Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Aion...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Archive Thru January 2003 » Aion... « Previous Next »

Bjacques
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh god. That reminds me. In the next week or so I'll try to upload a pic of this wonderful homage to the Green Fairy done by Dutch artist Peter Pontiac. He did it for a friend who brought him a bottle from Prague (yeah, I know). He might let me take the photo if I watermark it or something.
I_B_Puffin
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I always liked that picture. I guess everyone else does to since it's been copied so many times.
Nolamour
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes,
Talk about "heavily Photoshopped," I always wonder what the label will be on my next La Bleue.
I have one that is sooo over done that the poor dead Fairy is almost yellow and she blends in to the damn ground.

...and of course, the so called artist (sender) uses the bottom white portion to put his/her own cheaply pixelated *John Hancock.*
Admin
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And for those of you who have been around long enough, the dead fairy was part of my original logo.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oxygenée, you make my day! (Laughing) How on earth do you know so much about these things?
Oxygenee
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Aion's wonderful postcard is based on a drawing by the artist AH Gantner that originally appeared in the Swiss satirical journal "Le Guguss".

Guguss was the brainchild of the Genevan satirist Louis Bron, and was published from 1894 onwards. From about 1905, when the campaign to prohibit absinthe really gathered momentum as a result of the Lanfray murders, Bron used his magazine to campaign passionately for the survival of the Green Fairy, which for him was one of the symbols of Swiss liberty and independence. His diatribes against the prohibitionists were almost always profusely illustrated with marvellous drawings by Gantner. Usually they show an emaciated pointy-headed temperance campaigner, often with a clerical collar, emblazoned with the Blue Cross, symbol of the Swiss temperance movement. Many of these satirical drawings by Gantner were issued in postcard format, between 1906 and and around 1910.

I can't make out all the text clearly on Aion's postcard, but the basic idea is that the Swiss temperance campaigners together with the German schnapps producers (for whom of course absinthe was an opposition product) were strangling the life out of the Green Fairy.

Of course, by far the best known of Gantner's drawings for Guguss is the last one, entitled La Fin de la Fee Verte, published in the issue of 15th October 1910, a week after absinthe was finally prohibited in Switzerland. It shows the same pointy-headed prohibitionist triumphantly trampling on the murdered body of the Green Fairy, while in the background Helvetica slumps dejectedly, no doubt depressed by the loss of this essential Swiss freedom.

So popular was this issue of Guguss, that the following week the magazine offered a colour lithographic poster of the image (the original version was a black and white pen sketch), printed on high-quality paper, by subscription at the princely sum of FR 1.90. A few of these have survived - I was lucky enough to find one last year (sadly though, the price was no longer FR 1.90....). Of course heavily photoshopped copies of this image are one of the standard labels for La Bleue.

La Fin de la Fee Verte
Aion
Posted on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

To be honest, I´ve no idea were exactly
I have that image from.
Maybe I found it on Google/Pictures.

Maybe Oxygenee, Petermarc or Absinthedrinker can answer your question, they know almost everything about absinthiana.

A.
Posted on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Where did you get the image for your profile?

Do you have any information on the history of the image of the Swiss character that looks... well... sort of dead?

Thanks!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page