Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Dale Pendell's new book is out

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » Dale Pendell's new book is out « Previous Next »

Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pharmako/Dynamis, the companion book to Pharmako/Poeia (the-book-that-launched-a-thousand-stills), is finally out.

The long wait is finally over...so why do I feel this slight pang of dissapointment?

The writing is vintage Pendell. Is it the coincidence of our ages (about 50) that makes some parts (like the vision-quest) resonate so closely? Or just the pleasure of meeting the closest we would ever get to a Renaissance Man?

So why the dissapointment? Is it because I don't find the Excitantia of P/D (coffee, tea, coke, speed, mate) really exciting? Especially compared to the Inebriantia (wine, beer, distilled liquours in general and, of course, absinthe) of P/P. And NO do-it-yourself...

Unless you fancy to cook meth, a hobby that would quickly put you in contact with gentlemen that make the ATF look like boy scouts.

In P/P, Pendell was sometimes terminally obscure. It became sort of a game to find out how many of his references I could actually understand. "Armies marching under reduced ephedrine". OK. Reduction is the chemical process that turns ephedrine into methamphetamine. Meth was used by the German armies during WWII. Yeah, I got it! Then the alchemy part came and...hey Chrisyppus, where are you?

In P/D, Pendell commits a graver sin than obscurity. He becomes academic. There is only so much we want to know about Aztec poetry or whether Amanita muscaria or Ephedra sinica were the Soma of the Vedas. (IMHO, they both suck as candidates.)

Still, I will wait with bated breath for his last book of the trilogy, the one about the Phantastica (Psilocybe, peyote, yage [ayahuasca]). Close to my heart, and I'm sure it's close to Pendell's heart too.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page