Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Optimalsmarts Sugar Cubes

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Archive Thru January 2003 » Optimalsmarts Sugar Cubes « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through January 30, 2003188884 1-30-03  7:06 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Etienne
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I B Puffin

Yes, those were the Kershaws. I can't remember the model name, the smaller ones of the series.
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

So if you want to keep a good absinthe bottle for a long time, age it in a vertical position...
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That same shipwreck was mentioned in Mme. Delahaye's recent book on absinthe's history. She explained that the corks rotted due to the absinthe's high alcoholic content.
Artemis
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Looks like they came out of the water. In one of Benoit Noel's books he mentions a shipwreck from which many absinthe bottles were brought up, but all empty. Some of the wine bottles still held their contents, though. I wonder why that was?

In olden times, people often threw their empty bottles into the privy (outhouse) hole. If you could locate such a spot in New Orleans, you could probably exhume absinthe bottles left and right. Many years ago I had a neighbor working on a construction site in NOLA. They struck a vaste horde of bottles, and he was allowed to take away all he could carry. His front yard was full of them as he washed them down with his garden hose, absinthe bottles such as those in the picture (no labels, of course), poison, perfume, and everything in between.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Too bad these unhygienic bottles weren't individually wrapped, eh?

my picture
_Blackjack
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

It is acceptable for a person to order from another country where absinthe is legal and to receive personal quantities of absinthe for personal consumption and use.

As far as I know, there is no legal basis for this assumption. While customs does make some exceptions for "personal use", this is not a blanket policy. Customs' own publications indicate that absinthe cannot be brought into the country at all. Now, this may not be readily enforced, but that doesn't make it legal. They have certainly been known to seize individual bottle in luggage.

Now, Opies middle-man service may in itself not be illegal, but his assumption that an individual purchasing absinthe from overseas is totally within the law, is questionable.

This is nothing new, of course. Ordering through Opie is no more or less legal (or assured) than ordering directly from SC or LFV. His prices are going to have to be pretty impressive.

One last thing: in matters of importation, the burden of proof is NOT on Customs. If they seize something, it is up to YOU to prove that it is legal to bring into the US.
Admin
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

all done!
I_B_Puffin
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Etienne, you are talking about a Kershaw knife aren't you. I have one, they are sold in most states without any problem?

I see switchblades sold in my state occasionally, I think they are allowed to be owned, you just can't carry them since they are considered concealed weapons.
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I emailed Kallisti to see if they can remove the questionable content...
Absinthespoon
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I didn't know about the time limit, I guess you do learn something every day.
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Absinthespoon-

I tried that earlier but because the post is more than 180 minutes old, it won't allow me to do that.

Sorry guys...

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page