Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Emile 68 - La Fee

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Archive Thru January 2003 » Emile 68 - La Fee « Previous Next »

2loucheltrec
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

my original recipe is foodservice size, feeds around 40-50 people (depending on portion size), uses around 1.5-2 cups of marsala, i'll scale it down to 8-12 portions... it's also is an excuse to to use up some absinthe i can't pour in my glass any more.
Artemis
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"hello to those who remember me"

I remember you. Met you in New Orleans. Good to see you.
Emmy
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i made a batch of absinthe bread pudding like a year and a half or so ago for a Bastille Day pickinick we had in Golden Gate Park...

Kallisti, do you still have the pictures up? Also there should be a thread with photos of the pudding somewhere in the archives...

it was very very camp :)

i used freshly baked panetone from a dutch bakery i used to live near in oakland, evaporated milk, eggs, only a little sugar i can't recall the recipe exactly (it's probably on a piece of paper at my ex's house)... and i used primarily Segarra with some Deva as well... a lot hehe... and since it was for a picnic, i baked it so it was nice and thick enough to eat as finger food without mess...

if memory serves me correctly, there ended up being like over 2 ounces of absinthe per piece, pieces being about 1.5 inches by 3 inches by 1.5 inches or so...

as one of the folks there said, it was "evil good"

and for extra cheesiness, i used food coloring so it was this amazing bright green color.

p.s., hello to those who remember me :) i been away from these boards for too long hehe
Destiny
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sounds interesting but I hope the receipe doesn't call for 8oz of E-68 - that would be very expensive bread pudding!!!
2loucheltrec
Posted on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"mmmmmmmm, absinthe cupcakes! "
since my return from vacation i've been tinkering with a recipe for bread pudding with (you guessed it !) absinthe... when it moves from the experiment phase ( suits my taste ) i'll post it here for all to try...
Destiny
Posted on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Comparing the two side by side, I get an "extra something" from the LaFee - a slightly pasty aftertaste that I contribute to the fake coloring - I dunno, maybe it's the oil, but I get the same slight aftertaste when I eat a cupcake with lots of those colored sprinkes.

mmmmmmmm, absinthe cupcakes!
Posted on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Greenmeanie,

You are correct... my bottle is new.

Once I get my La Fee, I'll let the Emile sit for a bit. As of right now my stock consists of the Emile and the anise-less Mata Hari. So, needless to say, it'll be hard to set the Emile aside for "a month or two" right now. :)

Thanks for the insight and I'm glad that the extra taste and scent was noticed by others as well.

In all though, Emile 68 is truly a wonderful drink. It's just so smooth!

"Like Butt'a"
Greenmeanie
Posted on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm no pro here by a looooong shot but I too have noticed that "something". It is VERY familliar yet I can't put a finger on it.

Lemme guess, your bottle is new, yes? Try this: put it away for a month or two and then try it. You will be AMAZED! It's like a whole different brew. New is good, aged is better.

A while a go I started, what turned out to be, a long thread about this very topic. My first bottle had that "something" and a VERY SLIGHT {cringing from thread memories} fishy smell. The fishy was noticed by some and not by others. It set off a long and heated thread that I will avoid here. I put the remainder of the bottle away for a couple of months. After cracking it open I noticed that all "unpleasantries" were gone. Consensus has it that the smells were due to "still shock". Something that has to do with production that I do not totally get but it is not fatal too the product. It just needs to sit and aerate, like wine.

My subsequent bottles have been lacking in fish yet still containing the "something". The fish and "something" did not render it undrinkable, just a bit strange. The "something" stuck around after watering and the fish was diluted out.

I've purchased Sapine several times and there was no fish and no "something".
Zman7
Posted on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

La Fee, as it is now, is an oil mix with artifical color. Emile 68 is a true distilled absinthe, with no artificial color.
Posted on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm trying to distinguish the differences between La Fee and Emile 68. Since I'm currently out of La Fee, I can't compare the 2 directly but I've noticed that Emile has a 'something' that you notice ever so slightly. It's about the only thing I can think of aside from the color and louche between these two.

Does anyone have any insight into just what that 'something' is. It was throwing me for a bit last night trying to figure out what that taste was.

I'll still say La Fee is my favorite but after another night of Emile I may be changing my tune shortly.

Also, the initial scent has that extra something that you don't smell with the La Fee.

Maybe it's just me...

Is there anyone out there who has compared the two side by side?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page