Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Can a piece of metal and glass provok...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Can a piece of metal and glass provoke a piranha-like frenzy? « Previous Next »

Oxygenee
Posted on Wednesday, February 5, 2003 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The buyer got - relatively speaking - a bargain. One of the underbidders at just below the final sale price was a dealer. I've seen them sold before in the EUR 1200 - EUR 1400 range. It's not that rare, but it was in unusually fine condition, with the original seesaw, and its an item that every serious collector wants in his collection.
Etienne
Posted on Wednesday, February 5, 2003 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

David;

Any thoughts on the Oxygenee individual fountain that sold on eBay? I'm told there's a similar one going at auction in Switzerland with a E1200 reserve.
Oxygenee
Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2003 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The fountain dates from around 1890-1910, and is genuine. I'd imagine the reserve would have been around EUR3500 - EUR4500.

The best known and most desirable version of the "Coq" fountain is the one made for Absinthe Terminus, which has publicity both on the glass, and on the base. But its also quite often seen with plain (and frosted) glass and Terminus publicity only on the base, and also, like this one, with both plain glass and a plain base. I've also seen Coq fountains with advertising on the glass for other distilleries.

Its difficult to say whether they were produced like this at the time, or whether this is the result of a subsequent patch-together as Etienne suggests. My guess is that they were produced in a variety of forms at the time, and that Terminus did not have exclusivity on the Coq.
Crosby
Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2003 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cute!

Age & maker of the fountain.
Lint
Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2003 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

its a chicken feed dispenser.
Crosby
Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2003 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It ended at E2810, reserve price not met. Does anyone know what this piece really is?
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"It puts the louchin' on its skin, or else it gets the dose again."
Nolamour
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Killer...it sits on the glass:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3204484933&category=3269
Etienne
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

McDonalds has chicken nuggets.
Destiny
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chickens don't have nuggets, but cocks do.
Raschied
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Almost 2 grand, and the RESERVE isn't even met yet?!

Better get that third mortgage...
Vortex
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can't believe people are actually willing to bid that high on an item from a seller with 0 feedback
Etienne
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just wonder where this thing stands in relation to the famous Terminus fountain. I have a not-very good picture of the Terminus, the base on this one is a bit different, no advertising of course, but the chicken looks the same.
Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've seen that one before...or a similar item. I asked about the chicken's symbolism and found out that "The Cock" represents France.
Etienne
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nice chicken. Is it any good, or just a patch-together? Oxygenee, are you watching?
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Find out at ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2504341129&category=12

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page