46 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm not at libertine to discuss it.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Who's actually tried this Libertine? What are your impressions?
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Moonman tells me he doesn't agree with replacing all a.absintium by a.pontica and calling it "absinthe" but using lot's of pontica in a recipe *together with a.absinthium* can produce nice results.

Unfortunately, quality A.Pontica is difficult to find unless you grow it yourself and that requires lot's of place compared to growing a.absintium. Why ? because grand wormwood grow at least twice as large as roman wormwood...

Do we have a hint there ?
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The absinthe tasting in Pontarlier was a rather curious affair. Only those absinthes on sale in France were allowed to be entered in the competition, so there was no Un Emile 68. The judges were established names in the absinthe world, such as MCD and Benoit Noel, but not professional tasters or distillers.
Destiny
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Curiouser and curiouser...

(I love ellipsis as you can tell ... if don't like them... go to hell...)
Artemis
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Am I wrong?"

For coloration, you are correct. It would be much more bitter if they used even a little more Pontica.

As to what it would taste like with Pontica substituted for Absinthium in the *distillation*, which is a whole separate matter from coloration, it would probably taste much the same, only sharper and more fragrant. No point in it, though, it would be almost like using truffles for regular mushrooms in a recipe, if what I've read on the matter is correct.
Destiny
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wait! As I understand it, A.Pontica is used in the correct proportion/time in the coloring step - using it more extensively would make the product much too bitter. Am I wrong? If the product has no A.Absinthium and uses A.Pontica in it's place, what would that taste like if there are no masking ingredients? Perhaps it just uses a very small amount of the A.P. where the A.A. would normally go, but then would the product actually contain very little wormwood?

I'm lost...

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page